1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Come Out As Non-binary To Transphobic Family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CharleyLikesYou, Dec 22, 2022.

1. CharleyLikesYou

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. My name is Charley. I am a 15-year-old non-binary teen. I need help coming out to my transphobic family. I would wait until i'm older, but waiting is starting to take a toll on my mental health due to body issues, my deadname, etc. I would appreciate any tips or advice that you may have to help me.

Thank you,
    Charley.

2. brigitta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First off consider the possible implications of such a move, how might they react? What is the worst case scenario?
    Do you have where to go? Anyone who you can count on to help you if things go bad?

Considering that you’re underage, it is especially tricky. Coming out without a contingency plan in place could mean trouble, to say the least.

Is there a LGBTQ+ organisation in your area? If so, it might be worth to reach out to them, they might be able to offer assistance you can’t exactly receive online.

Otherwise, the other option is to hold fast and wait until you’re 18 and can support yourself financially - then your family won’t be able to stop you.

Ushiromiya Red and Rayland like this.
  3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi Charley, first of all I have to ask how transphobic are they?

I mean, are they as transphobic as to throw you out onto the street? In which case - don't come out to them, or at least not yet.

Or are they transphobic in the way most of the cis-gendered community are? In other words, do they like the idea of trans people living free lives in theory, as long as none of their actual family members were trans (in which case they'd naturally assume said members had lost their minds because they couldn't possibly know what they're doing etc etc).

So it's a matter of degrees.

As you're 15 and still dependent on them I would urge caution and assume the worst case scenario. Brigitta makes a lot of sensible suggestions. Do your research, have a back up plan. Are you out to any allies and friends yet? It might be easier to live a double life, out to people you're out to, yet still playing the dutiful daughter (I'm assuming you're AFAB) to your parents. Many of us end up doing this for extended periods of time for our own safety, myself included.

Good luck though.

Beth x

Ushiromiya Red and Rayland like this.