1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to be afraid of the psychological evaluation?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Marina1997, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Marina1997

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello.
    I am still doubting my gender identity a bit, I am more convinced that I am a man (I am biologically a woman).
    I am afraid of the psychological evaluation, what if it is not true and I am confused about something?
    What if they don't believe me?
    I don't know how the evaluation works, nor do I have anyone to ask.
    I know that when I look in a mirror I see a man, but what if it's not true? Help!

2. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Under no circumstance is it strange to feel fear or apprehension before any psychological evaluation. They’re scary. Layer on top of that the vulnerability of laying your psyche out for someone to assess, and add in the knowledge that your assessor is also a gatekeeper between you and something very very important. If you’ve made it this far, you’ve probably been exposed to the message that feelings aren’t real or unreal, valid or invalid, they just are. Your fear is emotional evidence that what you are doing is from the heart and genuinely matters to you. If you need proof that you’re doing the right thing, well, your feelings ARE that proof. So go ahead and be afraid, but keep following what you feel is right. Courage isn’t the absence of fear, it’s determination in the face of fear.

Rayland, TinyWerewolf and Marina1997 like this.
  3. Utachiyo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't had an official psychological evaluation but I went to see an LGBT friendly counselor when I first started feeling that I might be transgender. I felt the same way you do. What if I'm just having some weird midlife crisis?? You're definitely not alone!
    I don't know what the evaluation will entail but just speak your truth and everything will be fine.

Marina1997 likes this.