1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender and Pre modern Christianity

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jessie19, Nov 30, 2020.

1. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    After doing alot of research, i have decided to share what i have found based of early Jewish texts:

The long and the short comes down to early Jewish teachings (early christianity) had 6 genders, based on the terms bellow

Zachar: This term is derived from the word for a pointy sword and refers to a phallus. It is usually translated as “male” in English.

Nekevah: This term is derived from the word for a crevice and probably refers to a vaginal opening. It is usually translated as “female” in English.

Androgynos: A person who has both “male” and “female” sexual characteristics. In the Talmud, the androgynos is understood as someone who both has a penis as well as some female sex traits. 149 references in Mishna and Talmud (1st – 8th Centuries CE); 350 in classical midrash and Jewish law codes (2nd – 16th Centuries CE).

Tumtum: A person whose sexual characteristics are indeterminate or obscured. In the Talmud the tumtum has indeterminate genitals. 181 references in Mishna and Talmud; 335 in classical midrash and Jewish law codes.

Ay’lonit: A person who is identified as “female” at birth but develops “male” characteristics at puberty and is infertile. 80 references in Mishna and Talmud; 40 in classical midrash and Jewish law codes.

Saris: A person who is identified as “male” at birth but develops “female” characteristics at puberty or later. A saris is considered male, but has no penis or a very small penis. A saris can be “naturally” a saris (saris hamah), or become one through human intervention (saris adam). ftis status is also known as a eunuch. 156 references in mishna and Talmud; 379 in classical midrash and Jewish law codes.

Based on this it shows that every time you get bashed on about gender, we have evidence dating thousands of years back supporting that being transgender whats never supposed to be an issue but rather just a different classification on who you are

quebec likes this.
  2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Several of those are probably about differences of sex development. At least Tumtum being born indeterminate and Ay'lonit sounds like 5alpha-reductase deficiency. Andrygynos and Saris do sound like someone assigned one at birth who then lives against that assignment.

jessie19 likes this.
  3. jessie19

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly the who point is to show that even though people judge it now, at one point long before the modern take on everything was introduced, being transgender or a choice of gender was never frowned upon

4. EmilyWrite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's interesting. I'm not trans, but I know people who are and am a Christian. I had a lesbian friend bring up something similar to this his with me, already knowing I supported her and our transgender woman friend. I just don't get Christians or other people who hate and hurt any of you.

jessie19 likes this.
  5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    jessie19.....Thank you for that information! I"m always on the lookout for Biblical info that helps to show current day Christians, especially evangelicals that the Bible does not condemn the LGBTQ+ Family. I've done a lot of study in the New Testament. It's clear that the passages there that are used to condemn our LGBTQ+ Family are really talking about sex-rituals used to worship pagan gods. This info from the Old Testament is very welcome!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

jessie19 and musicteach like this.