1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I always knew I was gay, but was always in denial

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Dpm12, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Dpm12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom (who left me) was a strict Christian and a homophobe and told me she would disown me if I was gay. She's no longer in my life (hasn't been since 2009) and I'm starting to feel more comfortable identifying as gay.

I came here so I can have a place to talk about this kind of stuff, as I'm only out to a friend (I'm autistic and don't have many to be honest). My family doesn't know; I'm not ready to tell them yet.

2. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I attended a religious homophobic community growing up, and it made me believe I was going straight to hell. However when gay marriage became legal in America they all magically overnight changed their tune and were accepting at least. It still gives me whiplash thinking about it. This is a great community that can help you find some answers.

3. tallslenderguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'm glad you found this place. Being alone and in your own head can be lonely, it also gives us a very limited perspective on life. i think we need each other, that people are social and need to connect with each other. Our sexuality is one of the many wonderful ways we can connect and bond with others. As the sites name implies (Empty Closets), that's certainly a purpose of this community. To change the isolation of the closet that so many LGBQT+ people experience. So many here, including myself, have experienced family rejection simply for being different. You are not alone, welcome.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dpm12…..Hello and a big LGBTQIA+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: I can remember the first post that I made on EC. I was desperate for help and I got the help that night that I so needed. I hope that we can help you in the same way that I received help. The most important thing to remember about Empty Closets is that we do care about you! We're very glad that you found us here on EC and hope that we can answer questions, give you support and provide a place to vent (as long as it's not violent! :old_wink: ) when that becomes necessary! This is a safe community of loving, caring and very supportive people and we will do our best to help you blend into the community.

*****There are 18 different sub-forums here that you can check out, join in the conversations or start your own thread/conversation. When I first joined Empty Closets I was in need of a lot of support and encouragement and I found it here…EC is a safe place. I hope that you'll find good things here too! Folks here will talk to you and share...you don't have to be afraid of asking questions...we're glad to have you! Empty Closets is all about making connections and giving LGBTQ folks a voice when they otherwise don't have one in their day-to-day lives. :old_cool:

*****In particular you may want to check out the forum that is titled "Sexual Orientation”, there are people there who may have dealt with some of the same kind of issues that could be challenging you.

Some info on how to navigate EC: :old_confused:
    When you have made at least 10 posts on various threads you will be able to post messages on a member's Profile Page. Just click on a member's Avatar Picture and then click on "Profile Page" in the dialogue box that pops up. You'll then be on their Profile Page and there will be a box that says: "Write Something”. When you have been on EC for a few weeks and have made at least 50 posts on various forums, you can apply for Full Membership. Only A Full Member can send Private Messages (PM) and then only to other Full Members and share personal contact info. Right now you can only send a PM to a Staff Member as that is always possible. Here is a quote from the Full Membership information forum:

*****To be eligible you must be a member of Empty Closets for a minimum of two weeks, and have a minimum of 50 posts. These posts must be across numerous forums (Fun & Games does not contribute to post count), and consistently posted across a minimum of two weeks. You wouldn't be eligible, for example, if you registered, had no activity for two weeks, and then returned to post 50 times on your 14th day of membership.

*****Well, as I said, we're very glad you found us! :old_big_grin: If you have any questions at all, you can send me a Private Message as you can always send a staff member a Private Message.

…..David :gay_pride_flag:

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dpm12.....So glad that you have found us here on EC! :old_smile: I went through something a bit like you when my step-father died in a car wreck and then my mother abandoned me when I was 17. It took a long time to overcome that. I hope someday your mother will realize what she has lost and will ask for forgiveness. In the meantime...we will do our best to be your LGBTQ Family!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

6. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So sorry you had do deal with your homophobic mom