1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same-sex romance in movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Keller, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you think about same-sex romance depictions in movies and series, compared to depiction of straight romance?

I just noticed, while watching a series, in which storyline included same-sex romance, that it seemed to be much more engaging and emotional than a straight romance would have been shown… Or it is just because of desensitisation, of sorts, towards depictions if straight romance, as it is overt abundant?

2. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a lot more same-sex stuff on TV shows now. When I was younger, if there was ever any same-sex stuff it would only be in a film or TV series where exploring that relationship was the core focus of the film. But today quite often there are same-sex relationships portrayed where it isn't the focus of the story at all, or the thing that defines a character. The character just happens to be gay and that isn't a focus of the TV show at all. I guess it is a good thing, because gay people are normal people, and equally maybe it helps to normalise same-sex relationships with people who don't view that as a normal thing.

3. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely agree with you that it’s a good thing that same-sex romance is depicted in a matter-of-fact way, without putting an accent on it being gay.

I’m just puzzled wether those depictions are so touching because it’s still a relatively new thing in movies, or maybe the actors are so good, or maybe it’s just me having a thing for gay romance.

But I really hope those will help to promote acceptance among genera populations, we here have major issues with it, except for the younger generations, which are now told about such things in school and generally seem to be chill about it. (Albeit not everyone, the official inclusion of information about LGBTQ people into school sex ed program caused quite a s..tstorm. Local retrogrades could tolerate talking about gays, but when trans people were mentioned they seem to lose their minds)

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's all of it. There are a billion depictions of straight romance, some of which with the basis of the relationship being "This man and woman know each other and therefore they must have feelings" so it's overabundance. But, with queer romance, we have the personal connection of being seen. I do wish that we could move away from movies with a heavy "coming out/forcible outing" element and just let queer people exist, but that is starting to happen. Somewhat. More in TV than movies, I think.

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've noticed that I prefer the straight romances in shows where either a prominent side character or a main character is gay or bi etc and the relationship or arc is engaging.

I think it's because it shows that the writers can actually write romance in general. So the straight romances are also engaging rather than just 'boy meets girl. They have no chemistry. Girl meets another guy and she is conflicted. Neither man has a personality, just abs'.

6. Loves books

I like seeing lesbian romances in shows and movies even if they aren’t the focus because I’m a lesbian. I hate when they take formally straight characters and suddenly they’re gay. They did it very well in Buffy though, Willows relationship with Tara developed over time and they didn’t even realize what was happening between them, and Willow never went back to men. That happens too much. They’ll throw in a same sex relationship with one of the main characters but it never lasts. As long as a relationship is done well I don’t care if it’s straight or not. I love enemies to lovers storylines especially.

7. Violet Rain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of what we see is straight romances on TV, I think there is way too much of it... I find if I'm streaming something, and it's too focused on the man and woman in love without much else, I tend to skip the movie, etc, and go to something without a lot of romance in it, like a science fiction flick, or horror. If it's an LGBT+ romance on the side of the main plot, I'm tending to focus more on the movie, etc, than a straight couple. That's me though. I'm not sure about others.

I write romance novels, and that "guy with abs" thing, no personality, no good traits trope annoys the f...ing dickens out of me. So does the "all of the other girls of jealous of her looks and what she has" trope. :confounded: :zzz: *pukes* I prefer reading romance books with evolving characters, with more to the story than just the romance and erotic bits. There has to be a huge conflict, or a series of smaller ones to keep me engaged. I'm not sure if it's because I read too many of the books where it's mostly "sweaty aerobics between the sheets" in my teen years, or I hate shallow stories and shallow people in general. I find that if a romance has a lot more to it than just the couple "copulating" and let their relationship grown and change instead of bed hopping or waiting to the last page to get together as a couple (think 40 or more pages of him explaining everything before confessing his feelings for her and their first kiss), I'm more apt to either watch it or read it.

I like the contemporary stories where one character is LGBT+ too, either as a side or the main. I find it's much more interesting and more "real" than the ones without our community shown in some capacity.

Although MM romances seem to be hot book wise right now, and have been for eons.

Just my thoughts on things.