1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many legs?

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by Sam, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Sam

Sam

I got this sent to me in an email and thought it was interesting enough to share. See if you can come up with the answer, I'll come back and tell you if you got it right and if after a while nobody gets it right I'll tell you the answer. yes I do know the answer it was a password to open up something but I don't really want to attach anything.

There are 7 girls on a bus
    Each girl has 7 backpacks
    In each backpack, there are 7 big cats
    For every big cat there are 7 little cats

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

GOOD LUCK!!!

2. Tom

Tom Guest

ok so we have 7x2 legs for the girls, there r then 49 bags in total each containing 7 big cats which means that you have (2x7)+(49x4) legs so far

then each big cat has 7 smaller cats so u have now have (2x7)+(49x4)+(49x7x4)

=14+196+1372
    =1582 legs

but that seems too easy and the answer will be 14 or somet as the cats legs are in the backpacks, only the girls legs are in the bus or somet liek tht so ethan did say it first but ill say 14 aswell

#2 Tom, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

7, 14? :slight_smile:

#3 EthanS, Dec 16, 2007
  4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Take drazarian's answer of 1582 and add the legs of the buss driver and you get 1584.

5. Sam

Sam

No sorry! not right you are missing something big. Don't worry it took me a long time to figure it out I kept coming up with the wrong answer and then I felt stupid for taking so long when I figured it out.

6. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Big?? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: how big ^_^ , probly thw wheelsi cba countin

7. EthanS

EthanS Guest

the chair legs?

8. Steam Giant

the bus driver's legs? Or is the bus parked? <.< >.>

9. panda

On a bus ? In a bus ?

10. Sam

Sam

Its actually not a trick. You just have to read it and calculate it very CAREFULLY! when I explain it and reveal the answer you will be like OH! Its just like it says no tricks and it has nothing to do with a bus driver or the legs of the chairs its only what is in the problem. nothing is left unsaid all of what you need to figure it out is in the problem.

7 girls each have 7 bags each bag has 7 big cats and each one of those 7 cats has 7 little cats. think about the cats and add it up and then add the girls legs at the end if its not figured out by tomorrow I'll give the answer. Its actually harder then you think because there is so much involved in the problem. I will give a hint though, its a big number : )

11. EthanS

EthanS Guest

oo cats hav 2 legs 2 other r paws

12. Sam

Sam

no each cat has 4 legs and each girl has 2 (of course) hahaha its funny to see other people struggle with this after I did, it was literally making me mad because I thought I had it figured out only to find out it was wrong then when I figured it out I was like YES! I figured it out.

13. Tom

Tom Guest

i think i left somet out in the previous answer but ive recalculated it to 10990

and just to check i did

7x2=14

49x7x4= 1372

1372x7= 9604

14+1372+9604 = 10990, which is a big number if correct lol

#13 Tom, Dec 16, 2007
  14. Sam

Sam

well drazarian you are way closer than before. you are warm. I'm pulling for you I really want someone to figure it out instead of me having to tell the answer. keep thinking! good luck I have a feeling you'll get it.

15. EthanS

EthanS Guest

16. Sam

Sam

Well drazarian I guess you edited your post and I posted before you did that and didn't check back but guess what?

YOU'RE RIGHT! THE ANSWER IS 10,990.

For those who would like to know how its figured out:

since each girl has 7 bags and in each bag there is 7 big cats each having 7 little cats there are 56 cats in each bag (49 little and 7 big).
    multiply 56 times 49 bags and multiply that by 4 because each cat has 4 legs and you get 10,976 then you add the 7 girls legs which is 14 and you get

10,990. (of course there are different ways you can figure it, drazarians way seems more simple)

Congrats drazarian!

#16 Sam, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  17. panda

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, sorry... the answer's 14. You didn't say the girls had their backpacks with them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. InaRut

Yea that's what I was thinking. Did the girls bring the backpacks on the bus ;-)

Lol I say 0 because everyone is ambutated from me frustrated with the problem and thus attacking them all with a chainsaw....including the cats :grin:

20. Tom

Tom Guest

lol the problem wasnt tht frustratin Inarut, i only gou it wrong first as i forgot to include sum brackets so the comps calculator did the sum wrong =[