1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you come out to your parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Adam123, Jul 12, 2012.

1. sol4r

sol4r Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hmm, well I asked my mom if we could go for a drive (same with my dad but you know whatever) and just sort of talked about all of the hints that I'd dropped before and left her to piece it together. Definitely my favorite coming-out I did though was with my grandma, who's bisexual herself. I just sort of took her to a diner and we talked about one of her old girlfriends and she was acting like it was just a friend, but then I told her I knew, and she asked me if I liked girls too and that's why I was bringing it up. It was easy enough after that but yeah.

2. allyson

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my parents saw there was something wrong with me and I was never happy.I finally told them I am truely a girl and hate being a boy when I was 15 years old.My parents called me a freak rejecting me and I was kicked out.I knew I was female at an early age,when I was about 3 years old.

3. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    it makes me feel terrible that some of you have suffered rejection from your parents... and scares me a little :S

although my mum actually said to me yesterday that if I was gay she'd still love me after she'd been watching a show with a gay couple in it... it was an off the cuff remark sorta. I just can't tell her, I'm so afraid :'(

4. RachyAnn

funny story how my mom found out. i was having a conversation with my sister and she said something about my sexuality. i ran to my mom yelling my sister was making fun of my sexuality. she laughed and was like "what?" so, my sis said i have a girlfriend and i told her who. Although, a couple weeks later my sis and i were conversing and she heard something so she said "what?" and i said we were just talking about my girlfriend and how her dad isnt accepting of us and doesnt want us together. she just said "oh, i thought you guys were kidding about that" my sis and i laughed. i then said "obviously not" still laughing.
    ~~~~~
    i havent told my dad yet. I'm a huuuge daddys girl and im afraid of what he'll say, although he told me one day that if i had a girlfriend he wouldnt care and said "well, hell. i wouldnt care. as long as you're happy" i was gonna tell him then, but we were in the car and i didnt want my grandma and my dads friend to know too.
    --------
    i hope all goes well, with you and telling your parents.:slight_smile: i think once you tell them youll feel so much better.

5. Jim94

I came out by letter and tbh I wish I could delete the memories of how they reacted.

6. Pauline

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out in a family meeting my mom didnt say a word but dad was like I'll be damned if my son wants to be a girl a few months later was the first time i wanted to kill myself over its my parents had done everything to try and "make me NORMAL" it never worked i think the real sad part was i never got to really talk to my dad about we lost him two years later

7. allyson

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My bio parents were jerks and disrespectful to gays and lesbians.My adoptive parents were raised very well,don't hurt or judge anyone in a bad way and love me knowing this is me.

8. MusicIsLife

Last year my mom noticed that I was an absolute mess all the time, not sleeping, not eating, just...a mess. She came into my room one day and asked me, "Do you want to have a sex change?" (her words, not mine) and the tears began.

A year later, she's still not on board. We're supposed to go see a counselor on Thursday together but she keeps trying to get out of it, and when I tell her that she doesnt HAVE to go, she gets all defensive. So yes, we still have a ways to go.

9. IrisM

Coming out as trans was difficult. I had just made up with my parents a few months ago after not talking with them for eight years, nearly nine. They'd been really warm, caring, and open with me and we'd talked about a lot of the issues we'd had back then. For the first time in my life, I felt appreciated, and we got along.

When I was younger, from the time I was twelve or so, I tried writing down what I would tell them, but I would always throw it away or burn the letter out of fear. And to be honest, knowing them as they were then it was probably for the best. Since the day I started talking to them I'd began writing the letters again, and then fathers day came around.

I invited my dad to go out to his favourite little food stand, and we talked about life, and the way things had gone. All throughout the day I made sure to tell him that sometimes life doesn't give us a straightforward path. I told him how much I appreciated and cared about him. I told him about how much the day we started talking again and all the time since had meant to me. And then when it was time to part ways, I left him with an eight paragraph letter detailing my feelings and convictions.

I got a call later that night, from my parents. They told me that in retrospect, it hadn't been that much of a shock. I'd never dated, not guys, not girls, and so they knew something was up. I'd always been quite effeminate. And I always had cried very often and easily. They told me that, they weren't going to drive me away, and that it was my choice. That whatever path I needed to walk, they would be there for me.

10. Silvails52

Wow. All these stories give me some hope, and others really scare me. I keep thinking about telling them, but I don't think I can until after college is over. I'm terrified of them reacting so badly they won't pay tuition.

11. Azza

It was a Wednesday I think and I had committed myself to telling my mother. It was quite late at night as my dad had just gone to work, I remember walking up to her and then i kind of started crying... then I finally managed to blurt out that I was gay. Initially she was quite supportive and told me that she loved me. Afterwards she was insistent that it was just a phase and I can tell she is kind of disgusted by it and after a year keeps hoping it will go away, she also told my Dad behind my back so that's great.

12. SkyHunter

SkyHunter Guest

I came out at midnight about two months ago. My parents were sitting on the sofa, I sat between them and said: "I want to talk with you about something". I explained them my thoughts during the previous five years and finally, after crying a bit because of all the nerves, I told them I was pansexual. I had to describe what that meant, and they told me I didn't have to worry at all because I was their son and they loved me :slight_smile:

13. Koll

I had been in a relationship with my best friend since around age 14 for a good .. 5 months before I was questioned.

Reasons being is we almost never seperated (And we were close before, too) and sleepovers became more common. Not to mention (apparently) we were really touchy in eachothers company..

I denied it at first, but when the relationship ended a year later and I was a giant mess of emotion I had to talk to someone.. so I basically laid it all out on the table.

14. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't have to come out to my Dad - he had died before I made the decision. My mum was very opinionated and didn't shy from letting everyone know what she thought.

I hadn't lived with her for years and I was visiting her. We were watching a TV programme together and she started talking on about gays and paedophiles. I just said, "Well you won't think much of me, then!" She was shocked into silence. After a couple of seconds, she said, "Yer not are yer? Shit!"

She then asked me if that was shy I had a beard like George Michael, which made me laugh!

She accepted me - she realized that I was still the same person I had been 5 minutes earlier.

My coming out might not have been typical, but I think we fear the act as much as the consequences. I was at a stage in my life when her disapproval, if she had disapproved, would have had no effects on my life. I can appreciate that it would not be as easy for someone still relying on their parents.

15. Adam123

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hit the nail on the head with that one!!