1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving in discussions

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Revan, May 29, 2023.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Helloooo folks.

So I'm back with another inquiry for you all, part of this being this is longest relationship I've had and so I really don't understand some of the goings on cause never reached the point in a relationship where this came up before. So naturally here I am asking random strangers their thoughts haha.

My partner and I discussed moving in together shortly after we reached one year, but agreed it wasn't that time YET, but we felt still was good to discuss for the future. I've been thinking about it more lately and I really would like to consider moving in together in the near future as we're not approaching two years together. We've talked about getting married often, but I recognize living together might be a good step first to ensure we don't drive each other nuts lol.

I'd like to bring it up to him in a more serious context, but would like opinion from others who have done this lol. The big thing I'm sort of running into as it were is whose place and location. I bought my home a while back and I'm still locked into it for a while longer, and unfortunately it's not on like major transit lines so getting downtown (something I'd say...is kind of important for him given various things he has downtown).

Naturally, I respect his need to be near transit and I don't want to force him away from that but just wondering how to go about this discussion as I don't want it to be a crux in the relationship, but two years in (plus a year of friendship too), it seems like the right time to discuss more?

#1 Revan, May 29, 2023
    Last edited: May 29, 2023
  2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're talking often about getting married, I think it's definitely time to float the conversation again. That doesn't mean you have to move in together soon, especially if you're both locked into leases/mortgages, but it's worth talking about. It's important that you're not making the decision for him. Go into the conversation knowing what's important to you. Do you want him to move into your place? Would you be willing to move into his? Would you want to find a new place that you could live together? Then, ask him whether he thinks it's time to talk about moving in together again.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You said it before me haha. Talking about it is good to figure out what might work and to plan ahead to avoid wasting money if possible. Splitting the housing costs might allow you to spend more, to get a place where you both want to be. You two sound cute together and I hope it keeps going well and you're both happy :slight_smile:

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks both of you.