1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality fixed from birth or does it change later in life?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Obliteratrix47, Aug 20, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is sexual orientation that is the characteristic that is being described as fluid here. If your sexual orientation is fluid then by definition your sexual orientation is changing over time. Otherwise it wouldn’t be described as fluid, it’d be static.

If you think I’m wrong, then what characteristic do you think is being described as fluid (as in subject to variance) if not the sexual orientation?

#121 JT1999, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
    Aelin56 likes this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @JT1999 Being sexually fluid doesn’t imply that sexual orientation is unimportant. It just emphasizes the fact that sexual attraction is not determined by another person’s gender or sexual identity. Sexual fluidity is not a new concept. It has been around for decades.

3. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not suggesting its unimportant. I'll leave this with a couple of quotes from the article:

"Sexual orientation is stable and unchanging for the vast majority of people, but some research indicates that some people may experience change in their sexual orientation, and this is more likely for women than for men."

"The results of a large-scale, longitudinal study by Savin-Williams, Joyner, and Rieger (2012) indicated that stability of sexual orientation identity over a six-year period was more common than change, and that stability was greatest among men and those identifying as heterosexual. While stability is more common than change, change in sexual orientation identity does occur and the vast majority of research indicates that female sexuality is more fluid than male sexuality."

Aelin56 likes this.
  4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I recognize how important this is for you and I don't want to unvalidate your experience, then the study you shared says that for the most it stays unchanged. The notion that sexuality can change is often used by religious groups or groups who are trying to force people to change their orientation and for people who struggle and question it's especially dangerous. Most often people don't seek these therapies out voluntarily. This is one study and only talking about the experiences of some people and I don't know all the factors concidered during this study and how they conducted it.

5. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that article already excludes the "vast majority" of people from being "sexually fluid" and says their orientation is fixed. So conversion therapy has already lost most of its potential audience.

For those who say that they've experienced "sexual fluidity"- have they chosen to change their orientation? Have they accomplished this through an act of will? If not, and it occurred spontaneously, isn't "conversion therapy" useless for them too?

The article states bluntly that: "There is no scientific evidence that sexual orientation can be changed through psychotherapy." I guess that can be discarded as not being freethinking enough or something.

It also states that "the few changes in sexual orientation that did occur following therapy did not last". Big surprise.

I would personally ban it for under-18s because they're often forced into it by their parents, doing immense harm. (I'm not sure why JT1999 thinks that a teenager being fundamentally rejected by their parents at a very impressionable age would cause "a relatively small amount of harm".)

For adults, it's a balance of freedom of choice and potential harm and I don't know where I stand on that. It's a sick notion that something inherent and involuntary needs changing, but if people want to fool themselves (or rather, feel compelled by societal signals to do so), I guess they have the right. It's just a shame that there is such a level of intolerance and ignorance (often justified using religion) that people feel forced into these endless cycles of repression and self-loathing.

Rayland likes this.
  6. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Choosing whether or not to put a label on your sexuality is not the same thing as acknowledging who you find attractive or arousing has changed. Whether you are happy with the changes or not. There are endless posts on here from people struggling to accept new found feelings of attraction that doesn't fit with what they previously thought they liked. I struggled with a label for a while but I've settled on bisexual as its the closest. Should we really care about "the vast majority"? We're all on here because we're not in the vast majority when it comes to sexuality.

I've got no problem with this stuff being off the table for under 18s, they are kids after all. But you are putting words in my mouth, I said nothing about teenagers being fundamentally rejected by their parents at an impressionable age. Of course that is going to be harmful, and its harmful whether or not the parents are trying to push them down a conversion therapy rabbit hole.

#126 JT1999, Oct 2, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  7. Colm

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Involuntary feelings of attraction, not willed like conversion therapy claims. "Newfound feelings" are often newly-acknowledged old feelings. Fine, let's grant that there's a small minority for whom the feelings seem to come out of nowhere. Even then, it's involuntary and completely contrary to the basic principle of conversion therapy, that sexual orientation is somehow subject to our own volition.

If the vast majority of people have a fixed sexual orientation, it probably affects the viability of conversion therapy, no?

I don't see how I'm putting words in your mouth. That is the form that conversion therapy often takes. By definition conversion therapy involves the attempt to reject a part of yourself. You said of conversion therapy that it:

That's just an untrue statement. Even for adults, the harm caused can be immense, which is why several countries have banned the practice completely and more are contemplating doing so.

But anyway, I think it's increasingly apparent that this discussion is a bit pointless so I'll bow out. Hope you have a good day.

8. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @JT1999 Yes and endless people have OCD and saying that sexuality is fluid don't help them. People should think more and do their own research and really think outside of the box. Sexual orientation is generally considered a stable aspect of a person's identity, while fluidity refers to changes in attractions or experiences over time. It's essential to recognize that not everyone experiences fluidity, and sexual orientation remains constant for many individuals. Trying to pick out from these studies what fits with you don't really help anybody. And why are you so on the offence, when we say that it don't change, while it's true. It's okay to say your experience is different, but not continue saying that like it's only right statement. There are many experiences and everyone's journey's are different. We here in EC take into account the scientific approach not individual experience approach.

Aelin56 likes this.
  9. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As you've decided to bow out I'll not respond to any of your points - I do appreciate the debate and I mean that 100% genuinely. No hard feelings here whatsoever. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed :sunglasses:

10. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree that sexual orientation is stable for most people. Most people I know still have the same sexuality as the one they were born with or developed during childhood. Most people don't really do much experimentation with the same sex though, or indeed with gender norms. I do often wonder if people were more open-minded, how many people would either 1) discover their true sexuality far earlier or 2) find their sexuality develops in response to their experiences - you can pick whichever of those you agree with best.

I am really not on the offense either. If you believe that nobody's sexuality can change that's fine with me. I've got no interest in appeals to authority either. Just because a scientific organisation says something today, it doesn't mean they are right and they shouldn't be questioned or have contradictory testimony presented. Those exact same groups considered homosexuality to be a mental illness within living memory, so I hope you can forgive me for my slight scepticism about believing everything they say especially when it contradicts my own experiences.

Peace :v:

11. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quick reminder: You are absolutely right when you say scientists should be questioned. However, remember that science isn't a matter of "I think X because that's my opinion". You have to prove it, and eloquence isn't enough. Many people forget about that.

As you said correctly, some organisations in science did indeed consider us to mentally ill, and that was a huge problem. However, that wasn't change just because someone said the contrary - more studies and evidence were collected and used to prove that those organisations were wrong.

That's the essential problem with people defending "conversion". Of course, science can be questioned, and that's important! However, to question it, you must show proof. We have lots of evidence that these so-called therapies are actually extremely harmful to mind and body. No one has proven the contrary. We can't consider both sides as valid when you have proof of danger and damage to innocent people and only empty arguments without proof on the other side.

Mihael and Rayland like this.
  12. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My tolerance levels currently what have been high, reside down low. I think I've been emphatetic and trying to listen too, but this ends now.

Transphobia, homophobia and supporting harmful practices don't belong in the EC. I encourage everybody to read our Code of Conduct what you've all agreed to by signing up.

It astonishes me that someone who is claiming to be psychologist has no ability to listen what others are saying and fail to see their standpoints and don't believe in science what most universities use as well to teach and if they are a psychologist they hopefully have done work based on science and best practices.

13. AnxiousReader

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The idea that anyone would even feel their sexuality “needs to be changed” though is the issue. We shouldn’t live in a world where people feel they need to not be attracted to the same gender. No one should feel they need to change.

Mihael, mnguy, JT1999 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it can change over time the more you learn about yourself.

AnxiousReader and Rayland like this.
  15. TerdFerguson

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe the core of JT1999's argument is that the above statement is meaningless drivel, which of course, it is.

A person's sexual orientation is defined by their attractions. It's not possible for one of those to be stable while the other changes over time.

16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I'm talking about attraction and sexual fluidity is based on attraction. It's like no one listens.

17. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And none of it's made up that the actual orientation itself is stable. It's not like you become straight, just because you love your wife or husband. This is not how things work.

18. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Orientation is stable, but once you experience more and question you find who you really like, this is not changing the orientation. You just discover more about yourself.

Mihael and Aelin56 like this.
  19. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot change anyone's beliefs and this is what I'm not trying to do, but I do draw the line, when the statements delivered are false and there are no scientific proof given why I'm so wrong in what I'm saying.
    You're welcome to say it, if you have actual proof, then I admit I'm wrong, but I cannot see that happening. I do love to learn.

20. JT1999

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How can you prove scientifically what sexuality someone is? It can't be proven in the same way you can prove water freezes at 0 degrees or that gravity exists. Sexuality is not a hard science, and its all open to interpretation or people's feelings. If a supposedly straight person starts feeling attracted to people of their own sex all of a sudden, there is literally no way to prove they were either bisexual all along or their sexuality changed. We can argue about it until the end of the world and that isn't going to change. I know what I believe about myself, and I'm accepting of what anyone else believes about themselves. If someone tells me I was always bisexual but just didn't know or had repressed it, if they want to deny my experiences and my feelings about myself, its not going to cause me a problem. I'm 100% comfortable with my sexuality. But my response will be that they're wrong.

AnxiousReader likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.