1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packing help?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, May 2, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wait till all your friends and siblings start to marry, then the older generations die and you will have more than jeans and t-shirts.

Although...

Being 18 and gay there is no girlfriend telling you how to dress. LOL

Who needs clothes at 18 anyway!

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another item to consider would be some sort of drying rack. I actually dried year round on one at my last Undisclosed Location.

3. Stoical

Good suggestion! I miss my drying rack. I have several knit sweaters that are not dryer safe, so I've been using my shower curtain rod and other creative places. Ofc, it would probably be simpler to just go out and buy myself a new rack.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That does seem to be reality. I have a loose--very loose--tie with a church in my area, where I go for Easter, Christmas Eve, and when the spirit moves me the rest of the year. And one that that got me one day was noticing a young man in the church choir (who's also the son of the minister) wearing jeans. I had a vision of them being a daily wear item, and he'd dress up by adding a decent shirt.

Although, I will admit that church is a low-key environment. And also my area as a whole can be quite casual.

---------- Post added 2nd May 2013 at 05:35 PM ----------

As I said, I dried year round at one point. Never sheets, but if I'd had more rack capacity, I'd probably have done them, too. Keep in mind that dryers are relatively new item. Before that, people air dried one way or another. For that matter, they still do in many parts of the world.

---------- Post added 2nd May 2013 at 05:51 PM ----------

And this may already be well known, but it's worth repeating in case someone comes around here who has never had to deal with laundry before. It's a good idea to learn good basic laundry practices. I have known many people whose vision is just stuff the washer with whatever is handy on the dirty clothes pile, flip on cold wash (to save money), and hope for the best.

One should always sort colors. If one is particularly anal like me, one might also consider sorting into rough categories (so towels get washed away from shirts, for example).

I'm ashamed to admit this..it'd be easier talking about masturbation preferences, actually...but I was once a cold water wash abuser. Stuff never really got as clean as it should, and towels in particular never seemed fresh. And the washer always had an off smell. It's amazing that some killer bug didn't breed, and kill me off.

Fortunately, I reformed. These days, I generally don't go under 80 degrees F. unless there is a good reason.

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Speaking of laundry- lots to do tomorrow....sigh.

---------- Post added 2nd May 2013 at 05:58 PM ----------

BMC77 Add some vinegar every wash in fabric softener dispenser- Kills germs & gets rid of smells in clothes & washer. & acts as fabric softener.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Isn't that adding acid to the load? What about my colored brights?

Kidding. Sort laundry by colour loads? Blacks with whites cause I am not running no bigoted machine.

Next thing you know the tube socks won't be washed with the heel'd socks.

PS: I hate tube socks.

#26 skiff, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know a lot of people swear by vinegar in the rinse. The one problem I've heard is the possibility of harm to porcelain tubs. I'm not sure how much of a problem that actually is. Stainless and plastic tubs should be OK, of course.

Pushing the temperature up alone helps keep things fresh, I've found. Plus, as I think I've said, its supposed to help keep the machine cleaner in hidden parts. They played musical washer here last fall, and I ended up with a washer that had not been used with anything but cold water in years. It was positively revolting. Even two nights of aggressive treatment couldn't fix it.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am amazed at this thread...

9. Stoical

Bet you never realized how thrilling laundry was, huh? :grin:

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Skiff -Vinegar also good to keep new colored clothes from bleeding as it sets colors. Keeps clothes whiter & brighter. Its bleach that can weaken fabric. Vinegar fabulous if you have hard water- breaks up minerals so better for washer life. -Just a little gay country girl advice! :slight_smile:

#30 Rose27, May 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013
  11. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My exhusband, when he was single, he used to put his dirty clothes on inside out & get in the shower. Wash them, wring them out & either hang them on the shower pole to dry or if he wanted to wear them the next day would just go to the laundrymat for drying. He hardly ever spent money on washing. He also had a rubermaid bin he used for washing if he needed to scrub them.

My older brother stole/borrowed the big huge bingo ball machine at church to wash some clothes a few times.

Boys are weird. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Although I can't talk much -- I will throw something in the dryer to avoid ironing.

12. correct amount of clothes is however many you can carry of course :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

you can always wear about 5 layers going, so youll have extra clothes space. you know wear a vest, tshirt, shirt, 2 hoodies and a jacket... but then again idk what the weather is like there lol.

my wardrobe consists of 3 blazers, 10 tshirts, 5 vests, 2 dress-y shirts, 2 shirts, 4 hoodies, 3 jumpers, 2 jackets, 2 jeans, 2 leggings, 3 skirts, 2 dresses, tights and underwear..... i could fit all of it into a case no probs :| need to cut down on my tshirts though..... i like to have as little as possible as i dont have the biggest of space.

depends on how much youre going to wear every day clothes though. depends on how often you work e.t.c. you can wear pjs often if youre not doing anything, that will save on laundry also get some everyday clothes like joggers and old tshirts that you can chuck on if you have nothing else (i always keep at least 2 sets for if i cba to iron lol).

winter clothes are quite bulky, so you can easily get rid of some and just layer up in summer clothes in winter, thats what youre meant to do anyways apparently as you retain heat better :s

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In my part of the world, it's not unusual to see men wearing shorts year round. It's mainly younger guys (high school/college), but I see guys older than me who wear shorts in the dead of winter. I can't stand the thought myself...my knobby little knees would get cold. But I can see one advantage of shorts: they take up little space, particularly in pay washing machines.....

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I wear shorts all summer. Less when sunbathing.

15. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Interesting thread as after being in the same place for 5 years I am moving, so the comment on the clothes and other stuff is interesting.

What do you take, I have already thrown away a lot of stuff and wondering whether I should throw away more.

USA is a big place, you could reveal your location, I am guessing its not NYC.

Always good to have your own washing machine, actually washing my clothes now standard Saturday morning ritual, I own a washing machine but not a drier, use an outdoor line mostly but when its wet then I do have an indoor clothes rack, although living in warmer areas, example Florida, Texas, you probably don't need a drier, I guess its one of those things nice to have but not essential.

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Since I will definitely be needing a new place veryvery soon. Thinking about things like getting a new toilet seat cover & how to put up blinds by myself. Maybe should let child pick out new furniture for me. Then nothing has to match but I will still be proud of it.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brilliant! Minimum fuss and maximum nachus!

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rosé

As a guy I gotta tell you this... Toilet seat covers suck!

Nine out of ten of them will not allow the toilet seat to stay up. A guy needs three hands to manage a flopping seat while standing there.

You got a son? He will be peeing on that seat cover as the lid falls mid stream.

Yeah, yeah, we guys say nothing but silently hate the damn fluffy things. We know better than to sit on it. :wink:. It's been peed on.

Forewarned...

If we wash our clothes standing in the shower what is a little pee on a toilet seat cover.

19. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Skiff- HAHA-needed the laugh!!!!! Never use covers- Had Brain fart!!
    I meant new toilet seat- The one with slow lid close -good for boys. Have on son's toilet-

---------- Post added 4th May 2013 at 08:07 AM ----------

Bye the way-Since this is a high traffic thread....Going thru Hug withdrawl-virtual ones will do. Thanks Rose.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course, there is Option B: the guy can pee sitting down.

Why, Rose, this could be your thrilling chance to re-toilet train your son! Wasn't the first time so much fun?

---------- Post added 4th May 2013 at 12:19 PM ----------

This brings up another important point. Many guys like to pee in the shower. If they do, they should not--and I repeat--not be wearing clothes that they are washing at the same time as they pee.