1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just when....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Boatman, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Boatman

Thank you all. I'm not having the best day. Lots of confusing thoughts and feelings. Reading all your comments really helps

2. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boatman feel free to share those thoughts, it really does help.

3. Boatman

The one thought is what if I'm wrong.... Growing up I was always told that I was wrong or stupid. Yeah, I know I'm an adult, but that ingrained self doubt really kicks in at times like this

4. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wrong about being gay? You attracted to dudes? Sexually?

5. Boatman

Yes, very much. I know it's a stupid statement in some ways, but everything in my head is so screwed that thought of what if I'm wrong just pops in there

6. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get it :slight_smile: and you don't sound stupid. At all. But if you want to talk about it in here :slight_smile:

7. Boatman

Today's is better apart from the lack of sleep and sore head. We talked and have the basis for moving forward. I'm not sorted but I've taken a more positive path. Talking, keeping the momentum going on that score and not running into the black hole under the stair is my goal for the week ahead

8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is certainly a catch-22 for married guys. It can be tough to have full confidence and embrace your gayness and move on until you have experiences with other guys to make it real. To get the experience either requires that you end the marriage, open the marriage, or go behind your wife's back. If you still have doubt, it may help if you post why you think you may or may not be gay. Or do you know that you are gay but because of internal homophobia don't like the idea of being of gay or can't see yourself acting gay?

9. demidiluvian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may not help, but when I asked my therapist a while back if a straight guy would spend this much time churning over whether he was really, truly gay or not, she said no. I don't know if that's 100% true for all people, but it helped me relax a bit.

10. Boatman

Demidiluvian, it really makes perfect sense. Thank you

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

You're making progress :slight_smile:. This is good to hear. Stay strong! You know we're here to listen and encourage you if you find yourself running back into that black hole... (&&&)

12. Boatman

Things are a roller coaster. We are talking, and generally in a positive way. But there is so much hurt that I've caused and my partner is alone with this. I seem to have a lot of choices for support, there is very little for a husband or wife coping with this situation. Online forums appear to be very bitter unhealthy places. Does synonym know of a sane support network where a husband or wife can go?

13. CameOutSwinging

I've seen that Straight Spouse Network (I think that's the name) but I've always thought some of the writings on there were a bit extreme. It could help her to just find a good therapist, if she doesn't see one already. Or perhaps even couples therapy if you are trying to stay together.

14. Boatman

Yes I've seen that too, it seems like an unhealthy place. I need to find something good for her, that can help her not be alone

15. CameOutSwinging

Is she looking for that? I know we want to take care of our spouses through this, but some aren't always open to reaching out for help. Sadly, they have a journey to go through as well that is just as hard as our own.

16. TrueSelf

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PFLAG? I know it was originally started for parents, but I also know spouses can get support there too.

I think most of us have gone along the road, (some far down the road, some not so far) of trying to be who we were told in so many (and oftentimes so subtle/insidious ways) who we are supposed to be. When we begin to "wake up," it can feel like quite a shock. Our whole perspective feels like its shifting and the ground beneath our feet feels even more unstable than ever before. But as we continue to take steps forward, one at a time, we begin to feel some space . . . some breathing room, and start to feel that maybe this situation is workable. And it is. It's hard, but it's workable.