1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living with persistent suicidal ideation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by staticinmyattic, Sep 9, 2023.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want nothing more than to share with someone the specifics of my suicidal ideation, but I can't do that. Even thought I will never ever ever kill myself, I do not have the option of discussing the specifics of what suicidal ideation looks and sounds like in my own head. I feel like if I could talk specifics with someone, I might have a chance of getting some perspective on these recurrent thought patterns that just can't be found with silent self reflection. But the narratives and images that visit my thoughts unbidden are violent and self destructive. I run too great a risk of whoever I speak to deciding that my ideation is too vivid and specific and that the police need to get involved. The only time I ever tried I ended up with a compulsory ride in a police car (that somehow wasn't an arrest?) and an emergency room visit I couldn't afford. So instead, I have to keep this garbage to myself. It's toxic, evil shit, and my brain is so clogged with it that I can't think, work, or live like a person. But everyone seems satisfied as long as the problem stays in my head and I don't give anyone a mess to clean up. That's well and good for them. I had a friend in college who had to clean up after his uncle's suicide, and that conversation haunts me. I will not give that experience to anyone. But I still have to live with demons that no one else can see, constantly hissing in my ear, goading me to just do it. I know no one wants to hear it, and I respect that, but after 40 years alone with the devil, he's getting to be a bit much.

2. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

3. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m sorry you’re going trough this. Having been no stranger to suicidal ideation myself, I can relate to what you wrote… Even though everyone’s demons are unique and I can only imagine how hard it must be on you to deal with them for such a long time.

You don’t have to face your demons all alone. There are people here who will listen to what you want to share. By all means, I want to and will listen to your story. I might not be able to offer much more except an attentive ear and a word of support and encouragement, but so much I can promise.

Best of luck to you!

4. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I appreciate you and I appreciate the offer, but I've told my story over and over and it has done only harm, never good. It's just a series of occurences strung together, sad stories anthologized. People want to help, but listening to a sad sack sadding sadly helps no one, particularly the sad sack. My wife and I have figured out that I'm basically on a synchronized menstrual cycle with her, which I think is funny and pathetic, because despite my idiot brain being convinced that it belongs to a woman, I am objectively and visibly a man who obviously does not and can not have a menstrual cycle. So, this will happen again in about a month, I'll probably wail into the void again, and then I'll retake what control of my emotions I am able to seize until I lose control again, and I'll remember that this is something I am supposed to be able to control but can't, which is a personal failing.

#4 staticinmyattic, Sep 10, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  5. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m sorry, but, well, you literally just wrote that you’re experiencing menstrual symptoms - and if you don’t trust yourself, there’s enough evidence that trans women can (and many) do have menstrual cycles and can experience PMS and PMDD. Due to certain anatomical differences, the most well-known symptom - bleeding- is not present, which doesn’t change anything, really.

Some research suggest that brain of a transgender woman is actually closer in structure to that of a cis woman, than of a cis man. (E.g. “Brain Sex Differences Related to Gender Identity Development: Genes or Hornones?”, Jiska Ristori et al, 2020)
    Besides, what is a body is essentially a mechanism piloted by the brain - the one part that matters the most.

#5 Keller, Sep 10, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
  6. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I of course agree regarding the brain/vehicle comparison. My monthly cycle of irritability is just one star in an of a galaxy of evidence that my brain is not at all suited to pilot a man body through a man life. I am also aware that a lot of my thought patterns are internalized transphobia, particularly that I can’t move past my body as the definition of my gender as opposed to how I feel. I wrote this in my head this morning while I was trying to go back to sleep:

The devil brings hell where the devil resides
    Devouring real estate deep in my mind
    Developing factories, there’s work he must do
    Infusing my blood with his poisonous brew
    Daily my body and mind are made sicker
    By his steady drip of diabolical liquor
    It seeps through my skin, and passes to others
    And makes people cruel to their children and mothers

7. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m sorry for the tone of my previous reply, I got too emotional and not in a good way.

Thanks for sharing your poem. “Devouring real estate in my mind” - that line, IMHO, describes perfectly how it feels when imposter syndrome strikes and you realise it, but can’t really shake it off.

8. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for the apology, but I was not at all bothered by your tone or message. I think firm language, especially regarding something as amorphous and subjective as gender identity, can be helpful

9. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s natural to wonder how you measure up in a competitive environment. Right now this competition is your wife in a way, but your wife is also your ally and support. Acknowledging you don’t know everything can open you up to new learning opportunities, even prompting positive contributions. It's important to monitor that inner devil and not to focus on how you actually look like, but how you feel inside and analyze that why you feel that it's pathetic or funny that you experience menstrual cycles. Just so you know, there are men who menstruate, give birth and lactate. It's nothing strange or pathetic. It's how it is. The way to combat that internalized transphobia/homophobia is to face your own fears. Currently you are in your learning phase and while learning it's okay to make mistakes and experiment with what you can, that also includes your own feelings.

Recently there was an incident, where I absolutely hated being perceived as a weak female and wanted to prove that I'm not a female and not weak. That I'm a strong guy. That kinda made me feel happy that I even wanted to prove it somehow. It was like another confirmation. Small things can make you feel happy, though while feeling irritated and having internalized transphobia can cloud your actual feelings.

Times like battling your thoughts and homophobia/transphobia are very hard to deal with, but they are something that can be defeated. I'm a living proof, that it can.

Keller likes this.
  10. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems normal to me to want to die so I relate and it sucks we have to keep doing this. I'm waiting for death, there's nothing for me here, just days to pass by until whenever is the end. I won't do it myself but I'm not trying to live longer either, which often causes lots of health issues that slowly get you after years in the nursing home, so that sucks too. I hear about kids getting cancer and it's such bs, I should have it so they can have a life if they want it. Sadly some of them are in shitty homes so they may get some relief during the treatment and death could be an escape from abusive family for them. I'll take stage 5 cancer and let it go and be done, it's fine. A little warning like that so I can do a will or whatever and sell everything so family doesn't have to deal with my junk. It sucks you get stuck here with no choice in the matter. It is nice to let out the thoughts since like you said, people in real life don't want to hear it. can only tell therapist and people online these things and never talk to family about what I really feel like and how much I hate waking up each day. I wonder if they think I'm actually happy or know I'm not and don't care.

11. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Static - does your wife know about about your persistent suicidal ideation? Have you talked it over with anyone, say, a therapist?

Hugs, Beth x

Keller likes this.
  12. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can’t stop thinking about what you wrote.
    Sure, the people around might not be willing to talk about such things, because, let’s face it, absolute majority of people are terrified of the very idea of death, it’s literally the norm to cling to life at all cost, even when it does not make any sense and, possibly, is just wrong. I’m a firm believer in universal human right to live… But does it have any sense without the right to die with dignity?

That out of the way, did you try to speak of your feelings to your wife, or a therapist, like Beth has suggested?

13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing is that eventually we all die, it's part of life cycle. I in the other hand believe in reincarnation. I wonder sometimes if I'm ever reincarnated, then will I be happy in the body given. I'd happily be a cat in the other life, if it means My soul is happy. Death is scary, because of possible pain following, the regret, leaving behind loved ones or loosing them and of course the fear of the unknown.

I have never cried during funerals, even if the people close to me died. There is a whole funeral and death culture. It's all really fascinating and I feel we must talk about it, because talking helps to face the fears emotionally, which is why therapy or talking to a close person might bring more relief than you ever think it would. I think the feeling of being this vulnerable might be out of comfort zone for many, but I feel it's worth it. It's a way to see things differently from other viewpoint, so therefore it's not selfish talking about it all or being vulnerable. It's a possibility to learn more about yourself and about other people.

I've been there passively suicidal. I never actually attempted, but I had a fear that I would, so I went in search for a psychiatric help and at first I didn't even tell that this is why I was there. I mostly talked about being trans and anxiety and depression and getting on medication helped a lot.

Keller likes this.
  14. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have to admit, Mnguy, I passed over your post last night because, frankly, I was rendered speechless by it.

"There's nothing for me here". Really? REALLY?

What about friends? Love? Family? Hearing an incredibly moving piece of music? The smile on the face of someone you're fond of? A really good book? Great sex? Art? Poetry? A really funny film? The natural world? A beautiful sunset? Warm summer evenings? I could go on..

Oh and I'm with you, Rain. Who wouldn't love to be a cat? No work, free food and you get to sleep for most of the day - I'm in!

Beth x

#14 chicodeoro, Sep 13, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Rayland and Keller like this.
  15. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get it, there is a dark side where you have rage that seems as if it can't be tamed- and it just builds, forcing graphic, horrendous things to form in your mind. You can let it out to me if you'd like- I pass no judgement nor would I even have the right to. One thing is clear though, you need to tell someone. Holding it in is not doing you any favors. Neither is that internalized transphobia. Take it from me, bottling it up only makes it worse. Also, we care about you- we all want you to be happy, because you deserve to be happy.

I've had days where I followed this mentality- are you sure the people who care about you know you suffer? I don't have the option of telling some, but you do. Talk to them- ask for help, for ways to cope or even just seeing them more. Life has never been fair, especially for anyone who was decent and suffered from cancer- but you have options for help just like they do. Not all options will be effective but they can help. Look into it at least

chicodeoro, Rayland and Keller like this.
  16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't reply this, because I know how you are about it all and what's going on, but I worry about you more than you know. You really need to continue that therapy, even if you don't think it's worth it and bring this topic up. You have plenty to live for, like your garden. Think about all the new plant's you'd miss. You also have loving parents and you have possipilities to put yourself out there. You never know, where the opportunities to find love are. I know you don't wanna actually atempt and life has so many opportunities.

Once I die though the universe will get an earful. I have bunch of complaints.

There is a shorts skit online about afterlife and hell and about the topics I can very much relate to and I love it. It offers so much comfort to me.

17. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay. But first got to settle scores in this life and leave our marks. I wanna end up in history books.

chicodeoro likes this.
  18. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought the point of this post was for people to talk freely about SI, since people irl get too worried and don't know what to do so they call the cops. Besides the ER bill, cops often shoot people in the US when they come to "help", so no thanks. I don't feel that way all the time but was sharing various thoughts that come with SI for me. I've told this all to the shrink over the years and he knows I won't kill myself.

19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were just trying to say that the world has good things in it too. I'm sorry if you started to feel like you're not allowed to discuss it, because you are. It's also important to hear out what others have to say too. It's a learning opportunity.

Have someone called the cops on you, if you tried to discuss it? That's not the way to handle it and I didn't even know someone would actually call the cops over someone having suicidal ideation. It can only cause more fright and shut down, than actually person daring to talk about it. It's even helpful, if people would just listen, but sadly not many are equipped to handle the discussion or are good listeners at all. :frowning2:

At least you have talked about it and don't ever feel like you can't share your thoughts about it here.

I just tend to overly worry, especially if my dear friends are involved.

mnguy, Keller and chicodeoro like this.
  20. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m sorry, I think I might have misunderstood the point of your post. By all means, feel free to say what’s on your mind. We’re all just trying to be helpful here, even if that sometimes goes awry.

I agree with you that talking about such things IRL can and does lead to, let’s just say undesirable, results - that’s just the way people are taught to react combined with fear of death.

But in my personal opinion (and it’s just that, an opinion, based on whatever knowledge and experience I have at the moment - for what it’s worth), desire to die or lack of desire to live typically has some reason. And if that reason is dealt with, things might take another turn. I’m all for the right of choice in such matters… But it’s a permanent solution to what may be a temporary problem and there might be other viable alternatives that could be tried first.

Either way, I respect your thoughts and opinions, and appreciate that you decided to share them.

chicodeoro, mnguy and Rayland like this.