1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I ought to introduce myself...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Boyfriend, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

hello hi!

sorry to hear about your bf :frowning2:
    wish him speedy and good recovery

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  3. TSN2012

Well, I believe that many people will just decide to leave their loved one and move on the second they decide that it's all too much for them to handle. So what you are doing is definitely something to look up to.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, that shocks me!
    So maybe it's got something to do with how I was brought up or something?
    Or maybe I'm just a romantic fool that doesn't switch so easily from one to another? (He's my first...)
    Or maybe I'm just naive and stupid to believe in true love?
    Whatever, for me it makes sense to stick to him and I do so with all my heart.
    If I was to leave him because of things being too much to handle, I would have left him the moment I knew he was in therapy. Or when he started to get really nervous and couldn't speak anymore, or when he told me he was unsure if he was able to love at all.
    (Believe me, he can give love, never felt so loved in my life, but receiving was still a bit of a thing).

Ofcourse, he isn't out of it yet and I don't know how difficult it will get. But I am quite determined. And again, I have the support of my parents.
    Maybe it's a good discussionstarter for a thread? I didn't know there could be other opinions... always good to learn.

5. charlieswife

your story is very sad, i couldnt imagine how awful it would be if anything happened to my wife! you did right sticking by him,as many others would run.Best wishes to you, and high five to your supportive parents :slight_smile:

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you. I know I am very lucky with my parents!

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you have to talk about him, his life is what you need to talk about, you are literally living to tell his story, this is a safe place to do so, don't stop!

8. Kay

Kay Guest

Welcome to EC!!!

9. BiBoy19

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to hear and hope that he makes a quick and safe recovery. From what I've read I can tell you too are soul mates and love is the most powerful thing in the world, I hope that love helps him heal and I'm sure it is right now. I wish you the best. :slight_smile:

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, greatwhale, Kay and BiBoy19.

11. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope your boyfriend recovers well. I have experience with a family member who had a traumatic brain injury and was in a coma for a little over a week, and then in a partially awake state that wasn't technically a coma (but looked very similar) for another two weeks. Early 20's is still young and the brain can do more healing than I'd been aware of.

My family member was not able to speak, or walk (back injury too) upon waking but over time and with therapy has made an amazing recovery. Now ten years later no one who didn't know my family member before the accident is aware of any impairment or personality change. There is a little impairment still, mostly loss of vocabulary and a slower wit. There is also a tiny amount of personality change, but the base personality is the same so a little shift on some things one way or the other hasn't been upsetting or alarming. There was also some memory loss, which has improved but the time period near the brain injury is still gone.

I don't know your boyfriend's situation, and I don't want to override anything doctors have told you since they know his particular case. I just wanted to let you know that I know that all the waiting, the "squeeze my hand," the waking coma, and the therapies, and the diapers (yes diapers) are hard. They're really hard, and it's easy to get discourage and thing that this is as good as it will get. The young brain is an amazing thing, and it WILL fight to recover. It got better for my family. I wish that for you too. (*hug*)

12. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you. It's nice to hear such a positive story.
    He is responsive sometimes and opens his eyes and looks at you, squeezes your hand, but he is not responsive for the rest of the time, so it's not like he is "awake" . But he keeps progressing, so I am hopeful. I don't know when you call them officially awake, really. I should ask the neurologist I suppose.

I don't mind if he can't walk or talk and if we have to clean him up and stuff (although I know that would frustrate him), but I think it would be difficult to deal with him if he would be agressive or something...

13. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    By the time my family member was doing those things they weren't officially calling it a coma anymore. Though I certainly wouldn't have considered the person awake or alert. It's good that he keeps progressing. That's really good! :slight_smile:

The walking and talking came back with therapy at least in my family member's case. The memory loss surrounding the brain injury thankfully took care of being embarrassed of having to be cleaned up by other people. No remaining memory of that, and we've never thought it was an important detail to fill in once the rest of the memories came back.

There was an aggressive phase, and I don't think that is abnormal. If your boyfriend starts into an aggressive phase, don't panic. Wait it out, and be patient, and of course keep yourself safe if he is large and strong. He won't know what he's doing. My family member slowly progressed out of the aggressiveness as the brain continued to heal. It was probably six to eight weeks that included some form of aggressive outburst, and that happened after some walking returned and some speech.

I wish we were full members so I could PM you. I know how hard this is, having also gone through it with someone I love. Just take it one day at a time. (*hug*)

Edited to add: Also, do you know if they're sedating him so that other injuries can heal without him moving around? My family member was purposefully sedated once the beginning of the eyes opening, hand squeezing and waking up thing because of other injuries that could have been made worse by moving too much, or pulling out tubes and monitor wires. Just something you might want to ask the doctor if you're trying to figure out what is going on.

#33 Parsley, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  14. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also wish you could pm me...

I will make a list of questions and take it with me and see if I get the chance to talk to one of the doctors that treat him. I suddenly realise I haven´t been asking much. Sometimes I can hardly take in what they are telling me.

I keep a journal for him. They told me he won´t remember this period. I write down the messages he gets from people on twitter, e-mail and here.
    It is also handy to spot the progress and to write down thoughts and such. In the beginning it was all about fear of losing him, but now it is more about the here and now.

15. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Staying in the here and now helps so much. It's how I got though it. I never looked at the big picture. I only looked one step ahead. The big picture had too many "what if's" and too many unknowns.

It's super sweet that you're keeping all the messages for him to read later. :slight_smile:

I don't know if he has a private room, but when my family member was in the ICU we brought in a CD player and would play instrumental soothing music while we were there. I don't know if it helped, but it felt like it did. The nurses would play it while we weren't there too.

If you ever want to talk about anything or vent or just have someone to relate to you're more than welcome to post on my wall. I'm on here almost every day, and I promise to get back to you. Stay strong. Your boyfriend is astoundingly lucky to have someone like you. :slight_smile:

16. Yui

Yui

Oh my god, I'm soo sorry - what happened to your boyfriend is incredibly sad :icon_sad:

And it's incredibly sweet and strong and brave of you to care for him! You might think that in times of crisis it goes without saying to care for a loved one but thats definitely not the case, believe me...

You can talk anytime you want, feel free to message me (you have to apply for full membership first to use pms, but you can do that in 2 weeks or so) or write on my wall (*hug*)

Your boyfriend is very fortunate to have you and I think the idea of keeping a journal for him is great!

I hope your boyfriend will recover soon! And stay strong - you're doing an amazing job!

Tons of hugs and kisses for you and the boyfriend!

(*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*) :kiss: (*hug*)

17. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Yui!

Parsley, I have been playing music he likes from an early stage. It was terrible that I actually had to ask his best friends what he liked, we never talked much about music, really. One friend send me two songs he was sure he liked, and a spoken message, which was sweet of him.

One question I had, they couldn't answer. Because he is tri-lingual, I wondered if he would switch to one of the languages I don't speak.

Doctors said that anything can happen at that level.

We just have to wait and see.

18. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I am sorry about your boyfriend you have great parents that take you back and forth to see him my prayers are with you all

19. Candace

Hello and welcome to EC! :slight_smile: