1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In "Love" With My Therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bluesunlight, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, but what if I'm not projecting and I was right all along? Do I just say "sorry, perfect man, not gonna happen - I prefer to stay depressed and die alone!" or should I seek to end therapy with him and get to know him outside of a psychiatric setting to see if could lead to something real?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's totally not true. What you have described are a large number of inappropriate self-disclosures and grossly inappropriate comments that are, within themselves, pretty severe ethical violations, and actionable on their own.

Alone, they would not be enough to get his licensed yanked, but it would probably get him on license probation, and require additional ethical training and clinical supervision for a year or two.

Calf likes this.
  3. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you do say that! I think you need to realize that if you aren't projecting and he really is interested, that's probably worse! No good therapist would ever become involved with a patient. If he really is the way you say he is then I would hope that he would refer you to someone else, and then seek help for himself.

Chip likes this.
  4. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What self-disclosures have been inappropriate? What if everything is just my own projection and my own interpretations of events, like others have said. Let's not go overboard here and start calling them ethical violations. This is a career he's worked extremely hard for.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well now you're creating a totally false scenario, where he is literally the only person in the world that can make you happy, and you'll be single and depressed the rest of your life. That's bullshit.

But to answer your question, yes, recognizing the inappropriateness of what you're asking would be the correct response, and then he (if he were acting in the highest and most ethical way) would terminate therapy and refer you to another therapist, since the damage to the therapeutic relationship is probably already very close to irreparable.

You could end therapy with him and then WAIT 2 to 5 years (depending on your state and the particular licensing board's ethical regulations) before approaching him to date. In that circumstance, he would not be violating his ethical obligation.

There is no appropriate way to date him without the waiting period. None. No shortcuts or workarounds. And most ethical therapists won't date clients *regardless* of the amount of time that has passed, simply because they realize the inherent issues with it, and why it is generally a terrible idea.

#45 Chip, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But, if I stop being his patient, does it really matter at that point? Sometimes people can't help falling for people, and we're both very much adults. I'm probably the least troubled person he's seen anyway since he mainly deals with families, couples, and substance addiction. Maybe IF he's attracted to me, that's part of the reason why.

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's see... from your own posts above...

(1) Telling you he's married and for how long.
    (2) uttering plenty of innuendos that didn't have anything to do with anything other than to be flirting
    (3) Telling you he's going camping
    (4) Telling you he loved watching Malcolm in the Middle
    (5) A reference to your butt
    (6) A coffee reference about concentrate on how the warmth it would feel going down my throat.
    and arguably
    (7) that he "loves and values committed relationships" (though arguably that's most anyone emotionally healthy, so not really personal)

The first five are unquestionably what's known as inappropriate self-disclosure, which is, in itself, both very poor professional practice AND a significant ethical violation. It is also a reflection of extremely poor personal boundaries, which are a huge red flag for ethical violations.

The only reason a therapist should ever self-disclose anything to a client is if (all of these must apply) (1) there is a specific, therapeutic reason for the disclosure which benefits the client; (2) making the disclosure is unlikely to have any negative effect (such as fueling projection or transference); (3) the disclosure, and the reason for making it is documented in the notes of the file. I seriously doubt that he notated in his case notes that he complimented your butt, that he disclosed his marital status, or that he told you he was going camping, or any of the others.

I don't see how the above statements can be projections. Your interpretation of what they mean might be, and God can only hope they are, complete fantasies and projection. But even if your interpretations are competely off the mark, the statements themselves are inappropriate self-disclosures, which are ethical violations. He seriously needs to work with a good clinical supervisor, and get into personal therapy, or get out of the profession.

#47 Chip, Aug 13, 2017
  8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, it matters, because without the 2 to 5 year waiting period, it violates the ethical standards he swore to uphold, and in most states, the law. Loss of license and possible incarceration matters to most mental health professionals.

If that happens to a therapist with a client, the therapist should not be a therapist, period. That is made very clear to *every* student in their first year of undergraduate ethics, and is reinforced multiple times as the student continues his or her schooling. My ethics professor put it very succinctly: If you, as a helping professional, are seeking out to fulfill your own needs with your clients, then you haven't done your work, and you should not be practicing. You will harm the client, and you will violate the ethical standards of your profession, and likely lose your license. Lots of therapists feel something for their clients, but they recognize it and either dismiss it, seek clinical supervision, or if it is something that goes beyond what they think they can manage, they terminate therapy with the client (and don't see him/her afterwards) and refer him elsewhere. There's no qualification or equivocation on that point.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with it. This isn't a "consenting adult" issue; it's the law and the standards of practice, which for whatever reason you seem absolutely incapable of comprehending.

From what you've described in this thread, I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that this is probably not the case.

#48 Chip, Aug 13, 2017
  9. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1.) He didn't tell me he's married. He wears a wedding ring and has a picture of his wife on his desk that shows the date they wed.
    2.) Innuendos/double entendres might only mean something to the person hearing them.
    3.) The camping was a hypothetical he gave that I interpreted to mean whatever/something clandestine.
    4.) He only told me that after we were discussing how I like to de-stress by watching my favorite shows.
    5.) It wasn't exactly a direct reference, but a more general one. My interpretation again.
    6.) He told me he tells all his patients to focus on that. I'm probably making it suggestive.
    7.) He didn't tell me that. His focus is on making couples/relationships/families work and improve. I just deduced from that.

10. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, you don't have to be rude, I don't deserve it. I've struggled with generalized anxiety disorder, anorexia nervosa (he doesn't know that) since I was a teenager, and occasional loneliness and sadness. I generally function well and am healthy. I know my issues, and I always strive for improvement. I'm a nice, kind, intelligent, caring, sweet, agreeable, amiable, and loving person. I'm very relationship-oriented and you can see why this is such a predicament for me. Obviously, you think it's helpful just to insult and devalue people.

#50 bluesunlight, Aug 13, 2017
  11. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it does matter. The general consensus among therapists is that even though you may technically be allowed to date after 2-5 years, it is still highly discouraged for an infinite number of reasons. Any good therapist would see unethical and dangerous to your mental health a relationship like this could be. Also, I agree with Chip. I am not trying to offend you, or be rude but based on what you have said I seriously do not think you are as "untroubled" as you think you are.

12. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When did I ever say I was untroubled? I'm hyperaware of my personal issues and analyze and evaluate everything. I just function well in everyday life despite my problems, and I'm good at interpersonal relationships and avoiding conflict. I've also never tried/abused substances, self-harmed, been violent, been in trouble with the law, etc. Who really cares at this point? It's probably all projection, so no worries, right?

#52 bluesunlight, Aug 13, 2017
  13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Funny how now that I've mentioned that it's close to mandatory report territory... and that the Internet isn't as private as people think... that all these things above that you absolutely insisted and reiterated several times as support for his being attracted to you, and were so certain of, are suddenly things you made up and interpreted and projected, which you absolutely, positively insisted previously was not the case.

Sorry, I'm not buying the BS you're selling, and you're a lousy liar because you're totally contradicting and tapdancing... and not doing it well. As the same ethics professor said, "If you're going to lie, better keep a lie journal, because you're bound to contradict yourself." And you've already done that. (No, I won't tell you where.)

I suspect that what you said in the first place was correct, and now you're trying to cover your ass and keep your boyfriend-in-waiting from being reported for ethical violations.

The comment wasn't intended to be rude, only factual. I'm not judging, I'm just saying... what you've described in this thread, both about yourself, your interpretation of events (which seems to be changing 180 degrees, which is in itself problematic), and your utter lack of any concerns for anyone other than yourself point to someone with some significant issues that need to be addressed. That's not intended to be rude or hurtful, just factual... lots of people have significant issues. But there are also plenty of people who go to therapy for very minor issues.

What I was trying to get across was that you implied that you were probably the least troubled person he's seen. From what you've described, and the way you've handled this discussion... unless his population is unusual, I would say, with a pretty high degree of reliability, that you are probably not the least troubled client he's seen. That's all.

14. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, we've established that I'm pretty troubled. However, I'm probably just projecting my loneliness and desire for real love and a lifelong relationship onto him, because he's just my type and I love talking, not to mention the fact that therapy is very comforting to individuals and he's paid to listen and empathize. The therapy sessions almost feel like the perfect date to me, which causes my feelings to go into overdrive even more. This isn't his intention, it's just the way I feel, and I can't help it. All of these things have led me to feel a fluster of feelings that have been confusing for me and I'm probably just reading too much into his every action and word, and hearing what I want to hear. I'm not lying, and I really don't want to destroy anything in his life over my own personal issues and relationship needs. So yes, I'm concerned about what I've said and I don't want any damage being done to him when he hasn't even done anything wrong to me. I'll work through my attraction to him, it will be difficult, but it's most likely that it's just one way and on my part. I've just been feeling a mixture of confusion and excitement over him for obvious reasons, but I don't want any damage being done over my erroneous interpretations and projections. I don't lack empathy despite what you may think.

I have moments of illogical thought like anyone else, and I realize nothing would likely ever happen between us - no matter how much I would like it to. I just need to sort this out and talking about it with others helps.

#54 bluesunlight, Aug 13, 2017
  15. DayByDay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wasn't even going to respond to the last message you wrote to me because you are now doing a complete 180, and I'm fairly certain you are lying. However, in the case that you aren't lying, it's important that you realize that you cannot continue to see this therapist. Period. You can't "work through this" on you're own like you stated before, and I would heavily advise you to switch therapists and try to figure out why you might have had these feeling to begin with.

16. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a decision I'll have to make on my own. I've had success with female therapists in the past, so maybe I'll look into that again. How do you know that anything I wrote was anywhere close to being true though? I could be a pathological liar for all you know, it is the Internet, after all.

However, if I find out someone from here gets my personal information, I'll look into legal action. I don't appreciate being threatened when nothing unethical has even happened to me, and everything I've said has been fabrications, extreme exaggerations, delusions of yearning, and fantasies.

I regret even posting this thread in the first place, but that mistake has already been made.

#56 bluesunlight, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice attempt to cover your tracks.

I agree completely with DayByDay. As I said above, the 180 degree turn has contradictions and clearly is intended to discourage people from reporting what is pretty clearly a therapist with egregiously poor boundaries who is likely causing harm to multiple clients.

I also agree that you need to terminate with this therapist... though more than likely, you'll do as you originally planned, and hit on him, with no cares for the impact it will have if he responds... and basically royally fuck up his life (as the information *will* come out.)

I don't know what legal action there would be, as there's no basis for any claim. On the contrary, for licensed professionals, *not* reporting a professional who is potentially harming clients is criminally actionable, and so any report, if made by a licensed professional, would take precedence over any privacy concerns.

#57 Chip, Aug 14, 2017
  18. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taking someone's name and then having their medical records looked into because of some nosy rando on the Internet is a huge violation of privacy. My therapist has never made any advances towards me and I have issues with fantasizing and hearing what I want to hear/seeing what I want to see.

#58 bluesunlight, Aug 14, 2017
  19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umhmm. Sure.

Looking into medical records would be a HIPAA violation. Identifying a practitioner that is harming clients and taking appropriate steps so that authorities can investigate and take necessary action would not be any sort of privacy violation.

By the way, I'm in no way saying that I or anyone in particular is going to do this, only that it is well within the bounds of appropriate action, in much the same way that abused spouses, when confronted, will often absolutely deny that there's any abuse in order to protect the abuser.

#59 Chip, Aug 14, 2017
  20. bluesunlight

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except he hasn't made ANY advances towards me. I've already scrambled the details of what's happened, and it's most likely a mixture of projection, transference, and profound longing on my part. I'm just saying that you shouldn't be so callous with random Internet ramblings when people's careers are at stake. I have my own personal issues and my therapist doesn't deserve to be accused on any wrongdoing. I'm sure he's happily married to his wife and wouldn't want some skinny gay boy with emotional and psychiatric issues. It's just that he's my type and actually conversing with a man his age about my feelings and having him be understanding led me to develop intense feelings for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.