1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(trans*) Coming out to grandmother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wolfxinxchains, Apr 17, 2014.

1. wolfxinxchains

How do I come out to my grandmother? I know she's accepting and not against trans* or bi people in general and everything I'm just so nervous. how do I do this tho? I'm planning on asking my aunt to help me too.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get her to sit down and take away anything sharp, hot and pointed! Seriously...

When I told my grandmother the first thing she did was go white as a sheet, lose all the strength in her arms and she walked slowly and aimlessly around the kitchen trying to find a distraction. That was her taking it well!

I've found the easiest thing to do is to just say the most important part.

"From now on I will be living me life as a boy." and if you have a new name "I would like you to call me **** from now on"

Don't bother mentioning trans unless it comes up later. I've found that my grandparents have taken it a lot better because they had that first line, which tells them the part they NEED to know, and then they can come to me for the parts they WANT to know later.

Good luck!