1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking sickly?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bearhug1994, Dec 30, 2019.

1. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well as some of you may remember (or not, it was 2 years ago) I had a bout in the hospital with my kidneys and other organs shutting down and after I got better and was only doing checkups at the clinic, my nephrologist told me I needed to lose some weight. She suggested for me to be around 180 or less. I was 240. I am now floating between 170and 165. I still have some fat but not a whole lot, I feel great and have a lot of energy. Only problem is now people are telling me I look sick? Idk if I should heed what they are saying and go to the Dr. Again or if they're just not used to seeing skinny me. I'm not really to concerned as I have an appointment with said nephrologist in the new year. But it is really starting to get to me being told I look sickly. I feel healthier than I ever have and I lost the weight intentionally, and I was happy with it untill I started getting comments like this from people, Esp. Family. Anyone ever delt with somthing like this?

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have the people who describe you as 'sickly' been more specific about what they mean? Are they referring to your weight loss only, or could it be that they are talking about your complexion/pallor?

When people lose a lot of weight it is noticeable and it takes a short time for people to adjust to our changed appearance. The most important thing is how you feel and it sounds like you are in a really good place now, so maybe they all need to go through that adjustment phase.

If you have concerns do talk to your doctor about it. He/she will be the better judge.

3. bearhug1994

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I assume it's just the weight, for ex. My grandmother told me I felt frail when I hugged her last week. I mean I know I've lost a good bit but I don't think I'm frail I'm still as strong as before so I don't think I've lost much muscle at all. No one has said anything about complexion. But I def. Don't feel weak or anything like that.