1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I force myself to do what I must?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TinyWerewolf, Nov 20, 2023.

1. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The time is approaching to leave this place after nearly four years. Yet I still get so torn up by how close that is- that this may be the last Thanksgiving and Christmas with my bio family. It pains me terribly, I truly don't want to leave them to become the outcast son and never see them again, but feel I've been left no choice. How do I manage this gaping hole in my heart so I can escape and live? I'm so lost on how to deal, please help

2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though it's hard, then it's needed step for your own well being. Change and another enviroment often bring forward growth and when you can be true to yourself, then you think how come you didn't do this sooner. There will be new opportunities for you and world is wide. You choose your family and there will be new people in your life you will love very much and who close up that hole and who accept you as you are. The begginning is always hard, but you got this. Warmest hugs.

quebec and TinyWerewolf like this.
  3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It may be difficult, but you have to do what's best for you. Once you're gone, they may realize how much they want you around as well. However, there's always a possibility to create your new chosen family, too. You could always leave a contact number for your siblings if you're on good terms. There was a former member here who went through a very similar situation as yourself with his family, though I can't say what the outcome ended up being if they ever reconnected or not.

Rayland, Tiago GA, quebec and 2 others like this.
  4. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yup, you've got no choice. I know how you must be feeling - leaving home, for any young person even at the best of times, is a hard thing to do. But what's the alternative? To stay there forever? No.

This is the beginning of an exciting new chapter in your life! Think of all the interesting people, the fascinating twists and turns your life will take! You have a beautiful empty first page in front of you. Of course, I'm not underestimating the pain of leaving your family. But you know if your heart of hearts that have to do this. They have left you no alternative.

Courage, dear Jack. You've made it this far and survived when others would have gone under. You can do this!

Big hugs,
    Beth xx

5. Chillton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now I wouldn't focus on trying to live. Turn everything off and just focus on surviving. Once you're settled in your new place away from your family, then process your feelings at your own pace, and live the life you want. My experiences are very different from yours but I also grew up in an abusive environment. My mother divorced my abusive dad and it was a nasty one. Many of the extended family members on that side of the family were also exceptionally nasty. I felt as lost and down trodden as my mother and sister. However, I knew our survival was at stake and I couldn't afford to back down. I dropped everything in my life to step up and protect my mother and sister and encourage them to steal their resolve. I turned off all my emotions and fought to survive. We crossed all our T's and I's through the divorce as a team and came out the other end with flying colors. Once we got settled in our new home, we started the long process of healing and it took a few years to get to a good place.

You may be lost now, but once you're settled, you can find your new self. I know it hurts and that feeling will never go away, but take solace in trying everything you could to reach out to your family. If they don't respect you or listen then it's on them. You did what you could.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jack.....Are you going to live your life for yourself or are you going to be a puppet of your family for the rest of your life? That's really the question that you have to answer. You need to have the chance to be yourself...to spread your wings and be the beautiful butterfly that is the real you. That will NEVER happen unless you move out and get away from your family. They are constantly forcing you to fit the mold that they want you to be. Unless you leave you will never be the real you. Twenty, thirty and more years from now, if you do not leave, nothing will have changed. You will be older but you will still be under the thumb of your family and you will still be unhappy...oh, I guess I am a little wrong you will be far more unhappy than you are now. Is this the future that want to look forward to? As difficult as leaving may be, it is the only way that you will ever be able become the real you. The sooner that you take this step, the sooner that you will be able to begin the transformation to that beautiful butterfly Jack that we all are so anxious to see! :old_smile: Any change comes with pain and remorse, but the benefits of becoming the real you are so much more, so exciting, so thrilling that there is just no comparison to where you are now. So make you final plans, gather up your belongings an GO! We will still be here for you...always!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Others have already wrote excellent replies, I'll just add my two euro cents.

Really, could the scenario you described possibly hurt worse than what you've been enduring these years? Pain is pretty much inevitable, it's just how life is, but think about the possibilities ahead, the chance to finally be yourself, a shot at living your best life - none of which will be possible unless you make this move.

Get out of there ASAP, take the time to heal and live on your own terms.

Best of luck to you!

8. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for responding <3

Big hugs for you too, Rain. I hope that's true, and I can start my transition in the next couple of years. Maybe I could finally ask out the girl I like, or instead of getting girl clothes for Christmas or my birthdays start wearing men's clothing, or binding or packing. I can only try to hope anyway. I think my dog will help me stay more positive, as well as my chosen sister, but knowing how much my bio family used to love me hurts. I still love them, never gave up on them even, all for them to not be able to know me at all.

I feel sorry for that man, knowing the same pain.

I have thought of making a letter to leave behind for my family, mainly my parents, where I have a date, place, and time set to meet them again if they ever changed their minds. It will be in a public setting, either summer or late fall/winter, time and specifics are TBD. My bio sister unfortunately isn't very accepting, kept me away from her kids after coming out to her (and I had to beg my parents to let me come out to her). My bio brother doesn't think I'm validly trans and merely transitioning to avoid sexism, that's what he said in the short time I was out anyway. He would be the only one I'd consider leaving a number for, his love isn't conditional despite the mild disbelief/transphobia. I don't know if I want to do that though, leaving him out of the loop is going to be really hard for me if I don't.

Great big hugs to you too, Beth.

I've held out hope for them for so long, hoping they'll turn back and realize how they've hurt me and do better. It's hard to let that go and shift it to hope for my future. Things like asking out the girl I like and transition are easy, but the first few holidays without my bio fam are going to sting. Really my family is quite large outside of my immediate family too, one may even pass away in my time absent. What hurts the most is my time away from my sister's kids, and knowing my disappearance may hurt them. I wish I could spare those kids from being caught in the middle of this. I can't stay until they're all eighteen though, that would be fourteen years. My heart is broken over this all.

I'm so sorry that you had to live through that, I hope your journey to healing has helped you.

I have indeed tried, and instead was met with resistance. I think I'm too naive and have too much hope for them, I don't know how to kill that.

I'll respond more later if I can

9. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The way I think about these things: The future won't be perfect, but at least now you're totally in the driver's seat, and any setbacks or pain you endure is because it's important to you. There may be some suffering at times, but it's better than meaningless suffering. You may struggle and feel upset, but it's because you're trying to make things better, not worse.

A lot of times family doesn't want better, because change is hard and often painful too, they just want more of the same. Which I think is often times more painful in the long run.

Wishing you the best, Jack. :purple_heart:

TinyWerewolf, Chillton and chicodeoro like this.