1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by MsBwell, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Jellal

I feel encouraged to get people to call me the right name now. Maybe it's a small step but every step forwards makes me happier. Thanks for giving me your thoughts:smilewave

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, I think that would help make the transition to another name easier for some. For me, things were a bit harder because I went from Ashley to Bradley... So that was a bit weird. With this being not as drastic of a change though, I think that you are not going to have many problems :slight_smile:

3. Ryu

Ryu

There are letters in a name, like in most words, as an example, mine is comprised of eight letters.
    I'm sorry, I can't help myself.

4. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe if you focus more on their name than on their pronouns, it might be easier. For example, if your child was called Charlie (trying to choose a gender neutral name), instead of saying "she's over there" or "They're over there", say "Charlie's over there". That way, it's still clear who you are talking about, but there's less pressure on pronouns, and it would also help in making sure their new name is easier to use for you :slight_smile: Hope that helped.