1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Last Question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wickedwitch, Aug 7, 2018.

1. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know what to do about this:

My life sucks. I'm in my 50's, am disabled, dirt-poor, have never had a long-term relationship ever and in the last bunch of years have lost the little that I did have: job, mobility, health, friends. I spend almost 100% of my time alone now, not by choice. No one seems to want to hire me, date me or be my friend.

I am at a complete loss as to why this has happened. Why did my life turn out this way? Why is it that I do/did the things that everyone else does/did but nothing ever comes to fruition? I don't understand why everything I attempt to do now meets with frustration, nor do I know what it is I should change, whether it's myself, what I'm doing or how I'm thinking.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

2. JosieC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi i see you live in Canada so i would first suggest going to see a mental health professional here is a link
    https://settlement.org/ontario/heal...s/where-can-i-get-help-with-my-mental-health/
    second if you are disabled there are likely resources for you look them up!
    third if you have family talk to them about your problems see if you can get rides to places you can meet people
    fourth changing your out-look is great idea weather your 5 or 50 life can get better
    it will be ok

3. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't need mental health help. My mental health is fine. It's my external circumstances that are the problem and I can't afford to see a mental health professional anyway. I don't need resources for my disability. I don't need rides anywhere, I can get myself where I need to go. Thanks anyway.

4. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you mentioned that one of the things you lost was friends. How did you lose them? Did they move away? Did you fall out with each other?

5. Really

Hey @wickedwitch,

I’m sorry this is all happening to you. One of them would be bad enough but all together must be really rough. I’m going to suggest you focus on one of these issues first and once that’s more or less in hand, think about the next one. And I think maybe getting a job would be a good place to start. Do you want to do something similar or not? What were you doing before? (If you want to say.) We might have some ideas but in the meantime, here’s a post I wrote about finding job postings.

I can’t tell from your comments here how mobile you are but do you have a laptop and could you perhaps go to a coffee shop and work from there while you are job searching and then if you found yourself a job that you could do remotely? The one that popped into my head was transcription. I’m pretty sure you don’t need special training other than the specific software but I know someone who was looking into it and they definitely didn’t have any specific experience. There are any number of industries that require this kind of service. Legal, medical, the police, to name a few. Anyway, just a thought if you don’t mind typing. ;]

If you could get work that allowed you to work from wherever and were able to plunk yourself down in a public space regularly, I’ll bet you’d meet others after a bit of time, even if it’s just the staff. Interacting with others like this can only lift your spirits even if they’re only friendly acquaintances. It’s a huge start.

I don’t think it helps to look back and try to figure out what went wrong. You can’t know and, for sure, can’t do anything about it now anyway. Try to wake up everyday and pick one thing you’ll do to move your current endeavour forward. If you need help, let us know.