1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with a homophobic best friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Music Heals, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Music Heals

Hi everyone!

So there's one girl I know, a girl I would essentially call a sister to me. We've known each other for five years, and although she's moved away from my town, we still keep in extremely close contact. We give each other advice on nearly everything, and have helped one another through some more difficult chapters of life.

However, she's Roman Catholic, and because of that it seems, homophobic. Now, I really try not to stereotype Catholics. I have other friends who are Catholic and who are very accepting of me and my sexuality. But my friend takes the bible's every possible passage that might possibly be able to speak against gays, and uses it like a crutch for every arguement. I've brought up gay rights before a handful of times, and she can argue for hours, quoting the same few passages, about why the bible says she's right. I can find counter arguments to her phrases. She ignores them.

On one occasion, in a hypothetical situation I had presented because she doesn't know I prefer girls, I asked her if she would come to my wedding if I married another girl. She said no, because of her moral Christian obligations. Now that really hurt my feelings. This is the same girl who used to plan weddings with me, where we were always each other's maid of honor and everything. But she said if I were lesbian she couldn't even come to my wedding?

She is the main stumbling block in me not being out of the closet. I'm fairly confident that, although she wouldn't cease being friends with me, she would be disappointed and try to change my opinion and be uncomfortable around me. I know a lot of people say that if a friend can't accept your orientation, they aren't truly your friend, but I feel like all of those rules get flopped with her. I consider her my older sister, I go to her for advice all if the time. Whenever she wants to talk about crushes, I always try and use gender neutral words, but it just gets strange at that point.

So after that excessive preamble, what do I do? Should I just ignore her homophobia and hope she comes around someday? And just continue not telling her about who I like? This is the first time I've ever kept something a secret between the two of us, and it just makes everything seem so weird.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know you already refused this idea in your post, but my initial reaction here was that an lgbt person with a "homophobic best friend" seems like a contradiction. Like someone who's found "the perfect man/woman" - except that this person doesn't like them back.

I would say a couple things here. First of all, your friend doesn't know that you prefer women yet, so I would take her response to the wedding question with a grain of salt. It's very possible that she means it, and would follow through on it - but that's also not happening tomorrow, and who knows? Things, and people, can change, especially when they realize they have a reason to.

Also, if she's the main obstacle to coming out and this point, and you know you're ready for it otherwise, then it might be worth it to think seriously about talking to her some time in the near future. If you stay in the closet for this person, you're going to feel resentful about it eventually, and I'm sure you don't want that.

You've already kind of suggested that she's not homophobic because of being Catholic (since you know several other Catholics who are not). Why do you think she feels this way? Lack of exposure to gay people? Taught by family? Misconceptions about what gay people are like? Maybe rather than having a theological debate, you could approach the issue from another direction. Maybe she's not pro gay marriage at this point - how does she feel about gay teenagers getting bullied? There could be some other common ground to be found here.

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before telling my best friend about me.. he was the biggest homophobic... he'd always mock, beat up and embarass some one who is gay... but this guy is like my brother.. (im an only child so) our rents would treat us the same.. if one got in trouble well the other would get it too... we were inseperable (sorry spelling aint my thing) when his old man passed i was there and vice versa...

so when i realized that i bat for the same side i was really down... and had no one to talk too.... and it went like this for years...one day we got drunk and i said to him what would you do if i turned out gay and he laughed and said that he'll call me a f%* and will cut me off... which made pretty much turned my world upside down...

long story short.... i love this guy like a brother and so i told his gf... who egged me on and so one day.. he and i went fishing with some of our other mates and when i finally had the chance to speak to him alone... i just blurted it out to him and nothing has changed from that day... we're still the best of pals from when we were younger...
    and to this day he, and his GF who gave me the extra push are the only one's who know that im gay and they keep asking if im going to find a dude and if so, my best mate wants to interview him lol...

Sometimes people say stuff that hurts when you give them alternatives. but when you tell them straight up they will shock you... i was afraid i was going to loose my "bro" and he wants to be my best man if i ever get hitched... and im going to be his best man in December this year...

Good Luck and Keep your Head Held High ... a dogs bark is worser than his bite

4. Music Heals

Thank you so much for your replies. They've really given me some new things to think about, and some new tactics to think through.

Gravity, she's so stagnant in her beliefs because if how she was raised, and she, I believe, misinterprets sections of the bible to fuel her own conservative viewpoint. I really like the idea of approaching it from another angle. I think the bullying angle would work very well, as she's very opposed to bullying. I hadn't even thought about trying to debate different levels of it.

Dimitriaus, thank you so much for sharing your story with me. It gives me hope that she might not be as unreceptive as I percieve her to be. Congrats on coming out to him! That had to have taken some pretty incredible courage.

Thank you again!

5. BlackSwan

Hi! Well, I understand your situation...My bestfriend is (well now I don't really know..here's why) homophobic.. she never said it directly but she has always done some kind of jokes and coments..I even remember her reaction when we knew that a friend of our (not too close that time) was lesbian..
    Anyway...last week I came out to her...by a letter (email actually) because she was angry with me because she thought that I didn't want to be with her, that I replaced her with some new friends...I think that the fact that I was planning to tell her about my sexuality was really afecting my relationship with her..(those days I was so confused..and had many things in my head because of it and other stuff)
    The thing is that I told her that I wanted her to know that I also like woman...but it's been the toughest thing that I've ever done; I didn't wanted to lose her

The day after she responded...in sum she said that know she has like a... "dilemma" because I was the most important person to her..that she won't stop being my friend and talking to me but that she couldn't even say that "every thing is Ok"...nevertheless she added that maybe it was time to reconsider what she thinks about people like us..which would be nice

However, things aren't the same as before...we don't talk aaall the time as before..but I thing it's only a matter of time for her to get used to the idea..

I just want to say...good luck :icon_wink and don't be afraid...

#5 BlackSwan, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. Clowstar

honestly, i wouldn't be able to surround myself with homophobic people. sometimes, people's opinions change once they know someone that they're close to is gay. the only thing i would say to do is to come out to her. if she accepts you, great! if not, then she's not really someone you need in your life, now is it?

i had a friend in high school that showed many signs of being homophobic. she was a redneck, country-loving, pick-up-truck-driving, cowboy-boots-wearing, jesus-loving girl. one time, we were talking about a persuasive essay i had to write on same-sex marriage (i think this was 2009, before many other states had legalized). she told me that she hates gays and continued to talk about the only out kid in our school. given, he was a stereotypical flamboyant diva/drama queen and most people didn't like him just because he was a little bitch. i never came out to her and just stayed off of the topic of homosexuality around her. once i went to college, i changed my facebook to say "interested in: women" and listed my relationship status with my girlfriend. she texted me about a week later, just a "hey, how's school?" and we kept talking and she said that she didn't know i was gay but she was really happy that i found a girlfriend. i saw her at christmas at my best friend's house and she asked when she's going to meet my girlfriend. my best friend threw a valentine's party and i brought my girlfriend with (she's also very close to my best friend and was invited). as far as i could tell, they liked each other. when she asked me why i never came out to her, i told her that i was scared to because of the things she said about the flamboyant kid. she looked at me and said, "i didn't really mean that i hate all gays. i dislike the ones that suddenly change to embrace the stereotypes and [that kid] just for who he is as a person" to which i agreed.

tl;dr: you never know with some people. they may change their minds with time, they may when they find out you're gay. they might not have realized what they said.