1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend reported a racist coworker and HR sent her home. Why?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shane is tired, Nov 8, 2023.

1. Shane is tired

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Racist coworker been causing so much drama. He said he racially profile people in the street and want to call the police on any who isn’t white. He said that at work place. Then he pushed an old east asian patient on a metal table because she cannot understand English. He has been harassing my friend for weeks not even respond back when my friend talk about patients care related work topics. Few days ago he pointed his finger in my friends face screaming at her with anger and disgust. My friend is dark skin gay woman. My friend reported to HR and they sent my friend home. Why?

2. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dang this guy is so brazen that he must be confident he can get away with it. Sorry that happened to your friend. I can't say I'm surprised though. Every time I have gone to HR or reported sexual assault/harassment, I was the one who got thrown under the bus. Even by the person I was trying to help. It's just one of those unfair double standards in life. Whistle blowers are always viewed in a bad light and seen as rocking the boat. Also, sometimes it is tricky for the employer to take any action unless there is damning evidence, because they don't want to be the one on the chopping block. Or any action they do take, brings down a microscope on the business and upper management, corporate, or legal consultation has to get involved. The business will face consequences regardless. It just creates a big stink and no one wants to stick around to smell the dumpster fire. So the easiest solution is to quell the person speaking up. Any kind of merit system is long gone. It's super unfair but that is the world we live in.

Additionally, I have observed if the coworker makes more sales or is more popular, the employer will be more prone to looking the other way. Some victims will loathe all the unflattering attention they get from calling out the perpetrator and will resent you for doing the right thing and speaking up.

My tip to anyone going to HR is to present yourself as professionally enraged or infuriated, and in control. If you present yourself as timid or sheepish, it will get you nowhere. Sometimes you may have to wait for the situation to get bad enough to warrant action. It would be nice to nip the problem in the bud as soon as it starts, but it won't solve anything. Also talk to the victim first and make sure they're OK, and ask how they would like to handle the situation. If you speak up and the victim doesn't wholeheartedly have your back or resents you for taking action, then it doesn't look good.

I wish I had better insight for you, but this is what I observed first hand and through hard knocks in life.