1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of music did you grow up with?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yazuki118, Apr 26, 2014.

1. BiJimmy

BiJimmy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    60s music - because it was the 60s

2. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Country. I love country, but have grown to like rap, since I work in sports video editing and have heard it every day.

3. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

My dad liked alternative rock, and my Mom likes the Blues and Gospel, as well as classic rock.

Now I like any genre of music that isn't Rap, Hip-hop, Country, Christian anything(every song sounds exactly the same), or pop.

4. lucina

lucina Guest

I grew up with rock, mainly punk, but now I mainly listen to heavy/death metal.

5. littlemonster11

I grew up listening to quite a few different genres.

I would listen with my mom to whatever pop music (90s in particular) was on the radio, like Sugar Ray, No Doubt, Sheryl Crow... I remember getting into Journey and Cyndi Lauper in particular because of my mom also. She introduced me to 80s pop and some 70s music.

My dad introduced me to classic rock such as Kiss, Motley Crue, Joan Jett, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, etc. Because of him and my grandmother, I also grew up listening to Tejano music.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

My mother and father tended to listen to anything from the 60s to the 80s, so everything from Aerosmith to ZZ Top. I had a younger sister, so a lot of Pop music and boy bands crossed into my ears a lot.

In elementary school, it was all about 90s rap. I'll never forget how many kids sang that " Whoomp, there it is!" hook, back then. It wasn't until junior high that I came into the likes of Insane Clown Posse, Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, Green Day, and the Sex Pistols. From here, it expanded into Rap, Punk, and Metal, with the likes of Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, The Dead Kennedys, and Metallica. Pretty much, anything except Country. The only exception I could make for Country back then was, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia".

Nowadays, it's primarily Punk, Rap, and Classic Rock. But I'll listen to anything, so long as I like the sound of it. As I've mentioned before, the only type of music I have a hard time listening to is, "screamo".

7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom really liked playing the soundtrack to RENT :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

She played a bunch of Matchbox Twenty too. She claims to have played a bunch of other stuff but I seem to have forgotten it all.

8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    old country, still like it.

9. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mainly duran Duran and creed, eminem when my parent weren't looking
    Now it's still what my dad listens to, so sevendust, 10 years, alter bridge and stuff like that

10. idkgrrrl

Under my mom I listened to R&B, Tejano, some country, 80/90s pop and under my dad I listened to black sabbath, led zeppelin, system of a down, Motörhead, iron maiden, hendrix, and AC/DC.

Now I guess I'm more into music from the 80s (the cure, Duran Duran, the smiths)

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

My parents were hyper-protective so I only listened to bad kids music for years then one day I guess they gave up and just listened to classic rock all the time. My dad semi-secretly likes jazz a lot and my mom openly loves heavier rock stuff so I got a little of that from both of them, but now I just like weird shit and old (old) country and 90's rap so idk what happened.

12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I grew up on really cheesy Christian music as a young child. That and some occasional oldies.

When I hit 7th grade, I would secretly listen to LovePhones and later Loveline with the sound down low, mostly LovePhones with Dr. Judy at 10 PM. It played on a rock station. When I was bored, I would turn the radio on 10-15 min. earlier and listen to alternative music, then I got hooked and have been ever since.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything from Maroon 5 to Lady Gaga to Tim McGraw. I grew up listening to everything.

14. edgy

edgy Guest

punk pop, power pop/rock stuff... notably Avril & 182

also some random jazz-swing stuff

15. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a contrast for you, my step dad was a "bible-believing, god fearing Christian" who listened to gospel and people talking in tongues sometimes.

My mom ....listened to metal. \m/

16. Alfhild

my mom is a classical musician so ive heard classical music literally everyday of my life she listens to it in the car and all the time at home
    funny enough im into hardcore electronic music lol

17. norasariah

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lots of pop. Britney Spears, N*SYNC, Hilary Duff, Aaron Carter.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Pretty much this plus a little further into metal (Metallica and the like), with the one outlier being my that my father loved Nirvana for some reason (probably because he was living in Seattle when Cobain was just starting out).

#58 Browncoat, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. straightqueer20

godsmack disturbed fighting for five green day offspring nickelback strauss Vivaldi some metalica alice in chains LOTS of alice in chains nirvana soundgarden Alanis morisette some evanescence and the cardigan the cranberries and sixpence the richer some sarah mclanahan as well seether before seether was seether bach tomaso albinoni some maroon 5 and pearl jam and some bush

#59 straightqueer20, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014