1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should children be told about LGBT people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blaziken25, Apr 13, 2015.

1. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My 2 year old brother knows what gay is. He know that some girls have peeners and some boys do not. He knows that god loves you no matter what. If no one. Told me as a little kid, I do not know where I would be.

Ps you should unfriend that homophobic butt.

2. BonnieJ2604

Children in my opinion should not have to be treated about either but should also not have to be sheltered from either.
    I think all types of relationships should be taught to children around age 10 but children should just be exposed to it and work things out on their own until they are emotionally ready to learn about both
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3

3. Ashleigh16

At 11 I sort of knew but seeing it for the first time shocked and sort of grossed me out because I'd heard my mom say it was Wrong but that's it. Thankfully I figured out that she was wrong

4. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I dont see why they shouldn't. But yet this could be just me not being able to think straight (no pun intended...ok maybe).

5. RedSwiss

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Of course. Everybody says to their kids "Some people are black, and some people are white, and some people follow a god, but you have to be kind to everybody.", so why shouldn't they explain that about LGBT stuff also.

I was never, ever told about LGBT stuff, so when I was 9 at school, I was told about it by other students, but kids being kids just instantly thought it was weird, so I immediately assumed it was wrong also, which isn't right. Kids should be taught about LGBT stuff, and about how two men or two women can be parents.

Even when I was in secondary school or college, any sex ed themed stuff that would come up is dedicated to straight people, which doesn't help either, because I spent most of my teenage years on Yahoo Answers figuring out how guys have sex, while straight people get handed all the leaflets and info on how it works without hassle.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think if they ask about two men/two women holding hands or kissing, then tell them that some men love men and some women love women, but it's different than family members loving each other.

I know that when it comes to sex, you only answer the specific question they have, without too much detail about the rest. So I think the same can be applied to other questions concerning relationships, etc.

But it's up to their parents to decide what they want their child(ren) to know. It also depends on the child's age obviously. A 3-year old won't understand the concept, whereas a 10-year old might understand what you mean.

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I'm afraid my children would ask why a man and a woman are holding hand instead.
    And the question shall become "should I tell my children about STRAIGHT people?" :lol:

8. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally get the reluctance to start talking about sex too early with kids. A nine-year-old kid doesn't need an explicit explanation of sex, he/she needs to be a kid and deserves to experience childhood.

That doesn't mean that people should refuse to acknowledge we exist, which is apparently what some people want. It's as if telling kids that two people love each other is this terrible thing, and gay people must not even be mentioned because that would acknowledge we exist in this world. That, or the whole thing about recruiting kids into "the gay lifestyle," as if we're all on a cruise, drinking cocktails and eating chocolate and being really, really gay. No one wants to recruit anybody.

Meh. I avoid Facebook altogether.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

YES

that doesn't mean you have to tell them about sex til they can understand it for fucks sake that has nothing to do with this

10. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Children should know OPENLY lgbt people. Every children know lgbt people, but most children dont know OPENLY lgbt people.

11. RainDreamer

I don't see why not.

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I will refute any argument to the contrary as absolutely wrong.

Children are children, they are innocent beings. However, as one wise quote says, boats were not built to stay in harbors.
    They grow up, and as they do I firmly believe that they have a right to explore their curiosity. That includes access to the information of the world that traditionally is the domain of adults. It must, of course, be at a rate that is appropriate for learning.
    That knowledge will include reading, writing, the movements of the stars, our ancestral primate origins, the dynamics of other cultures than the ones they inhabit, etc. etc.
    LGBTQ+ is a significant component of the world. Thus it must of course be taught to children.

The ideal, of course, is that in the future, say, one generation from now, cis-supremacy and straight-supremacy as norms will be so dismantled that only light teaching is necessary. People will be allowed to choose their own identity freely, children won't be labelled at birth (to the extent that they are today), and children will know all about LGBTQ+ and won't think of it as a weird thing.
    Aah, the privilege of being free to dream <3

13. tscott

The easy answer is yes. The tricky part is when and how much information should be given. People need to listen about what it is the child wants to know. Keep it simple and limited to what is actually wanted.

14. bchamp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I believe they should. At least to a certain point.. of course. Nothing to vivid.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Probably at about the same time they learn about the birds and the bees. When kids learn about the birds and the bees depends on the kid. The right time varies for each kid.

16. candyjiru

We teach kids about heterosexual couples so why not teach them about LGBT couples?

A lot of people say that teaching about LGBT couples will mean teaching about sex, but that doesn't make sense as we teach about heterosexual couples without involving sex. I don't think any 5 year watches Cinderella and is like "Oh, and then the penis goes into the vagina!" (Aladdin might be a different story, though, lol)

17. anon991

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Of course they should. That's like saying its inappropriate to talk about black people and its only ok to talk about white people or saying that we should only be teaching people about males and not females. Even if the person you spoke with believes homosexuality isn't natural, he should still accept that people should be taught to understand something which around 10% of the worlds population claim to be. Education is the best way of tackling prejudice and hatred

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure there is no problem with it. Also children are growing up fast these days and chances are if nobody explains it to them they find it out for themselves.

19. kem

kem

20. Quiet Raven

Kids need to learn about LGBT people to avoid confusion.

If people learn about it at an early age it won't seem unnatural to them.