1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martian Child: movie VS book.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LullabyNY, Sep 9, 2023.

1. LullabyNY

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if you know this masterpiece.

The book is the autobiography of David Gerrold (Startrek's screenwriter and sci-fi novelist).
    He is a single gay man in his mid age who just want to adopt a kid, he saw a photo and said "he is my kid" nothing more... when he carried the picture they where doubtfull, that kid was a difficult one since his mother was an alcholist and he had several issues but he didn't give up. None of them told him "you cannot as gay man single" even if from the stard he said what he was (a good thing). The bigger difference is: he describe the kid's problems clearly while the movie don't, here you show how kids treated him bad and none of the homes and step parents wanted him.

The movie is about a widower who his wife died. He adopted the kid and go on. But you see only the 'light' part plus Gerrold disliked being described ad straight.

2. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw the move some years ago, but I didn’t about know the book, you certainly got me interested in reading it.

I can’t say that I approve of filmmaker’s decision to deviate from the original regarding David’s backstory, but unfortunately it made sense business-wise - essentially they made a family tear-jerker movie with a happy end, while simultaneously avoided pissing off the conservative crowd.
    A widower adopting a child, being a single father is laudable. While a gay man doing the same would probably lead to outrage about it being “perverse”.

#2 Keller, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  3. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry, accidentally posted before I finished writing :grimacing:
    Also, most likely the filmmaker didn’t want to touch the topic of kids being mean to others and the problems of adoptions - that also could spark unneeded controversy.

But if anything, all those “controversial” topics should be brought to light and should be spoken of - if we are to create a better future.

4. LullabyNY

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    don't worry you're talking with a clumsy person too ahahah
    yeah worth it

the motivation was "i want make kid's story over lgbtq+"
    btw: Gerrold is proud to his son, you can see whole about them! :slight_smile:

----
    keep in mind the book reminds me a lot, even if I was grew up with a single mom... as from an horrible situation (my father went kick out luckly) and as asperger I understand that kid.

#4 LullabyNY, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2023