1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is going to be the next President of the United States

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by A Republican, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's simple - "but Hillary supporters!!1!" is the only way Trump voters can take the eye off their bigots. Come and collect them, please.

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2016 at 11:53 AM ----------

People think they will be beaten to death, and when did you fear that? Go on, please bring me a list of Trump supporters terrified for their lives because of Clinton's supporters. Please show me every instance of racially-motivated violence from a Clinton supporter that is directly to do with the election! Go on!

I do not care about your views on Mexico. No offence. Shockingly, Latinos aren't all Mexicans and neither are they the only racial minority that Trump hates.
    Tell me about every time Clinton degraded men the same way that Trump degrades women. (Cis women like myself, at least, and trans women are probably even more scared.)

But no. Fuck their fear, right? Who gives a damn that minorities are being attacked by Trump supporters, now that you can get your own back?

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2016 at 12:01 PM ----------

Got it in one, CreativeMind.

However - statistics show that about half of the white woman population in the US DID vote for Trump. To which I say: what the fuck were you thinking?

"Grab her by the pussy" - that's your president.

2. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, I'm confused. Maybe someone with more knowlege can help me here?

I was pretty calm about the election results. However, my friend today told me this really long and complicated plan that republicans have to force gay children into conversion programs that use electroshock and vomitinducing 'therapy'. I love her, but I really can't believe that it's possible for them to do something like that. How much power does this government actually have?
    THere has to be some kind of law that can keep the government from running amuck, isn't there? I mean, that's what was keeping me sane. I thought that there had to be something that would keep people safe from like, internment camps. Can they actually do that? I still feel very strongly that they wouldn't be able to, and I'm really not one to jump into mass hysteria. I feel like this.... won't be as bad as people say it's going to be?

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I said at the bottom: Unless they're extremely brainwashed. Unfortunately....a lot of these women voters are conservative and usually religious, they come from a society that dismisses women and their voices. So they're used to it. They like Trump because he reminds them of their fathers and their old generation. It's so damn sad. They don't believe in women's rights or progress because of religion. I guess It's like gay men who say really homophobic things and attack "out feminine gay guys" because of their internalized homophobia.

Of course, some of Trump's voters don't even like him. They just hated Hillary more.

4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The women who voted for Trump were mostly married women. This isn't about being brain washed or ignorance, it is more about being in a family unit and voting as part of that unit. In general most people vote as part of a group in accordance to social norms. It is easy to find a narrarive that supports the choice of vote. So they trll themselves thst Trump isn't so bad, that Hillary is worse, that he is a man being a man or that he doesn't really mean what he says. Unfortunately, most of us will follow a similar pattern of development and the wider your family becomes the harder it is to view things in a purely independent way. In many ways this is one of the problems with democratic elections. It is never about choices by individuals, it is always based on wider communities and social norms. In other words, people voted as they did because they are human beings and they acted as such. The whole brainwash rhetoric is wrong in the sense thar we are all brainwashed by the community that we live in. That's how society works. How much of our words are truly independent and how much are based on patterns that we adopted as part of our social circle and community. :frowning2:

#184 Eveline, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, you have a point there. They may have been pressured to by their husbands and family.

Most people are brainwashed by something, that's called social conditioning. I have never followed social conditioning though, only my free will and free opinions. However, I am far more intelligent than most people are, so that could be part of it. It could also be my Aspergers talking that makes me unable to be affected by most social conditioning. Part of our condition is to refuse to believe anything that has no logical sense attached to it. That's also why I've always been a loner/asocial person. Because when you are too intelligent to be affected by silly illogical fallacies, the society around you can just come off as....idiotic/unrelatable.

It is not others' fault that they are easily brainwashed. But that's what it is. Almost everyone is affected by social brainwashing unless they are logical enough to know how to separate from it.

6. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    deep down its like the American people wanted him to win
    somehow shows the true colors of America
    #not as accepting as the world thinks huh?

7. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A letter to America from Leslie Knope, regarding Donald Trump - Vox
    This pretty much sums up how I'm currently feeling. That being said, I've still been a mess of emotions for the past few days. Mainly anger and sadness with a bit of fear mixed in. Despite that though, I won't let this control how I act in terms of my sexuality. Sure I may be afraid but that still doesn't mean I'm any less proud of who I am. I have this pin I got near the beginning of the school year that says "Out and proud" on it. I haven't worn it/attached it to my backpack or even let other people know I have the pin, but now more than ever, I'm inclined to just attach it to my backpack and let everyone know that I am Gay and I won't let fear take full control over me.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing as how not even a day after the election; Muslims, people of color, and those in the lgbtq community have been assaulted by Trump supporters, it does go to show how disgusting and deplorable his people are.

9. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's as you said before, CreativeMind: a lot of (cis) women are, sadly, used to this anti-women narrative and don't see it for the awful thing that it is.
    Starting a feminism debate isn't in my best interests - I know exactly how half of the (cis) men on this site feel about feminism, and it's never going to stop disappointing me how little they seem to care about us women, but there's just no point in starting something over it.

I don't exactly think that American women - mostly white as the results show - were pressured into voting Trump. If I'm honest, I don't think that pressure has much to do with it at all. However, I do think that less of those women would have voted for Trump if misogyny wasn't so normalised.

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's because when women complain about sexism at all, men always bitch and complain about it being "feminist trash" and write it off. I understand some women try to find sexism in stuff that isn't there at all, I get that. But they won't let us talk about sexism at all. Gay men hate women, just like straight men do. They're socialized to because of their male privilege and social power over women.

I understand debating feminism isn't in our best interest. I'm not even a crazy feminist. I'm just tired of MEN (gay or straight) being such sexist fucks, even on this website. I doubt these gay men would like it if I told them to stop complaining about their homophobia, and stop being a LGBT supporter because all LGBT supporters are heterophobes and whiny bitches. Maybe they should think about that before they use "feminists are garbage/misandrists". It's not like the LGBT community isn't full of heterophobes, whiny bitches, and general SJWs. Should I hate the LGBT community because I hate gay male sexists just like they hate "feminists"?

11. AlexTheGrey

Well, Pence is fairly anti-LGBT. Honestly, I think that's a bit of an extension of a claim that he supports reparative therapy which requires reading implicit meaning in his words from 2000 (which may or may not be there). A bit like how Obama does anything with FEMA and suddenly there's gonna be work camps according to some nuts. So the idea that we'll see Trump and Pence going on a spree rounding folks up is not what I would put high on the list of concerns.

Don't get me wrong, this is not going to be a good 4 years for the LGBT community, women and minorities. I expect to see some attempt to reinstate some version of DOMA. I would even expect it to pass. I would expect to start seeing some federal form of these "Religious Freedom" bills that are aimed at the LGBT community on top of it. I also expect to start seeing more federal movement on bills that would make it harder for women to access reproductive health services. And this notion of "America First", and the Task Force on Violent Crime is going to hurt immigrant communities and black communities by treating them like criminals rather than partners.

In general, I expect to see rollbacks on progress that has been made over the last decade. I expect to see rollbacks on areas that made progress before that, but have been fighting just to maintain that progress during the last decade (reproductive health, minority voter enfranchisement, etc).

Internment camps have been on US soil in the last century (Asian residents during WWII), and more recently, we hold people without trial off-shore. The real issue is that human rights abuses require someone standing up against them in order to even think about stopping them. So long as people are willing to look the other way, or demonize a group, that group can find themselves on the short end of a really bad stick. I'd like to think we are at a point where no politician could even suggest doing it to US residents without it being political suicide. But then again, I also hoped Guantanamo would be closed by now.

That said, it is always worth it to be vigilant and push back against anything that does appear. Pushing back against these anticipated civil rights rollbacks is probably the more pressing concern right now for the LGBT community. But if you are vigilant, you will also be there to fight back if someone does get crazy ideas and tries to implement them.

12. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Actually, statistics show that Hillary Clinton is one of the most honest candidates we've ever had in modern history.
    Source: Fact: Hillary Clinton Is One of America's Most Honest Politicians. Trump is one of the biggest liars

What should be a comfort to everyone though is that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, meaning that the majority of Americans do support women and minorities, and for them hope and love are more powerful than hate and bigotry.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Direct pressure? Probably not. But certainly the normalisation of sexism and misogyny played its part.

And even then, many women are more willing to identify with the privileges and security associated with white supremacy than the dignity of gender equality.

And that's really important to remember, because it wasn't just economic disadvantage that won Trump over. It was the relative decline of white middle America which that demographic didn't have the cultural resilience to endure which triggered a backlash. Economic pressure created the circumstances in which that occurred, but it was a distinctly racial and gendered backlash.

Because Trump's policies were sparse and his promises clearly hyperbolic to even the poorly educated, it was that cultural, racially-charged rhetoric that we must not ignore as a cause of his election. To pretend that economic pressures alone allowed an economic ignoramus to reach the greatest office in the world is foolish.

14. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

I am no longer going to wade through what has become a truly bizarre discussion...

but i wanted to say

all this squablbling ain't to useful

we need to organize .

I doubt any of us here, or all of us, can stop this election.

so -

we need to redouble our efforts

at activism, advocacy, and support

etc.

we need to UNITE

and ORGANIZE

and do something

15. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree. We need to find a way to kill the ideas in this nation that have lead to this current national disaster.
    We need to spread acceptance for minority groups, and find ways to continue to empower women.
    If college educated men and uneducated college women had not voted for Trump (these are demographics that did) there is a large chance that the electoral college would have cast enough votes for Hillary for her to have won.
    She has already won the popular vote though, meaning that the majority of Americans do not want a Trump presidency, we just unfortunately lived in the wrong areas, so our messed up system didn't work for us.
    We need to find a way to come together and unite.

16. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alright. I agree.

We need to try and make something positive out of this. Banding together to protect one another, and in fact all minorities, regardless of our own views, is the best way to move forward. Because the fact of the matter is, some people did vote for Trump out of hate, and some of his supporters are now harassing and attacking minority groups. That is an undeniable, indisputable fact - so, perhaps we ought to do our best to stop it.

17. AlexTheGrey

100% Agreed.

Except, Trump didn't get a surge of votes. He actually got fewer votes than Romney in 2012, and fewer than McCain in 2008. This is an issue with Democratic voter numbers just as much as it is an issue with who was willing to vote for Trump. Trump could have gotten every single vote, and lost in the EC handily if more people were willing to hold their nose for Hillary like the Republican base seemed willing to do.

Side-by-side screen grabs from Wikipedia on the raw vote tallies:
    I made a chart showing the popular vote turnout in 2008, 2012 and 2016. - Imgur

18. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family

Thank you so much for responding.
    Basically the conclusion that I've come to is I only have control over what I do. And I decided that I'm not going to let fear keep me from walking hand and hand with my girlfriend. Honestly I think we really don't know what will happen. But I believe in good people. I believe that there ARE good people. I think the best thing I can do is remain optimistic.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am extremely disappointed with the result of this election. I think the fact that someone like Trump could be elected president says a lot about the kind of people that live in this country. They're not the kind of people that I admire.

Everyone always said that Trump would bring change, and that's why they supported him. Well sure we need change, but not all change is good change. I agree with Trump on some things, but mostly... I hate him. I hate him so much. >.<

Not that I liked Clinton either, but I did prefer her over Trump. I wish it were easier for third party candidates to get elected.

I'm kinda ashamed to be a U.S. citizen. I wish I could move somewhere else. >.<

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trump just completely reversed his policy on South Korea

Some good news - Trump has promised to maintain America's commitment to South Korean security.

The bad news - not only is that a flip-flop, but if this trend continues then you will have a traditional president in foreign policy who largely maintains the Obama and Clinton/Kerry legacy but doesn't know anything about international relations. It would mean having voted for an incompetent man to carry out a competent woman's policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.