1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partnered Bisexuals, What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Andoni, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Threes alot of good social media support groups !

2. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are there any others that you recommend? I do like it here though!

3. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Y
    If you have a FB account theres plenty groups there

4. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I might be wrong but I haven’t seen a forum or community quiet like this one. Also where I live I don’t have access to actual lgbtq community centers, nor do do we have meetups or anything remotely like that so when I found this forum and interacted with some of the people here and advisors I really liked it.

5. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Jake. I'm not on Facebook but I might check it out if it's a good place to talk about this stuff.

6. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All we have are clandestine underground things and shady cruising areas and the apps which is in my opinion are mostly for hookups. Not for people who want to actually talk and build a kind of friendship and connection first.

7. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, the vibe here is really nice. Within sixty seconds of reading reddit posts etc, I want to throw my phone out the window!

Shame there's nothing like this near you. I think I might have to travel a bit for something like that but not so far it wouldn't be possible.

Bastion likes this.
  8. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So @Andoni what have you discovered lately about yourself or other stuff related to this topic.Your wants or needs Vs your relationship. I haven’t seen a lot of threads that you wrote maybe it was a while ago.

9. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, that's the frustrating thing. If society was more accepting, a lot of the less healthy aspects of gay life that people have to judge wouldn't be necessary. Things are improving though. I hope I get to see a time when humanity can love all of what it is. I think we're starting to see some promising shifts. Not everywhere, of course.

I'm not sure how to navigate friendships now that I'm bi and out. My friendships have been mostly with men and that was because I thought there was no sexual tension or potential for romance. I've had plenty of female friends at work but there have always been feelings at least for me or both with women I've been friends with outside of work, so I've tended to keep male friends.

I'm in a bit of trouble now too. I've been talking to a guy on a dating app the last couple of days and we're just calling it friends because I'm partnered.

We've really hit it off though and I do want to build a friendship but I think I'm on the cusp of having feelings. I haven't really been thinking about it so much from a sexual point of view but he's very attractive and if I was single, this is someone I'd date, based on the conversations we're having. It's a mind connection for now and it's not super flirty but we clearly like each other and there's flirtation in the air, even though we're not being direct about it.

It would actually be a good thing for me to explore a friendship with him from several points of view but I feel like I risk hurting someone.

I'm worried that being bi, it's going to be harder to make friends. I think the wives of my existing friends are wary of me now, even though I'm not sexually interested in their husbands. Men were always safe as friends before because I didn't think there was potential for them to be anything other than platonic friendships.

Not that I want to have sex with everyone I meet but you have some degree of chemistry with mates and I think it's the existence of that chemistry with my current friends that has their wives concerned.

Bastion likes this.
  10. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are quite a few of us on here that have very similar situations. In my case, I was in denial for over thirty years. Throughout my youth is was easier to pursue my attraction to females and supress my attraction to males. It seemed like there was only stright or gay, when I was a kid and gay was bad, not just bad but a horible, perverted thing.

All that being said, I pursued heterosexual realationships and had a good time doing that, especially while in the Navy. You know what they say, a girl in every port.

After the navy, I re-aquainted myself with a friend from my youth, who was just a friend, then a girlfriend, then my wife. We have a child and and had a great marriage. Due to health and phyisical issues, which also stemmed into emotional issues, our intimacey suffered for over fifteen years. I love her very much and have stuck with her and have no plans to change that.

About two years ago, many things happened with me emotionally. I lost my mom, my last living parent. Finantially we almost lost it all, of which I have no support as it is just me due to my wife's physical/emotional condition. Work pressures were horendous and I had some PTSD issues keeping me from sleeping regularly. Add to that my libedo was off the charts and the fluid nature of my sexuality was leaning toward men, hard. Which in my messed up mind was perverse. The veterans crisis hotline saved my life and I decided to make some changes including putting to rest this homophobia in my mind. I accepted myself as bi and the foodgates of relief that went through me were amazing.

Long story longer, I accepted myself as bi at 51years old, married, and with a son. Though my son was 21 at the time. Because of the fragility of my wife, I chose not to tell her. Looking back that was somewhat of a mistake, in that some of the turmoil I have had was caused by this. However as many of us know, we all have to come out at our own rate and in our own ways. I know there is no right or wrong way of doing it. This being said, not so much my wife's opinion.

As you may have guessed, about a year later, my wife asked me point blank what was going on, becuase I was pulling away from the caretaker relationship I had going on with her. I was honest and told her I was bi. She didn't take it well, which is what I expected, mainly because of he frigile emotional state. We agreed to counseling and have worked through a whole lot and are doing well now. The important thing is we did not lose the love we have for one another, we just lost the status quo of our marriage, which frankly had to happen regardless of me comming out.

Our marriage is much healthier now in that we are more open, and like you mentioned, more intimate than we have been in YEARS. We are learning to have a new and improved life together. We have our ups and downs, but there are now more ups than before. She knows I have a desire for men, but not a desire for romantic relationship with men. She doesn't have a problem with me having a FWB, which I have.

This is a friend, not a lover. His and my relationship has more to do with friendship than sex, but there is sex and it is GOOD. :grin: We talk, hike trails, do outdoor things my wife and I don't do, comiserate, drink beer, bbq, etc.. Aaaand we have sex ocasionally.

My wife and I talk more. We do more together and are more intimate than we have been in a long time. We actually LIVE together again, rather than exist together.

Man this was long. My appologies to all that read this. Peace!

Bastion likes this.
  11. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My original thread was this one:

https://forum.emptyclosets.com/inde...im-gay-but-im-pretty-sure-im-straight.490606/

It really was life changing for me to post that and get the feedback and help that I did.

I've realised that what I've been all along is not straight. It's now a matter of interpreting that. I'm still a bit confused. There are probably other sexuality labels that apply but I think they're all just summed up and most easily understood and accepted by myself and others as bi.

I feel like my desire to explore my sexuality and my love and desire for commitment to my partner grow in unison. I feel a bit like a greedy child though. There are plenty of wild things I'd like to do in life but wouldn't. I feel in some ways that I want to live many different lives. Perhaps I should just make the best of a straight life and write books about the other lives I'd live. I certainly like throwing words at pages!

You can't have everything though and there are always compromises in life and in relationships. I guess it's about picking the bundle of things that work together and you can be at peace with.

I think that this can likely be resolved for me at this point by just talking about it. From talking to some bi guys on the app, sex with men and women isn't so different. Sex with a transwoman was in so many ways, exactly the same as being with a woman, even when we were doing things that some would say were totally gay (and others would say were totally hetero).

I think in the end, if you're bi, the sex acts might be a bit different and the dynamic of course with each individual but in the end, you're people connecting emotionally, sharing pleasure, intimacy and hopefully love.

I liked the idea that I could have my cake and eat it too but if you want monogomy, and I do, you can't have the freedom that swingers do.

Maybe that kind of life would work for me down the track. I can't say I don't like the idea of having multiple partners but just talking to other people and realising I like them feels like it's complicating and mildly threatening my relationship if I don't restrain myself as I am.

I want to be at peace with what I have and the with the acceptance that I keep what I have with my partner because it's beautiful and to be protected and I sacrifice the ability to enjoy the gay side of myself. Much like if I choose a career as a lawyer, I probably can't also be a doctor, at least not at the same time.

Or, I want a plan that allows me to have both. I'm feeling less and less like I need to explore being gay now. I actually just want some friends from this community because I seem to have more in common with people here than heterosexual people actually, despite feeling before like I wasn't welcome because of the anti-straight male stuff that I've often heard.

How have your conversations with your wife gone with this? Maybe trying sex with a man once or a few times would allow you to be at peace with it and settle back in to being committed to your wife (though it sounds like a total no-go for now). I can understand why she wouldn't want that but if the alternative is divorce, maybe being a bit flexible could allow the tree to bend without breaking and return to being more upright overall than it is now.

12. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Mate, don't apologise. Thanks so much for sharing!

That sounds like a wonderful and healthy situation. It's so cool that you were able to organise things in such a way. Sounds like a nice life!

Everyone is different, so it's fortunate that the pieces of your puzzle fit together so well in the end. I'm sure it wasn't easy to get there though.

I don't think I could separate sex and romance. I've always wanted the whole enchilada. If I like someone enough to sleep with them, I want to feel everything. I'm not good at compartmentalising. Maybe I could have what you have with a male friend though.

It's really interesting to hear what works for different people. I wish people in general were more open and accepting. It makes it hard for humanity to really know itself.

I think the enduring love you speak of is key. That seems to be guiding me through my decision making and it's the glue that has kept us together so far. We're still together for good reason, so I feel it's increasingly likely we're going to stay together, despite wondering if that was just more denial at first.

#32 Andoni, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Isbjorn likes this.
  13. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear you loud and clear. I actually stopped bringing up that discussion with my wife. Because I realized we are getting no where. It always comes down to arguing, fighting or emotional. I tried to make her understand me and where am coming from. That’s it’s not about her or that I want to hurt her, cheat, or lie. But inevitably that’s what she believes.
    Even when i met a couple of gay people I was honest about it. But she didn’t trust me or them. Two of them were maybe bi or I assumed they were because they had ex girlfriends.

What I know now is that am kind of like you in a sense that i can grow fond of people that I like after awhile. If it’s just like a one time thing with a random guy, I don’t probably think it would matter. But I don’t really want that .
    It’s like I want my relationship and I would like to explore the other side of me as well. But in reality it wouldn’t work and I would probably lose my relationship if I go with that.

There of course other ways that people may agree on like you mentioned and others mentioned as well. Maybe something like a FWB kind of situation could work or would it? I know it has worked for some people but it may not work for others.

Both partners have to agree to that also what if one of the parties involved started to develop more of an attachment to the other. Then what would happen?

14. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    FWB gets to pack his lunch box and hit the bricks, because in the end it is your soulmate that trumps the FWB every time. That would be hard, but like I said between soulmate and FWB, soulmate wins. This is where it happens with us. She knows she is my soulmate and I am hers, so I ain't going anywhere. Where it would not work is if she could not accept ALL of me. I told her straight up I was NOT going back into the closet. If I lose her, it would KILL me. If I go back to her perceived idea of a perfect marriage, it would KILL me. After that I said, what I mean is I envision a new and BETTER marriage than we had before.

Through counseling, we are both learning what new dynamics we have. She is learning what being bisexual means to me and how I would like it to work. I am learning that it is not my responsibility to fix everything that goes wrong and that my feelings count too. They always have, but I have bit the bullet so much so often that I try, or was trying to please EVERYONE, but myself. She is also learning that I have felt that way for a long time and that basically I have been holding shit together in our lives by myself. Which is a revelation for her and has helped her realize I have not been trying to replace her or leave our marriage. The nice part is, she is stepping up to the plate to help more. Something I thought she was too fragile for. There is a learning curve for both of us. Sometimes we crash and burn, but we work it out.

Bastion likes this.
  15. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of this resonates with me actually. We are indeed very similar. Sounds like Isbjorn has the way! Are you in couples counselling? I think there's a bit of a disconnect, other than just this if you can't work through it any further and so you're now just wondering what to do by yourself. She's probably got her own private life where she's worrying about this by herself unless she's just buried the concept and tried to ignore it.

I guess I'm aiming for peace with what is, a plan or action. Talking about what can be done is of course forward momentum in terms of getting to a better place regardless.

Yes, I really don't know how the FWB would work but as Isbjorn says, there is a hierarchy to things.

Bastion and Isbjorn like this.
  16. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another great post Isbjorn, thanks. It's great to gain some insight into how these things work and how you can get there.

Isbjorn likes this.
  17. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah Friendships can be more tricky now for me too. Because I live in a small conservative town and I think some people know or have an idea of who I was hanging with at one time or the other and also the apps and all. I do get more of a strange vibe or a certain kind of look. It bothered me at first but now I mostly ignore it.

I am not Homophobic at all. But unfortunately lot of people around me are.

I want to mention things regarding the apps. And some people in general.
    Be more wary about people in those apps because not all of them can be honest. Not all of them are what they seem. And not all of them are actually gay or bi either. That’s why I stopped using these apps.

No judgments but it is what it is.

“Yeah, that's the frustrating thing. If society was more accepting, a lot of the less healthy aspects of gay life that people have to judge wouldn't be necessary. Things are improving though. I hope I get to see a time whenhumanity can love all of what it is. I think we're starting to see some promising shifts.Not everywhere, of course.”

I wish things are the way you wrote in the above paragraph. I mentioned similar things in older post a while back I don’t know where

There is progress of course and acceptance but not everywhere. Mostly in bigger cities that are more liberal.

Isbjorn likes this.
  18. Bastion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @Isbjorn is killing it tonight! Thanks for sharing and your honesty.

Isbjorn likes this.
  19. Andoni

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, that's some solid advice, regarding the apps!

20. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope you find something

Andoni likes this.