1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose the first person you told?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Marlowe, Jul 29, 2011.

1. rene

i told my boyfriend at the time but i told him i was bisexual and mostly intrested in boys.. he did not take it well.. i thought he would because we had been so close for so long and when he reacted like he did i retreated to the closet for about five years then when i started coming out again i told my best friend whos gay so i knew hed be okay with it, and my other best friend who is also an ex of mine but thats not a problem

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I just couldn't hold it in and I told a girl I trusted but not someone I knew extremely well. I kind of forced myself to do it and it was awkward.

For a first time I'd recommend maybe more of a plan but what I did worked out well for me.

3. dairyuu

I wasn't planning to tell my parents until I got a boyfriend (I was twelve when I came out, and I've still never had a boyfriend), but one of my friends correctly guessed my crush and I ended up telling her, and it went from there. I told her mainly because she's super liberal and wouldn't judge.

4. Mercuree

I whatsapp'ed a lesbian friend of mine in the wee hours of the morning (whom I had been considering coming out to) after having had way too much to drink my phone had gone on the blink shortly after. I woke up with a vague recollection (and a major hangover!) and I was like "please god tell me it didn't go through.." but it did. And she was cool. I'm glad it happened else I don't know whether I ever would've gotten the courage to come out and say it.

5. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    He was my best friend,we were alone and I was into him.There wasn't much thought in it,it really just kinda hapened.

6. starships

I haven't told them yet.

But they've been my friend for years and I trust them alot.

Wow that sounded so common and hollywood :kiss:

7. timo

I wanted to come out to my best friend first, cause we're pretty close, but for some reason I couldn't tell him... I think I thought it would be hard to tell a straight guy when coming out for the first time. So the first person I told was another friend (a girl), who I knew would take it well. Two months forward - I'm out to 3 people now (including said best friend, who was also really accepting) and I don't really feel the need to tell anyone else unless they ask or talk about the subject.

8. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I told my best friend from University. Of course I didn't tell him until after our three year University course and he was back home. I told him whilst we were chatting facebook and it went from there. To be more specific I got not saying it directly and just giving him clues like "I've been having a difficult time" and when he asked if he could help I said "Not sure. Don't know how you'll take it" and he sorta guessed from there.

It accepted it and was fine with it. So I didn't loose a friend if anything it made our friendship better since he was the first person I told.

9. secretguyX

The first person I told wasn't the first person I wanted to tell. She was asking me at lunch who I liked, and after a million guesses and asking for hints, she asked if I liked a girl, and well, I wasn't going to lie.

The first person I wanted to tell was my friend since early elementry school, who I still am friends with. I never actually got the chance to tell her, I always made excuses like, "I'll do it next time we talk" or etc.... She ended up finding out from my tumblr... Plus she was far from the first person to find out...

10. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my parents first. I felt like I owed it to them. Especailly my Mom, because she is always saying that she wishes I'd talk to her more. Had I not told them first, I would have told my sis and bffs.

11. Andane

Well, I didn't really plan on coming out when I did per se. Although, I had been wanting to tell this person for awhile since he was one of my closest, open-minded friends I knew I could trust (he was outwardly homophobe-phobic you could say xD). Anyway, we were actually both playing WoW together, when he started talking about this girl he thought he was falling in love with =P Well, it wasn't long before he asked if there was a girl I had felt that way for. At this point I just got this idea in my head that it was now or never, and I had to do it before I chickened out. I swear it took me literally 20 minutes to finally hit the enter button to send that one simple statement, but I did. After which I panicked and promptly logged off.

He didn't really directly bring it up for awhile, (he didn't want to make me uncomfortable) but he was readily accepting.

So yeah, basically to sum it up, it didn't really plan my first coming out, it just kinda happened when the opportunity arose and I refused to allow my sorry ass to chicken out again :lol:

12. silkfrog1292

I chose mine because of three reasons:

1. She's my bestfriend, and i have a hunch she would be accepting or at the very least tolerant

2. I was seriously contemplating suicide when i told her. I know that if i didn't tell her i would've acted on it.

3. She's the only one online that night

13. Travel Tech

Depends on what you mean...

Technically the first person I chose was a counselor, but I don't really count that because I didn't really know him, it was confidential, and it was his job.

The second person was my campus LGBT coordinator, who I also don't really count because I was sort of referred to her through my counselor.

Then there was a guy in my campus alliance group, which I guess is coming out, but I didn't really know him and I was referred to him by the previous person.

The first person I redoubtably came out to was my mom, and I was nervous as hell. I choose her because I can talk to her easily and trust her. I knew she supported LGBT rights and knew she wouldn't be angry or anything. Also, I'm very close to my mom.

14. ryanninjasheep

Well, thw first REAL coming out was him
    Because he deserved to know

15. I told my still best friend who i still have a crush on -.- wish i had the balls to tell him the second part. Oh well, i'll tell him eventually.

16. Fiddledeedee

I told my brother first because I get on well with him, he has discretion, and I was 100% certain he would be accepting and all.

17. LetterA

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I told my best friend from my freshman year of high school, who is an open lesbian. I needed support from the first person who knew, and I knew there would be no one more supportive. Since then I've only told this site and two other people in real life...

18. aeva

I think I told my best friend of 14 years first. I knew she'd be really supportive and amazing...and she was, and continues to be. She even came to NYC Pride with me yesterday, and got even more into it than I did!

We were in my car, going to pick-up Chinese take-out, and it just sort of came up in discussion (I can't remember exactly how). The entire conversation went amazingly, and I consider myself so lucky to have such an incredibly understanding and supportive friend.

19. Ser Pounce

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told my parents first, because they more or less asked me and I didn't want to lie.

The first person I chose was a friend whom I don't see very often, but talk to online almost every day.
    Although I knew he was supportive, it was really hard to tell him, but since then telling the more "difficult" people has been a lot easier.

20. J Snow

I told the only gay "friend" I had, even though I hadn't talked to him much since high school and he had really become more of a gay acquaintance.