1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading the mind of an Asian parent

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dasazn, Aug 13, 2012.

1. dasazn

I'm not entirely sure where my parents stand on gay marriage/LGBT rights. I've mentioned gay people with my mother, in the context of "one of my good friends recently came out," and she seemed okay with that. However, I don't know if that's just her being okay with it because it's not her own son, or if that's her being okay with it in general. Is there another way I could bring this up to my mother in order to see if she is supportive of gays? Sooner or later (probably after college and when they're not paying my bills) I'll come out to them, but I'd just like to be able to try and predict their reactions beforehand.

2. enenigmaffx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd say it depends on how culturally conservative and/or religious they are (moreover the type of religion influences it too)

Are you the only child by chance?

If so, they may feel uncomfortable or will flat out disagree with it.

An implicit way to go about this is to ask about what she thinks you should do. You could talk about what your intentions are (but don't explicitly mention anything about guys or girls). Say like

Hey mom, dad, what did your parents expect when you and Dad met? (depending on your age too xD) and go from there. Look for hints about how they react to 'marriage' 'kids' 'grand-children'. Grand children seem to be a big thing for parents.

(Both of my parents are Chinese and religiously/culturally conservative)
    I didn't have much luck myself going all out (I was already dating a guy by then, and they flipped out). Try to gauge it as best as you can. Be ready to be understanding and open to talk about it. I left the door open for my parents to ask me about my boyfriend and my sexuality. (They were however averse asking about it and still are to this day) They didn't really shut down or shun me easily but they were definitely disappointed.

That being said, if you're unsure about coming out to them, you don't need to yet. If your mom reacted with "being okay" with it, there's a good chance she'll react 'okay-with-it' with you too.

I don't think you can predict how they'd react completely, but you could at least get an idea and work from there.