1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proof that pop music just SOUNDS THE SAME

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Helen, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

No, but you used the word normal, which is actually a synonym for average.

And I'm silly for going by the actual definition? Alright.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steven, chill.

I see what djt820 is saying. The music follows a relatively non-complicated, easily replicable pattern. In shorthand, it's simple. It doesn't mean the people listening to it are stupid.

3. djt820

Exactly. If I thought you were stupid, I would have said so by now.

4. 507bro

people say modern hip hop music all sound the same:icon_bigg

5. Smile

It's because it is what will sell.
    I just try to accept it. I give everything a try and I do like some of the songs but I try not to let the fact that many of them sound similar get to me. Then again I struggle to actually dislike/hate something...

I remember Maroon 5 said they are sick of making simple music but that they have to for a reason I can no longer remember, probably a combination of money and pressure from producers etc.

You can't expect everything to be amazing, creative, innovative and new either. There are always going to be those who jump on the trend wagon because it is what works at the moment and I am sure they will do their best to jump on the next one once it comes along.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

How does calling someone non-complicated or having few intricate parts mean anything other than stupid? He said the people were simple, not just the music, which is offensive.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh.

The Amish people, for example, consider themselves "simple." Not dumb, not inadequate, just living simple, austere, but very happy lives that are rich in other ways.

The Dalai Lama has, on many occasions, referred to himself as "a simple Buddhist monk."

Just let it go. He's already made clear he wasn't trying to be insulting, now you're just trying to make him wrong, and that isn't OK.

8. Shevanel

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFl0nlHaWa4[/YOUTUBE]
    Be a simpleeeeeeeeeeeee kind of mannnn.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This somewhat related.... though it refers to two songs by the same band.

[YOUTUBE]pvujgcbaCF8[/YOUTUBE]

EXACTLY the same structure.

no wonder they get shit thrown at them

10. djt820

I lol'd.

11. ANightDude

:lol:

It's hard to take this argument seriously, considering it comes up every time a new genre becomes popular.

1950's: Elvis and rock and roll aren't real music! Jazz and instrumentals are where it's at! (Said by mostly non-teens)
    1960's: Black music and the Beatles aren't real music! Elvis and rock and roll are more where it's at! (Said by mostly non-teens)
    1970's: This hippy stuff and disco stuff isn't real music! The Beatles and soul music are where it's at! (Said by mostly non-teens)
    1980's: This Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, U2, Madonna and MJ aren't real music! Disco is whereit's at! (Said by mostly non-teens)
    1990's: Gloria Estafan? Selena? Disney songs? That's not real music, 80's rock and roll is where it's at!
    2000's: Lady GaGa? Katy Perry? Enrique Iglesias? RAP MUSIC!??! That stuff isn't real music! Real music is (everything else).

While that may all not be true, it gets the point across. People love what they grew up with most of the time and stick with it. That's certainly not true for everyone, but come on. Go onto youtube and look at the comments. Older music says "This was real music!" while newer music says "This is real music!" or "This isn't real music!".

Why not? Hell, all music sings about the same thing, it's just become more open as decades go by. Music is about making someone happy, match their current emotions, have an idol or just let them have fun. That sure hasn't changed.

Claiming all pop music is a bit of an odd argument. Simply because certain tracks sound the same doesn't mean anything. It means... yeah, they sound the same. That's it. This decade isn't the first to do it, and it won't be the last. That's it.

12. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're being a bit hypersensitive in this thread, don't you think? It's apparent that your perception of "simple" is very different from djt's. Which in itself is fine. There's no need to get stir crazy after he explained himself.

I see for the most part where djt is coming from. Simple, like most words imo, is a neutral term. What matters is the connotation behind its use. In the case of djt, this connotation did not appear to be threatening or demeaning. I'm a fan of pop music. Sometimes, I need simple, upbeat, carefree, catchy music. When I'm having particularly shit days, pop music energizes me. I don't want dark, complex, depressing crap. Pop music is where I can find the former most reliably.

(And yes, I know that there is arguably "complex" or "depressing" pop music, and that just because something isn't mainstream does not make it "dark, complex and depressing." I made generalizations to make my argument simpler).

I like how you think.

#32 OutToSea, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  13. AlyssWonderland

And this is why people should just accept and appreciate music for what it is. Its music. Leave it at that. Listen to what you want, and don't give people shit for what they listen to.

14. Beachboi92

Thank you xD
    I mean yeah A Katy Perry and A Kesha song sound similar TO SOME PEOPLE. It isn't exactly an argument for all pop music being simple, sound the same trash...

Besides some of the simplest songs are the best because they just get the point across, for example i consider The Only Exception by Paramore a simple and amazing song. Just because something doesn't have guitar, and drums in it or something doesn't make it bad (maybe not your taste but not bad). Like ANightDude said this same argument that new music sucks has been going on forever and yet 20 years later people are calling it genius xD

Personally i was happy not to see Gaga's name anywhere on that wikipedia page xD I continue to find her the best Pop musician we have right now :x and the reason i like her so much is i personally find her songs rather complex, i always hear something new when i listen, like combining different layers of the song at different times. In fact i was listening to Love Game like a week ago and realized an entire new part of the song i'd never honed into listening to before, like a hidden caramel layer i had never tasted, only it involves a disco stick...

15. Miss Modular

No one in their right mind has ever claimed disco to be real/legitimate serious music.

Actually I think the point made here is the sheer laziness and blatant plagiarism of the two pop songs in question, not really the style or genre they're in.

16. djt820

Exactly ^
    We're discussing how modern pop is more or less, plagiarism. It's a formula, like I said. We aren't comparing genres and how elderly dislike today's music. Most pop songs today are made that way for a specific reason. Pop music suffers from this greatly and it's more than just present forms of pop like Kesha or Katy Perry. LOTS of mainstream music sounds the same even regardless of the era. There's always exceptions but that's how the majority is. That's why we have that famous G-D-E-C chord progression in TONS of pop songs. It's a formula for success in the mainstream. It's plagiarism in some extents and complete lack of originality; more so today. Also, the same goes for lyrics of those pop songs: Sex, drugs, breaking up, falling in love, etc. It's a formula.

#36 djt820, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  17. Shevanel

Just wanted to point out, I don't think that song is bad for any of the reasons you mentioned. I think the song is bad because it's horrible and repetitive song writing coupled with her sounding like a dying seal on the "are" portion of the everlasting chorus.

But that's just like my opinion man.

18. Beachboi92

i like it for the repetition of that simple and sweet phrase, and the sound of her voice is like sex to my ears. Along with everything else about the song that makes me want to sing along and cuddle with someone. To each their own :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Shevanel

If you want repetition and simplicity that results in absolute beauty, may I recommend some Philip Glass. :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w6a8pfG0V4[/YOUTUBE]

/endofftopic

20. Beachboi92

i love good music with no lyrics, then i get to imagine a story/images to go along with it. Like a movie soundtrack xD