1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What’s your unpopular opinion?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Andrew99, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My unpopular opinion is similar to what a previous poster said. Thousands of years ago when life was short and modern medicine didn’t exist, I believe it made sense to value procreation. Many people lived short lives and many mothers and babies died in childbirth. Now we have over 8 billion people in the world and there are issues with fresh water supply. I believe that people who don’t want kids shouldn’t have them.

I also believe that what is said in sacred texts needs to be put in context and it doesn’t make sense to value be fruitful and multiply the way humans used to. I’m not suggesting limiting numbers of children for people who want them. However I think non procreative intimacy/sex should be honored as a way for people to enjoy intimate lives without bringing children they don’t want into the world. I think this is true of both heterosexual sex with birth control and access to abortion and same-sex intimacy when the couple chooses not to have children. People contribute when they don’t bring unwanted children into the world, whether they are straight, gay or somewhere in between.

#601 Silvermoon55, Aug 3, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  2. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hookups are toxic. Apps like G***r devalue people and make relationships purely transactional, and having a hookup with someone is akin to just using them. Fwb is slightly different if there is a genuine friendship, but yeah, being intimate with someone you've never met before then never seeing or thinking about them again, like having sex with someone you don't know and honestly wouldn't miss if they disappeared tomorrow, just feels screwed up to me.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree 100%.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can have a healthy relationship with your SO and never argue.

5. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. I would definitely not be able to do this. I just couldn’t trust a total stranger enough to be that intimate with them.

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'll go with what, on this site, will probably be a really unpopular one.

While hookups certainly can be toxic, they don't have to be. I was out and single for about five years and during that time I hooked up a fair amount--my guess is people on here would think it a shocking amount. I remember pretty much all of it fondly. I'd meet someone out and about, we'd chat for a while and eventually the idea of going back to his place or mine would come up and if it seemed like it would be fun, I'd do it. To be honest, my favorite part of all of that was laying around in bed chatting afterwards, often for hours--it's amazing what can ensue when it's just you and some other person and the moment, not you and them and your ideas about how they will or won't fit into your life. I remember one guy sheepishly brought out the screenplay he'd been working on for my opinion. I remember lying around one guys apartment all day reading his comic book collection with him. I remember lots of times laying around either in bed or on the living room floor surrounded by CDs (yeah, I'm old) as whoever was hosting tried to come up with amazing music the other wasn't familiar with--this is actually how I got turned on to opera. I remember lying in bed tracing each other's scars and telling the stories of the various adventures that had marked us. Not to mention meeting my husband of 25 years.

There was a guy or two that ended up being friends, but that wasn't the goal. Usually, it just ended up with exchanging knowing glances at parties or winks at the gym. But I never once felt used. The thing is some people use other people and some don't, and you can use someone for an hour or a lifetime; and you can have a meaningful human encounter that lasts an hour or a week.

Just my two cents.

7. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with just about everything you’ve said and have had similar experiences. But hookup apps in particular just seem to be mostly populated by either toxic people just looking to get off, or people who are in serious trouble with their mental health / self-image. I think if you were single today you’d be shocked by some of the stuff that goes on. I have heard some real horror stories from friends.

8. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Here’s mine: glam rock is the ultimate form of music.

9. Silvermoon55

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If glam rock includes Freddie Mercury and Queen then I agree with you.

10. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’d prefer Kiss or Motley Crue but don’t mind a little Freddie.

11. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dislike bands like The Rolling Stones, the Police, the Barenaked Ladies, Bachman-Turner Overdrive and a lot more.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chefs not accommodating food allergies is discrimination.

13. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They don’t have to be. Nothing wrong with a one night stand if it’s something you want and expect nothing more from it than having some fun without obligations.

But I’ll agree such apps and websites do attract a number of pretty toxic people.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    White and grey house interiors need to go.

15. Shane is tired

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    FIRST: The whole world isn't free. Every country promotes some hate among their people—based on skin colors, religious beliefs, nationalities, genders, or sexual orientations. I researched all countries out of curiosity, and none are entirely peaceful.

SECOND: Hate speech isn't free speech. Going online to spread malicious things and express hatred, wishing harm to a group of people just because of their religion, nationality, or sexual orientation should be a crime with jail punishment.

16. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Every country has some people that do this, either within power or ordinary people. But there is much difference in its severity for each country. It's not like: it's either black or white. It's a spectrum. Even if we look at the individual persons, virtually all of the people are imperfect. But they are very different.

That would be dangerous. For example someone can argue that the Holy books contain hate speech and therefore we should ban them. You would just open the door for more limitations.

17. Sammy1995

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people let sensitivity get in the way of art. People have every right to be offended but censoring art is an authoritarian impulse. It may be cliché to point out but you'll find sometimes bigots are legitimately talented. Humans are multifaceted. I don't agree with JK Rowling but I read all the Harry Potter books. I love Byron's poetry but the man was an arse and a bully.

18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After a certain point, trying to postpone death is inhumane.

19. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know you don't really mean what you've written but please avoid using inflammatory language. That word has been used hostily against many people, especially in this community and certainly against me. On the rare occasion I'd try to stand up to my wife she would scream at me "I'll tell everyone you're a f*****g f****t", I'd be terrified and I had only told her before we were married that had experience with men so I could be bi but I'm straight.

20. Tiago GA

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pineapple on Pizza I suppose