1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Wait?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AdamTheWinner, Oct 17, 2021.

1. AdamTheWinner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am waiting to be diagnosed with gender dysphoria before I do things like ask to be called a different name by teachers and come out to my aunt. Unfortunately, this won't be until late November. I thought I could handle a wait since I have waited for other important things before but it is seriously weighing on me. It's getting pretty bad and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. I've been seeing a therapist but things are just getting worse.

Does anyone have advice or tips on how to handle this?

2. BonaDrag

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man oh man, can I ever relate. I'm a bit further along in my transition than you are as it seems, but its a constant game of waiting- hrt changes, surgeries, waitlists, appointments, its never ending.

Honestly, the few things I've found that helps relieve the anxiety of waiting is focusing on what I enjoy about myself and my life now. Keeping occupied with hobbies. Writing out your feelings and thoughts often (helps you engage with them in a more objective way). Oh also, I basically live through movies with lgbtq/trans representation, music, etc. when things are tough. And when all else fails, just talking to other people irl and in online spaces, people who get it, can help relieve a bit of the tension. I'm always around for a chat!

Idk how accessible it might seem to you, but I also am always working on a spiritual practice and enjoy reading philosophical ideas around living in the present, ideas around future and expectations and such. It's a constant learning process.

I'm glad you have a therapist, that's always helpful. I feel for you friend, you've got this!

Rayland likes this.
  3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey Adam, I'd say just to think of the bigger picture. Five weeks - measured next to the rest of your life - is nothing.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Adam.....Hello again! There is a youtuber named Alex Bertie who is FtM and has documented his transition from before he started up until now where he has completed his transition. It might be a big help for you to watch his videos to see what he went through and how he handled the delays, etc. Check it out! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Rayland and BonaDrag like this.