1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to change my eating habits and I don't know if I can

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lookingup9, Mar 1, 2020.

1. lookingup9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been very stressed lately about my eating habits. It's at the point where I worry about it constantly.

I've never had the self control to eat right and I don't think I ever will. I've know this has been a problem since I was a teenager and I've never been able to change. But while in college I've gotten really bad.

My main problems are that I hate cooking, I don't eat very many fruits and even fewer vegetables. I eat a lot of bread, and too much sugar. But the main problem is due to my laziness about cooking, I often don't eat real meals at all. I almost never eat breakfast, and lately I haven't been eating an actual meal for dinner unless I go to a restuarant which of course is not every day.

I can't believe how much I'm able to ignore my body telling me to eat. I don't usually have the energy to work out anymore, which I usually enjoy. I'm just so exhausted all the time. I thought it was because of depression or maybe my meds but I can't deny I would probably feel so much better if I had nutrients.

I have several friends who are really into healthy cooking and nutrition and I find myself being jealous of them. They're always worrying about me and trying to get me to do better, but I don't feel like I can. Every day I fail over and over.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, this doesn't sound like an eating disorder, as such, but is more about your willingness or ability to cook for yourself and concern about the types of foods you are eating.

You mention having depression and I wonder if that's what is really demotivating for you. Sometimes, when our mood is low the idea of cooking for ourselves and washing pans and dishes afterwards just seems too much, so we begin to comfort eat and turn to convenience foods like sandwiches, cakes and sweets instead.

Apart from taking medication for the depression are you getting any other support?

Jesuis moi likes this.