1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music that makes you nostalgic

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by OGS, Jul 26, 2023.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I recently really heard "Strawberries & Cigarettes" by Troy Sivane for the first time. I say really heard because I saw "Love, Simon" so I must have heard it at the time, but it didn't make an impression. This time it really did. I'm obsessed. It so perfectly evokes the feelings of my early twenties, all the running around, falling in and out of love, how it was all so new, so unspeakably beautiful.

I associate a lot of music with that period. I remember my husband was trying to pinpoint when something had happened and finally just went with--"oh you know, it was that year when it seemed like no one, male or female, could strip to anything but Amber's song "Sexual". Oddly enough, that worked. I couldn't attach an actual numerical year to it without doing some googling but it pinpointed it perfectly in the sweep of our 25 years together. All the Barbie hysteria of the last few weeks reminds me of the year Aqua's "Barbie Girl" hit and how a friend and I had a whole routine we would do to it--people would actually clear the dance floor to just watch.

Good times marked by a lot of music, not all of it great in retrospect--but all great at the time. "Strawberries & Cigarettes" is a little different for me, though. It's the first time I've ever had a piece of music make me that intensely nostalgic for a time it wasn't from. My early twenties were a long time ago--I mean I think I was already in my mid to late twenties when Troy Sivane was born. LOL

Anyway, is anyone else out there old enough to have this same sort of reaction to music? What kinds of music make you nostalgic?