1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just wondering

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rayland, Apr 6, 2024.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know. Before dropping of med school I did complete anatomy and phatology exams and learned about the diagnoses and how complex they can be.

I'm not saying doctors are perfect.

Mostly I'm disturbed by the attitude here. I won't say it's like this everywhere, mainly in my city and maybe I'm critical, because I've seen the differences between doctors and their attitudes. There is a dermathologist here who I wish would be my gp instead.
    She was attentive and prescribed medicine and tried different treatments withouth being dismissive or telling me it's my fault that I don't get better or I'm doing stuff wrong. Finally my skin actually got much better thanks to her.

tallslenderguy likes this.
  2. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm sorry if i came off 'sounding' critical. my feel from you as an individual is that you are fair, considerate, intelligent... all i have are good impressions of you. my desire was just to throw in a healthcare workers perspective. Something i should have emphasized more was how awakening the experience has been for me. Prior to being a nurse, i was one of those people i describe, thinking i understood something better than i did. Not saying that about you or really anyone else here, just speaking in general terms.

On the flip side, i think, like any relationship, balance is called for. Some medical professionals have a 'god' complex, which i don't think is ever useful. There are situations where the patient knows more about their issues than the healthcare worker... they may not have the knowledge to understand it in the way a licensed practitioner can, but they know stuff that will benefit a good practitioners understanding, diagnosis and treatment. So yeah, totally right to be disturbed by attitudes, especially when that person is responsible for your welfare. The sword cuts both ways, each would benefit from caring about the other.

Another element is it can be hard to hear about peoples troubles all day long. If affects even the best of us. It's impossible to know this effect before getting into the profession, it just happens. It's hard being in a constant war zone. There was a study i did a paper on in school that showed 60% of bedside nurses quit the profession in the first 2 years. Not just bedside nursing, but nursing. Period. The rest of us adjust and are adjusted by the work and working conditions. i have people yell, curse, question my integrity, throw stuff at me, treat me like a waiter, on a daily, routine basis. i also have some of the most wonderful, profound connections with people that i ever have. i've found ways to keep my heart open, but it's costly.

i do a very thorough exam on all of my patients as part of my care for them. One of my first questions is: "when was the last time you had a bowel movement." Which is a pretty funny introductory question from a stranger coming into your room and waking you at the crack of dawn to ask. Yet, some people can wax eloquent for what seems forever on their bowel habits lol... and though i've asked this same question of thousands of patients, i still have to look fascinated while gathering vital information, and this is only the first question.

3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @tallslenderguy It's okay to be critical. I think it can be useful learning more about the other person and for me to learn too. I'm not perfect either. I'm flawed. I let my emotions get the best of me often. I've been very anxious about loosing acces to healthcare, because other trans people here have had bad experiences too, where doctors don't take in transgender patients at all and refuse to write prescripions for hormones and so on.

My dad had sepsis and he was at the hospital with it. Almost died. He's not fully in wheelchair, but needs to use cane. He has wounds on his legs and it's something I need to help with. I always properly follow what doctor says, since I hope they know more than me. None of it has helped. The doctor accused then me, that I'm doing stuff wrong. Even if I'm doing things perfectly, then none of it matters. I end up being doing something wrong anyway, even though following instructions. I shouldn't be even doing all of this. I want to live my own life. Despite I'm trying hard, because family is important to me. He needs an hip replacement, but because of the persistent inflammation in the legs he can't get it, because infection risk would be too high to perform a surgery.

I've had too many bad experiences with doctors. Not just regarding me, but other family members too.

tallslenderguy likes this.