1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washington, D.C. for the Win Please

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, May 13, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

After recent legislation by the city council. America's only self ruling city, Washington, D.C. voted to recognize marriages for same-sex couples from other states. Less then a week after which, there are talks of later this year of introducing a bill that would allow people to marry in the city itself.

First they want to make sure it passes the 30 day review period by the US Congress. Since this is our national capital, laws after the mayor's signature are open for review.

Expect D.C. to offer full legal marriage benefits to same-sex couples. This would be the furthest south we have gone on such legislation which makes me hopeful about states like Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey in the coming months/ year.

http://washblade.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm?blog_id=25443

2. Just Adam

thats great :slight_smile:

3. Nodnarb

How awesome would that be to have marriage equality in the national capital?

It seems likely that we'll get New Jersey this year, but I haven't seen anything about Delaware or Maryland. I would assume all the traditionally 'blue' states (besides Penn) along the East Coast will come along within a couple of years tho.

4. Emberstone

lets hope congress passes it quick.

It should not be the right of a few people to take away equal rights from consenting adults in relationships that tend to be far more healthy than half the people who get married these days as it is.

5. Derek the Wolf

:grin: Step in the right direction

6. Emberstone

Yup.

Small steps get us there faster then trying to take huge leaps forward.

I just wish people could understand that we arent going to break into heterosexual people's houses and destory their wedding albums or something.

We are fighting for something that we seem to cherish and value more then the people who are trying to deny us it.

If these people truly charished marriage, this meaningful union *well, it should be, but with the divorce rate, clearly it doesnt mean much to 40% of them*, they would see why it should be cherished... not cause it pumps out babies, but because it celebrates love.

Isnt that what ultimately was the message of christ, love for your fellow man? fighting against the evil of hate? seeking to do good for others?

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Pelosi has said Congress would not intervene allowing it to become law. Expect same sex marriages to be performed there soon with new legislation by the end of the year.