1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that failing probation makes you ineligible for rehire?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thexboxguy, Jun 17, 2023.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi everyone, I hope you're all doing well. Let me start by saying last year I was working at a department store called Sears. Unfortunately I was fired/let go from my job last January 2022. My boss told me that one of the reasons for that was that even though I was doing a very good job, I didn't finish some tasks before the deadline (The deadline was 48 hours). In fact, since the beginning they told me the deadline was 48 hours. But sometimes I took longer than that due to the huge amount of work I had to do all by myself.

My job was to be in charge of three different medium-sized shoe warehouses that were in the store and I remember that day I had to make an inventory of 490 pairs of shoes, then put them in boxes and have someone send them to another store (within a deadline of 48 hours). Obviously it took me 4 days to do so, as I struggled to find some lost pairs and I was doing it all by myself. Even another supervisor/manager, who worked in the same area, asked me if I was doing all of that by myself and if nobody was helping me ( I worked as a stocker). It was just that and once my boss told me I hadn't put some shoes in the right shelves, and just because once I asked him about a pair of shoes that I thought had defects, then he got upset and said that by then I should know how to tell when a shoe has quality defects (I had been working there for 2 months when he told me that). Tbh, I worked there only for 3 months. I was told by the HR lady that he had put in the comments poor performance/low levels of productivity, he gave me a bad review.

During the time I was working at that company, I noticed most of my co-workers weren't great people. In fact, most of them didn't help me, I usually had to get things done by myself. Although most of my co-workers weren't "great people", I still managed to make some friends, though.

I've heard some companies have a DNH list of people who’ve been fired.

Does failing probation usually make you ineligible for rehire?

Sorry for my english, it's not my first language. So I apologize for any mistakes I've made so far.

#1 thexboxguy, Jun 17, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on the company, although if you've been fired for low performance already (in or out of probation) you'd probably need excellent experience and references to get rehired. There's also the fact that there are very few Sears stores left, so unless there's been complete turnover since you worked there, it's very possible people you worked with are still there.