1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I made a HUGE mistake.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TWFit, Jan 29, 2006.

1. TWFit

Ok so not knowing any people like me really got on my nerves so I sorta told one person who I thought I could trust about who I was, howeva somebody overheard and now its all over the skool and I cant help but feel everywhere I go people are watching me. Its bad enough not knowing any gays to talk to but even worse when ur all alone and everyone knows about you, I think i should have kept my gob shut.:eusa_booh

2. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Being outed like that can be hard.. You pretty much have two courses of action: Live out or play it off as a joke.

If you wish to continue letting people know, think about those people who you can lean on. The person you were telling before, did they take it well? There are plenty of people on hear who'd be more than willing to lend an ear. Is there a local PFLAG or Youth group in your area?

If you want to play it off, then if people start making a fuss, just make up an excuse like "We were just joking around, I'm straight." That was sort of uncolorful, but you can make up something different.

3. Micah

Hey TWFit and welcome to the forums.

I found myself in a similar situation at my old school in year 8. My bi-friend mark and I would talk online, then mark lent his laptop to his friend who read the chatlogs. I didn't take it too seriously, considering it was the last few weeks of the school year, and it had already been decided that I was moving schools. However, in that last week I was constantly harassed by the guys in my year level. As I said earlier, I was in year 8 at the time and wasnt exactly prepared to come out. So I ended up not standing up for myself, giving the guys something to feed off. Luckily I had my friends who stood up for me, but the guys realised that they were getting to me, so continued.

I then moved to a larger, city school. There was one out gay guy in the whole school. He had a few people make comments behind his back, but no one ever said anything to his face. His attitude was completely different. He stood up for himself, and blew off comments made to his face - not caring what other people thought. Eventually everyone saw that the comments didn't affect him and they just grew old.

Talk it over with your close straight friends, get their support. Use them for courage and stand up for yourself. Try not to let yourself be brought down by things other people say. That's even if they start harassing you. The situation doesn't have to be a negative one. Sure you were outed earlier than anticipated, but that doesn't mean it's not a good time.

Dave

4. hawkeye

Dave and tinkergeek gave some good advice, so i'm not going to elaborate on that, but whatever happens, goodluck. We're always here for support!

5. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

Yes, I should have added...

Good luck, be strong, be who you are!

6. tired_of_lying411

Heres a way different angle. Maybe it will be kind of a "belessing in disguise" as they say? If you decide to go with it, accept it. Be strong and take all the crap they give you. Let them know it doesnt effect you and maybe you can live happy, knowing that it is no longer this big secret.
    Although I dont really know what I am talking about because Im not in your situation.

7. michaelf

:bang: :bang:

Hi

Well I think the first thing to look at is you did not make a HUGE mistake. You do not have to feel you have done anything wrong or that anything is your fault.

Next, is "the cat is out of the bag" and maybe in the long run this will turn out to be a positive step for you. It happened my accident. You felt you could speak to your friend honestly, but someone had big ears and apparently a big mouth. They are the ones who should feel guilty of having done something wrong.

I give you credit for wanting to share something very important with an important friend. That took a lot of courage. And of that you should feel very proud of yourself.

Things make be a little difficult at times but my guess is that you will know how to handle those situations when then come up. And one thing is for sure you still have a very good friend that you can talk to/with. And good friends like that are not easy to come by. It says a lot about you that you have such a friend.

So remember = no guilt - you did nothing wrong. An error occurred, but it was not your fault in any way. You were and are talking to and with a good friend and that is rather special right there.

If you still feel you need to talk to someone else - an adult - about what has taken place - think of a person, friend, relative, teacher, counselor, etc. you feel comfortable with and share with them what has happened. My guess is you will get some very supportive advice and good feelings from that person. Just give them a chance to help you out. Believe it or not, that's what adults are there for - to help and assist children and young adults such as yourself make it through growing up. And you would be surprised at how many adults around you might just be waiting for you to say something to them so they can "do their thing."

take care:smilewave

michaelf
    (an adult)

8. lloyd444

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you may not feel at all like your lucky but i think you are.. i spent ages worrying when to come out and even when i did worrying who knew and who didnt. at least you dont ever have to worry about any of this. xx