1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality Changed and family/friends

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by flippsiesplash, Oct 2, 2011.

1. flippsiesplash

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi i am flippsiesplash,

i wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction, my sexuality has changed questioning whether i am a lesbian but in the past i used to be attracted to men but now i have personal incidents happened to me with men that i feel may be why my sexuality may have changed. I am now attracted to women and have feelings for women but not for men.
    How do you tell someone your family and friends without fearing prejudice, because they may find out sooner than later.

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I think you'll know when you're ready to tell family and friends about how you feel, if you fear telling them right now then you're probaby not ready to tell them as you're still trying to figure out who you are

3. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC.

I'm trying to understand what you're asking in your post... Are you concerned that incidents involving men (I'm assuming bad ones) have influenced your orientation and made you a lesbian? I'm not convinced that happens. Bad incidents with men might make you NOT want to be with men, but I don't think they would make you WANT to be with women. But if you've experienced some kind of abuse then I would strongly recommend that you seek out some kind of counselling to help you work through that.

With respect to coming out, the above advice is true. Only you will know when to come out, and you don't need to do it before you're ready. We all worry about being judged by others, but the more comfortable we are about our own orientation the less concerned we are with what other people think. That's why it's often a good idea to wait until you've had a chance to really come to terms with it and accept it for yourself first - and feel good about it. THEN you're in a position to come out to others and to present it to them in a really positive light. If we come out and don't make a big deal of it, then those we are telling won't likely make a big deal of it either.

Good luck!