1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPAA vs Smoking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jerr, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jroakwood

you did say they pollute the atmosphere. so i guess i assumed. i apologize.
    just wondering what atmosphere you were talking about?

i said, the owner of the bar should be able to choose if they want allowed in their bar or not, which they dont get a choice. and i wouldnt worry about the people who choose to get employment as a bartender. because that would be a choice to work somewhere where there was smoking.

well, here in MN its been just recently. and we've got about 3 bars in my town, and it has affected business, one of the bar owners has a sick wife to support, medical bills and such, and its been tough for him. but who would care about the bar owner right?
    and once again, the smoker, because theyre not as good as the non smoker or what(?), is the one who should stay home?

why does the smoker's right always the one that's constrained? because non-smokers are "better people" and "more healthy"?

so when a person is a smoker they no longer get the rights of being people? forgive me, i am confused...

a little bit of airborne mindless smoke in your lungs isnt by any means going to kill you. its not like youre sitting right next to them. and its usually at least partially separated by walls.

all im saying is its really lame the bar/restaurant cant choose whether theyre non-smoking or smoking. or even have an outdoor smoking patio anymore.
    and ive been around smokers ALOT in my lifetime, and when i die from cancer caused by it you can say i told you so. cause im not buying it.

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, because smokers are doing something that negatively affects the health of those around them.

So by that logic we should just ignore all manner of scientific evidence that "purports" to represent other substances and activities as dangerous? Because we can just "not buy it" and it will therefore cease to be true? And those substances and activities will cease to be harmful?

Wow... must be fun but ultimately deadly to live in your world. Maybe you should paint your house with lead paint and insulate it with asbestos. I'm pretty sure no matter how much you don't buy the dangers of doing that, it won't stop you from getting poisoned. :eusa_doh:

3. Jim1454

Yes - the one being built on 3 Mile Island. :roflmao:

4. Jerr

Wait... don't speak about smokers costing you money... if it wasn't for our lovely smokers and consumers of alcohol the rest of us would have a killer tax hike to make up for the massive amounts of taxes taken from tobacco and alcohol. (Where do you think most of the money for schools comes from?)

5. Jerr

I should paint my house with lead paint and insulate it with asbestos... asbestos OWNS as an insulator... and if you DON'T mess with it, it is fantastic... me personally... I don't mess with insulation... it just seems weird so I don't bother it and don't get near it. (Except for you know... the other side of a wall... lol) Oh, and sense I DON'T make it a habit of rubbing/licking/biting/gnawing/sucking/fornicating with my walls/window seals (or any painted surface, really) I don't think the paint would have THAT much of an effect on me. Not counting the useful ability of keeping Super Man's Super Peepers from Peeping on me!

6. jroakwood

insulation? i thought that was cotton candy... :eusa_doh:
    aw lame, i liked the colors in the lead paints section better...

honestly. its funny how you say i take things out of context, and then do it right back.
    i never said just because i dont believe things means they dont happen.
    i just said i dont believe im going to die from being around smokers, it sure could happen, but i really doubt it. my grandma's smoked, and theyre real old... why dont they have cancer?

what next, lets give prohibition a go again because people drive drunk and put others in danger? wouldnt that be great? pfft.
    this argument is going around in circles. so im pretty sure im done with it.

but joey, ill give this to you, youre a funny guy. :thumbsup:

7. Jerr

I swear I didn't mean for this to end up a "Smoking GRRR" (as another choice thread ended up as *shifty eyes*) thing I meant for it to be more of a debate on an instant R rating in movies. No one will argue smoking isn't good and this subject isn't about it in public or anything. It is about the MPAA trying to give an instant R rating to those movies in which people smoke.

8. jroakwood

yeah. rating R just for smoking. LAME.
    :dry:

9. Pyro

These people should see the movie "Thank you for smoking"...

Nowadays all of the information is available to anyone people have the right to choose what to do... what this organization is trying to do is to decide by the others minds... that is moral presumption

10. surfrboykai

there are actually some parks that have banned smoking. i'm sorry, but a fuckin park is huge. there's not reason why it should be banned. even in outdoor cafe's. unless the smoke is being blown right into yer face, it's not harming anyone.

there are also a lot more things in the atmosphere that is way more harmful than cigarette smoke.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In the UK smoking is banned in enclosed public spaces, which means shops, pubs, restaurants, factories etc. People can smoke outside, and some pubs have set up areas outside with canopies and patio heaters etc for smokers.

I think the current situation is fair. Us non-smokers do not have to breath in second hand smoke (which some of us find unpleasant and is generally accepted to be a risk to health), yet smokers can still smoke in areas that are generally comfortable and feel like part of the premises. Banning smoking in outdoor spaces like parks and streets would be silly, as that is not doing any harm to anyone (other than the smoker him/herself but that's their problem).

Governments will not ban smoking because they want the revenue from the tax on it. They increase the tax a bit each year for "health reasons" but at a rate where most smokers will put up with it rather than quitting.

Smoking cannot generally be shown on TV in the UK, unless there is good editorial reason for including it. So "the smoking man" on the X-Files is OK as it is part of the character, but having extras in a bar scene smoking for no reason would not be. Older repeated films and programmes aren't affected. The aim is that smoking (and drinking) should not be glamorised or shown as generally acceptable.

12. Jerr

I haven't seen a place like that here... you are suppose to stay at least so many feet/yards or what not away from the beginning.

In some places in town you aren't even allowed to smoke in your car while in their parking lot. That might be a bit extreme.

I'm going to start another thread that has to do with smoking... in part... but I know it doesn't belong in this section so yeah. I'll put it in its appropriate spot later tonight.