1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kingdom Hearts :)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alex19, Feb 16, 2010.

1. factwithinfiction

So I guess you could've predicted Xion's replicaness right from the first trailer? :lol:

All I'm trying to say is that Square is full of surprises and this next title could be about almost anything, so there's no need to falsify my theories. I admit I could be 100% wrong about this but saying you're always right about this is going to just make you wrong about something sooner rather than later.

2. crystaltriforce

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gm3CVVIr9M&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
    they finally released the English trailer

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truth be told, I just don't see myself playing Coded. I just frankly don't want to play KH again with just a couple added things. If I want KH I'll play KH.

4. Keagan18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    apparently the plot of coded is sometime after COM and you digitized into jimminy's journal in order to retrieve lost entries!!

5. maverick

I loved this game and its sequel, but now that I gave all my consoles away to my coworkers' kids, I can't play anymore. :dry: Oh well~!

6. Smile

Coded takes place right/not very long after KH2.
    It is during the period of time from which Sora/Riku return to Destiny Islands and when they receive the letter (the ending of Coded explains the details of the letter)

So, chronologically, Coded is the latest game to be released. However, KH: 3D comes after Coded I believe but that is yet to be released.

7. midwestblues

Okay. Don't even get me started. But in a nutshell: Kingdom Hearts is one of the greatest video games I have ever played period, and the greatest PS2 game I've ever played by far. Kingdom Hearts 2 is the foul excrement of a severely retarded Ditto who tried to morph into the afterbirth that came out of Goofy's mom. Kingdom Hearts 2 makes me want to kill babies. It's so bad. It's the worst sequel of anything that I've ever seen, and I've seen Troll 2. I would have shredded the CD except my sister likes the game. I wrote a scathing review about it on a gaming site but we're not allowed to give links. But yeah... KH2 killed what could have been a wonderful saga.

8. Kso1995

My favorite game :slight_smile:

9. Keagan18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    this one has confused me the most! all of my friends keep telling me different story lines lol that one seemed to work out best in my mind but now that you bring this up i makes a lot more sense lol sorry

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_doh:

Some Kingdom Hearts fan you are then >_> I personally thought KH2 was lovely. I don't care if you say 'don't get me started'.

11. kem

kem

KH2 had a wonderful story, the gameplay was amazing (Much more fun than KH1, but I thin the Reaction Commands made the boss fights a little too easy), but the level of difficulty of was laughable. You could go through all the worlds with ease, unlike in the first game in which you actually had to spend time to level up your characters. Birth By Sleep is simply orgastic.

12. Towanda

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love the KH series, playing the games again and again.

That being said I've never played Birth By sleep, Coded or Chain of memories.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You kidding me? You must have played on Easy to Standard, cuz I played on Proud Mode and I had to like level up like ten levels just to beat the beginning of Pride Lands....I couldn't even beat the Heartless chasing Nala until I got high enough a level...and don't even get me started on Demyx and his fucking annoying water clones in Radiant Garden... until I figured out the Knocksmash trick, I wound up losing like five times. The first three times from the 30 second clone period at the beginning, and twice the 10 second clone thing in the middle of the battle....

So no, I'm a great gamer and I found KH2 quite hard if it was Proud Mode...

14. midwestblues

I am a fan, a true fan who is gravely disappointed when the series becomes a train wreck the second (technically third) game in. And if anyone cares to know why I hate it so much...

MY REVIEW:

Kingdom Hearts 2 is the worst sequel I have ever played

Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite video games of all time. I was immersed in the world and am filled with a melancholic nostalgia whenever I think of it. Not so much for the characters but for the brilliant structure of all the worlds that made each one stand out with a life and resonance of its own.

Graphics: 10/10
    The graphics are ideal, just as good as the original. I'm not here to complain about the graphics. There was this ugly mass they called "Roxas" that was pretty hard to look at, but otherwise the graphics were good.

Gameplay: 0/10
    Zero out of ten, I am not kidding. The original Kingdom Hearts had massive worlds with detailed scenery waiting to be explored thoroughly. Each world in Kingdom Hearts 2 is a hallway. A hallway that might lead to a rotunda, from which branches more hallways. Here is what you do in the hallways: Press X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, and then triangle when it tells you to, and that's the extent of your battles. WOW, that's my idea of a fun and engaging game. There are ZERO puzzles, unlike Kingdom Hearts. There are almost no mini-games, albeit the crap with Roxas at the beginning. And Hundred Acre Woods doesn't count, because the games there are awful now. You can't even call them games; they have nothing on the fun little challenges from the original. Why did they even include a jump button in this game? This game is not a platformer. They took out all the platforming fun from the original. This game is a hallwayer. Atlantica, one of the funnest levels from the original game, returns. Except there is no exploration or level or anything. Instead, you get to participate in a series of musical numbers and listen to Haley Joel Osment's squeaky vocals.

Let me touch on the wasted potential. Worlds like the Lion King and Mulan could have been great expansive levels. Instead, they're dull hallways where you can get a game over for not completing some dumb tent "mini-game" fast enough. Also, Pirates of the Caribbean has made an entrance, which is just a mess. That is not Kingdom Hearts material. Neither is Tron, which also disgraces us with its presence here.

Story: 0/10
    The story is just so, so awful. In the original, you got the satisfaction from sealing keyholes at the end of each world. In this game, you encounter "special items" that you bounce light from your keyblade off of, and then it goes to the sky and opens up a keyhole in the clouds. The purpose of these keyholes is never really explained. The entire "story" is contrived by themes of light and darkness, and that's about as detailed as it gets. Light and darkness even lose their individual significance, because it's determined that a person needs a bit of each for ultimate strength. Yeah, shut up. I was so sick of the going-in-circles dialog of light/dark throughout the whole game that I had no problem skipping the cutscenes after awhile. And believe it or not, I didn't miss a single thing.

And now they are introducing new contrivances like Roxas, which is Sora's half-spirit or whatever the hell they called it, I forget. He's extremely ugly, definitely would not fit in amongst the beautiful people from Destiny Islands. So already he's a displaced loser, except he's a supposedly instrumental part of our protagonist, Sora. So now Sora just feels dirty. Then they introduce people of The Organization, which continues a plot that began in Chain Of Memories. The whole Organization thing is generic and uninteresting and completely takes away from the Disney feel that the original had. The members of the Organization have no personality and they are basically interchangeable. Kingdom Hearts did not rely primarily on its character development, but it didn't have to. It did enough with Sora, Riku, and Kairi to make an engaging story within the beautiful worlds of the game. Now Kingdom Hearts 2 is trying to base a massive part of its plot off of the personalities of these Organization members, and they're failing because they took flat characters, put them in a stale and dark world, and threw in the most generic storyline possible.

Sound/Music: 8/10
    The sound is good. The music is okay, but it doesn't have that gripping nostalgic feel that the music from the original did. It feels less orchestrated and more manufactured. But whatever, I was too busy listening to myself complaining about how much I hated this game for me to pay too much attention to the sound.

Extras and Replayability: 0/10
    There are no fun side-quests or mini-games. I can't imagine why anyone would even want to play this game one time, let alone a second. The game is truly the sum of all its parts, and its parts are stale hallways with nothing extra or appealing within them.

So the technical elements of this game, graphics and sound, were good. But everything else was an awful mess.I'm surprised so many people do like it, but I absolutely hate it. I don't only hate it for what an awful game it is, but I hate it for what a good game it could have been but wasn't. There is NO substance here. It's not fun, and it's not moving. If you want another Kingdom Hearts, this isn't it.

15. factwithinfiction

I really honestly tried reading your review but I couldn't get past when you called Roxas ugly. Sorry.

16. Keagan18

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OH MY GOSH!! am i the only one that loves playing atlantica in kh1 only for the reason that he does not have a shirt on??

17. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry but all I saw was "Blah blah blah, I suck at recognizing good games." Let's look at facts shall we?

Gamer Reviews based on 115 reviews: 8.5/10.
    Game Ranking based on 3502 people: 8.9/10
    Gamespot score: 8.7/10 (btw they gave Kingdom Hearts only an 8.2)
    Critic Score: 8.7 based on 74 Reviews
    And on Gamespot, the score based on 22, 971 votes: 9.3/10 (Again KH only got 9.1)

Sorry dude but the people have spoken, Kingdom Hearts 2 was ten times better than KH1.

And here's my review, even if it is a short one.

Graphics: 10/10 awesome graphics, good if not more improved than the first one. Roxas was smexy too so shut yo mouth :slight_smile:

Gameplay 8.5/10: First off the controls were vastly improved, giving an easier time to first time gamers and little to no effort to get use for continuing KH players. The Reaction Command added an extra flair to battles, allowing you to perform almost cinematic type moves that allowed for more excitement than abilities like Ars Arcanum and Ragnarok provided in the first game. I think the only cinematic move in KH you got was what....Trinity Limit? What's more, the Limits were a fun add on, allowing you to team up with your party members to perform devastating attacks on your opponents, once again with Trinity Limit being the ONLY type of 'limit' you could perform in KH. (I must say, if it weren't for Knocksmash, I'd still be attempting to defeat Demyx in Radiant Garden right now, four years later.

I don't really know what you're talking about with the puzzles/minigames thing. I'm sorry, but question, did you bother completing Jiminy's Journal? I mean let's not even get started with the eight games of Colosseum, and training with Phil, but you have the gift wrapping in Christmas Town, six different jobs in Twilight plus four rounds of Struggle, five games in 100 acre wood which are a superb improvement from the first game, you've got the skateboard challenges in every single world, you have to find and defeat every Heartless and Nobody, perform specific goals for all the games, acquire all the synthesis materials. Fact is it takes 40-60 hours to complete the entire game at 100%.

As for the Wasted Potential, well Pride Lands was huge and enjoyable to become a lion. Tron's a classic movie that I was thrilled to see put into the game because it gave an added feature that wasn't the same as the Disney worlds. And clearly you don't like Pirates if you are bashing the world. The only thing I think I can even find wrong with Pirates is the fact Johnny, Orlando, Keira, and Geoffrey couldn't do the voice acting for them since they were busy with World's End.

Storyline: 10/10. The storyline has moved past the cutesy-wootsey of Kingdom Hearts into a much darker storyline that isn't just all about "Kingdom Hearts is all pretty and light!" It lets you see the darker parts of Sora's heart, and what he's willing to give up to get his friends back, it also gives self-doubt to Sora which frankly you didn't see in the first game. And clearly since you were so blinded by hatred of this game you didn't understand the keyholes. The whole point of the keyholes was to re-open the gates between the worlds so Sora could travel to them. It doesn't re-open the hearts of the worlds to the Heartless (even though the Heartless are back), it simply allows Sora to go to/return to the worlds. Remember back in KH how Leon said once Sora seals Kingdom Hearts the walls separating the worlds would...oh what was the word...oh right, CLOSE. So tell me oh wise Kingdom Hearts expert, how the hell is Sora suppose to stop the Heartless if he can't even reach the worlds? Because if you also recall, those gates that you go into with the Gummi Ship are not existent until Sora finds an item to open the worlds' gates.

As for your critique of Roxas and the Organization........................you are by far the most dense and brainless person I have ever met. Let me explain this to you since you CLEARLY did not understand. Sora loses heart, heart gets swallowed by darkness and becomes Heartless. Body and soul left over becomes Nobody. Nobody with strong will from former being retains human form, ie. Roxas. Roxas and Namine are different and contain half the essence of Sora and Kairi, because they both lost their hearts in unique ways instead of just being consumed by the darkness, their hearts were removed willingly/forcefully and also eventually returned allowing them to co-exist. Though you'll still probably not understand this so I don't know why I bother. Oh yes, and there's still the factor of Sora still trying to return to Kairi and Riku in the story, and the Organization getting in his way. Stop looking at a bigger story as a pain in the ass, because it just makes you into a pain in the ass....

Extras/Replayability 10/10: I don't even want to bother going into this because I explained it all in Gameplay. I've played this game like 15 times in the past four years, so yeah I'd say it has a LOT of replayability.

Sound/Music 10/10: Amazing music, amazing sound, amazing voice acting. Nuff said.

You don't like my review, kiss my ass because I'm done arguing with a sap who's too blind to see a good game when one's placed in front of them. You probably think Mass Effect and Call of Duty are good games too >_>

18. factwithinfiction

Nope =]

I love going near a wall and moving the camera so I can stare at Sora's body. Now if only 358/2 days had an Atlantica level...

19. midwestblues

I'm sorry but all I saw was "I get butthurt when someone hates a video game that I like." LOL @ you launching personal attacks because you think I didn't understand the plot. I understood it all too well, which is why I hated it and didn't bother to keep it ingrained detail-for-detail in my memory for the three years since I played the game. Get a life.

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I said, hundreds of people agree with me. You're the one who needs to get a life and stop bashing a KH game on a KH THREAD! All it does is make you look like a douchebag :slight_smile: