1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports related questions

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jp97, Jun 3, 2016.

1. jp97

So I have decided to play lacrosse next school year and this will be the first sport I have ever played. I would like some advice from anyone who plays sports or is just very fit.I would like to know how I can prepare myself for the sport and what are some recommendations to get in shape, since the only exercise I do is walking 2 miles a day from school and this will end when the school year ends. There is also going to be conditioning over the summer, what can I expect and is there anyway to get prepared for that as well. Any other advice is greatly welcomed as I have no idea of what to expect.

2. Brytaleith

I've never played lacrosse, but I've been on a sports team for five years and hopefully I can help a bit. I don't go to gyms, so whatever I'm suggesting here doesn't require gym equipment.

Running is always a good idea. Lacrosse involves a lot of running (I'm pretty sure I know that much) so obviously running is a good idea. Also it improves stamina. I used to run about two miles three times a week as well as short-range (approx. 40-300m) sprinting, but you do whatever you can do.

Cycling apparently strengthens thighs better than running, but obviously requires a much longer distance (that I'm unsure of). Also, climbing stairs exercises all the leg muscles and is a very effective work out. However, finding a suitable flight of stairs may prove difficult if you don't live in a place with a lot of high-rise buildings.

You might want to check drills online. Maybe there are some specialized stuff that lacrosse players do? Generally, push-ups and sit-ups seem to work for basic workouts, but I can't suggest anything specifically for lacrosse that will help.

Exercise regularly. You want this to become a routine. Getting friends to exercise with you tends to help with the run (I find it boring, because of a lack of mental stimulation but you may not). I did mine three times a week, but it's up to you.