1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partners loss and grief

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Broodyvamp, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Broodyvamp

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey everyone!

I'm in a tricky situation. My girlfriend recently lost her grandmother. They were very close and she was basically a parent to my partner. My girlfriend lives about 1 hour away from me. Getting back and forth to her is very easily fortunately I have time off work currently and a vehicle. My partner is not out to her family. They know me as a close friend at the moment. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle this situation. I do not want to become too close and out my partner in this difficult time. At the same time I want to be there to love and support her.

2. Really

Hey @Broodyvamp

I don’t think it’s odd, in any way, that close friends would be there for each other when one of them is grieving. You can be with her as much as she needs and just take your cues from her. Maybe send her a quick message saying you’d like to be there for her and could be there at X o’clock on Y day and would she like that? As long as you keep the PDA on a platonic level in front of her family, I’m sure it won’t raise any eyebrows.

Condolences to your gf. :hibiscus:

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This 100%.

One of the biggest things is just being there for her.
    If you have any questions (more so grief than the closet aspect) feel free to message/ reply me :slight_smile:

#3 HM03, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019