What Are You Thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fiddledeedee, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iHateThinking

Algebra and Intro to Engineering Homework, then off to re-purpose some chicken my grandmother made tonight and turn it into stir-fry (or I'll at least try to).

For some odd reason, Engineering is so cool yet so... challenging. We're starting an overview of Systems Engineering and tomorrow we're gonna look at Rube Goldberg machines. I'm actually looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you think I feel? :bang:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

[YOUTUBE]eqqSa9n2ZQk[/YOUTUBE]

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This a million times

5. The worst part is not knowing why.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. And they won't even say when they'll be back. The explanation I got for that is, "to encourage them to come back." Banning someone is a good way to ensure they don't come back. That's what the term "ban" means. I've probably said too much already, feel free to delete this post.

7. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  8. Sitri

I feel like a M.C. Escher painting.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :tears: Y U DO DIS?! :tears:

AwesomeGaythiest, the sad thing is, we can all probably guess why. And that one rule (not that I'm advocating to take it down by any means) is probably why they don't come back, anyway. My guess is that Emptyclosets isn't the only LGBT support forum anymore, so there may have been other places that they may have gone to. I know why the rule exists. I've seen Martin's posts, and they're all completely reasonable, and for what we have, it seems that it's the only way it can be. So again, I'm not saying "let's take it down" because that would be inviting death to the forum. I have ideas on a few things to keep the same flow and to keep the same level of security, but I'm not a staff member, and I'm not even sure I'm in the position to even pitch those ideas. Chances are the mods may have even discussed what I'm thinking and have ruled them out for very good reasons.

I could be completely wrong in my guess on why they are banned. But none of them have been harmful to anyone (or at least that I've seen), none of them have been counterproductive to the main purpose of this forum, and they all in their own ways have helped with it. The sad thing is, we've had some of the most supportive members leave here, and probably because of the one rule that agitates us all. I don't think I'm the only one in saying this, but I do wish there were another flow that keeps the same level of security while at the same time keeping even our most supportive members.

I may be going off-topic with this part, but there's something I've had in my subconscious, and I'm not entirely sure if I'm the only one on this. This is a support forum, and I know for a fact that I'm doing much, MUCH better than more than half the members here. Because of that, I do feel obligated to support someone and not get caught up in my own work, even though I have truckloads of it. I think some of those members might also have that with them, and simply posting in a thread might not be "enough" and that they may have to further themselves in aiding whomever they're supporting, and they end up in a position that's against the rules, but they're in a position that is "morally right". I'm not saying "This is exactly the case". I'm saying "I'm wondering if this is the case".

In either case, I do wish I could do more. But sadly, simply being a member only means that I can sigh and say "farewell"

10. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Wrong. The reason we don't discuss ban lengths is out of respect for the member's privacy. It has nothing to do with "encouraging them to come back".

11. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boy you seem irritated.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On another forum I'm on, there's an entire section dedicated to "bans and infractions". By rule, the site staff must create a post on each person they give a warning, infraction, or ban to, stating the reason, message to user, and rule violated. The mods seemed to have a lot of fun with those at times, and several members have admitted to browsing the section for the commentaries alone.

Of course, there were times a certain user who had crossed the wrong person ended up banned with no explanation in said section, but with all the politics that went on behind doors, that's no surprise at all.

I wouldn't expect something like this on EC, though, being a support site, but it's always fun imagining what such a situation might look like!

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh you guys... *limp wristed wave*

I think more of my friends have been banned than some of you combined...

14. Niko

Ugggh I feel so alone right now... :frowning2:

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We know our moderation is stricter than most forums. We don't feel that prioritising the right to safety, security and privacy over "brutal honesty", misrepresentation and predatory behaviour is something to apologise for.

16. Zac

Zac

I want my voice to be deeper!

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I've been on EC for a long time and some of my favorite posters have been banned in the past. But they knew the rules, and even when I was a member I had told them of it. And then they broke it, and it wasn't what I would have wanted to see happen, but it's something that had to be done. EC is a very rare and special place among the horde of troglodyte forums on the internet and that doesn't just happen on its own. To keep EC safe, that's the way it has to be.

...and on that note, the reason I originally came here. My newest obsession. >.>

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta9C7O5ULxU[/YOUTUBE]

18. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Got really anxious, started hyperventilating. Stopped after about five minutes. Really nauseous, throat's tightening up. Got really dysphoric and sisters were being especially grating. Really not sure how to handle it besides waiting for it to pass. :\

19. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^I hate anxiety attacks. I always have to go outside when they happen, even if it's really late. The only remedy for me has been getting fresh air. Today I woke up after a nightmare choking, almost as if I had strep-throat because my throat had tightened.

I'm glad you're better now. (*hug*)

20. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I usually have to lock myself up somewhere, like in my room or a bathroom until I've calmed down enough to function. Throat still feels really tight- doesn't usually happen, usually I just hyperventilate, get lightheaded, and it's over with. I don't know what it is. Can't be real panic attacks. Those are supposed to feel like heart attacks, right? I've had attacks like what just happened that have lasted all day but I didn't hyperventilate the whole time- just felt like I was cracking. Can't always get outside when they happen but I've noticed it helps when it's especially bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.