1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you help parents who are in denial?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by marieblue, Feb 27, 2014.

1. marieblue

Years ago I told my parents I thought I was a lesbian and they never accepted it. The odd thing is that despite occasional homophobic comments towards other LGBT people, they've never said anything homophobic to me and I don't they they actually are.

They just seem to think I'm perpetually confused and that I can't possibly like other women since I told them when I was 12 and that if I were truly gay I would have known earlier. They just think I continually confuse friendship for something more and that I haven't dated enough men yet.

Just when I think they're starting to be ok they'll ask me "so are you still confused? You know it's normal to have feelings for other girls - it doesn't mean you're gay. You need to date more and meet more friends... stop hanging around girls or friends who aren't single - that way you can find nice guys to date"

What the heck do I do? I'm in my early 20's and can't support myself yet so I can't move away. It's just so frustrating.

2. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Explain to them yes, its notmal to have feelings for girls, feelings such as empathy, love, friendship... But.... Another thing is to have romantic feelings and sexual feelings for girls...

Maybe you could also tell them that by this point you should have at least feel some sexual attraction to a guy, but you havent...and they should know that straight girls might take time to find in love, but lust happens with more frequence.

I hope they understand...otherwise they might get the sudden surprise of you having a girlfriend and they would be like " but but tbut....wasnt it confusion?" :lol:

Good luck...and patience

3. peace87

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mid 20's here. Just do you. If you need them financially still, then keep your relationships on the down low. When you can make it on your own, come out. If they love you, they will accept you.

4. IG88

Part of the reason that your parents think that you're confused is from the fact that you come off as confused. If you tell them you think that you're lesbian, instead of asserting that you are for sure, of course they're going to create scenarios why you might be confused.

I don't know how to help you over the confusion, but after you find out with more confidence that you are either lesbian, straight, or bi, then you can tell them with more assertiveness. Hopefully they'll be supportive! (*hug*)

5. Emberblaze

You're in your 20's, not a little girl any more ya know. I think you should explain that to them. But, just let them think what they please if theyre steadfast in their views. Definitely don't go out on a dating spree.

You get a girlfriend, if you think it's something serious, try to introduce her to your parents and such.

6. KTaylor2013

I agree with this. Although I would like to add that it might be helpful (if they aren't too homophobic, sounds like they're not THAT bad) just to sit down with them and remind them of how you feel. They might think it was a phase. That being said some people are more comfortable with the gay community when they don't have to think about it. I'm not saying it's right but sometimes silence CAN be the best policy. We can give you advice all you want but you're the one who knows them best and you're the only one who can decide what's best for you and your relationship with them.

7. ratatattat

ratatattat Guest

Yeah, my parents are like that too. I think what happens is from throughout the years of having a negative opinion that people choose to be gay, when it hits so close to home, they can't accept it. If they did accept you were gay, then that would imply either you were just like the people they "disliked" or those people...aren't as wrong as they had initially thought. Basically, they don't want to admit they were wrong, which is to be expected, but maybe in time when they observe you in a relationship with a woman, it will finally sink in.

8. oliro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ask their opinions on gay marriage and maybe ask what they would do if you were gay. If they say something that sounds dangerous, don't come out. From your description, I don't think that they would