1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relocated/Isolated

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Thereishope, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Thereishope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi!

So I've recently relocated to a VERY small town for work, and I've been struggling to adjust. My colleagues are really supportive but they are all busy with their own stuff and families, and asides from being polite they don't necessarily care how I'm doing as long as I do a good job (which is fine, I can't force them to be my friends!). The thing is that I've been trying to get out there and meet new people, but it just seems like there's so little going on to begin with that it's been quite a challenge.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? How did you find a social group to interact with? I love my job, but I'm starting to ask myself if it was a good idea to move to such a secluded place...

Thanks for reading!

2. Maya100

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

I'm sorry you're struggling so much with isolation, it can be very depressing & I'm glad you can reach out here.
    You're right you can't force your work colleagues to be your friend but I'm wondering if there is ever any team building exercises your work does or work nights out? If there is, that's always a great way to become more friendly with them (I don't mean in a romantic way). Also, you could try looking at Facebook groups in your area if there is any or have a look at meetup.com which hosts meet ups for like-minded people in your area.

How long have you been in this new town? If it's not too long, you could maybe wait a few months before deciding if moving away is the best bet & see how you feel then?

Good luck!

3. Thereishope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey Maya100, thanks so much for your message! I've only been here for a couple of months, so yes, I'm hoping things will get better with time. The thing that shocked me is that even if I check out meetup.com or facebook groups, there's so little going on! I've never experienced this small-town kind of life, and I'm not sure it's for me.

I hope things change soon, but in the meantime thanks for your support, it's nice to at least have EC to get this off my chest

4. Maya100

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a shame there's nothing going on, If things continue like this, you could always start some sort of Facebook group or something & see if anyone is interested? In the meantime, while you're waiting for things to get better, do take care of yourself & remember you're never alone.

5. Thereishope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, @Maya100 !! it truly means a lot to me to read that :smile:

6. C281990

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey you could also try to join any meetup or facebook group even if its something not 100% your thing and who knows...you might find great people you can later hang out with orrr a new hobbie along the way :slight_smile:

7. Thereishope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's true... thanks! :thumbsup: