1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you say HOCD doesn't exists?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CLTLuis, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilbitlost

OP go and see a doc and see what/if you get diagnosed. Freaking out over OCD when youve not yet been diagnosed with it isnt going to do you any good. There might be something else wrong or nothing wrong at all, either way it'll help you calm down a little bit.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, Mr. CTLuis...

You've received a lot of replies from a lot of intelligent people who know a fuck of a lot more about being gay, being in denial, psychology, and a whole bunch of other things than you do.

You can nitpick tiny little pieces and pull them out of context, continue to pull stuff out of your ass to try and justify your viewpoint, or you can listen to what people are telling you.

But at this point, it would be beyond ridiculous to try and continue to argue that OCD and being in denial about being gay are the same thing, or even close to the same thing.

Maybe you have OCD, maybe you don't Who cares? I certainly don't. But whether or not you have OCD... you should see a therapist and get a proper workup to find out, rather than picking symptoms and fitting them to whatever disorder you find on the Net.

As for your sexuality... I tend to agree with the others; it seems like you're going to an awful lot of effort to try and prove to us that you are absolutely straight. When we've had people who are genuinely straight on EC, they don't spend a bunch of time trying to prove that to us. Just sayin'.

So... if you've tried to convince people that HOCD exists and is a legitimate diagnosis, you've failed, and will continue to do so because... as I said at the beginning... it isn't.

I would suggest you move onto another topic. If you want to genuinely explore whether or not you have same-sex attraction, we can probably help you with that. But only if you lose the OCD BS and talk about the issue itself. Otherwise, we're just talking in circles and wasting time.

If you aren't interested in exploring your feelings then there probably isn't much else EC can do for you, as we are a community for people exploring feelings and coming to terms with them, not a community of people trying to prove that a nonexistent condition exists.

3. CLTLuis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have to say "thank you" to you all. You had the patience to deal with me. I thought that preaching about homosexuality related OCD in a forum was going to help me, and that I was facing my OCD. But I'm not, I'm just having another compulsion: the need of people telling me that I'm straight.

At this point, I understand that I have to receive treatment. It's a little bit hard find a professional who really knows how to treat sexual related OCD (not just gay OCD, or paedophilia OCD, etc.) but well, I have to find one.

But I also have to argue that the start of my OCD had nothing to do with sexual or romantic feelings, I was just missing my father. Then, I started to think in a intrussive, disgusting way about possible romantic feelings with friends (something I never thought before OCD).

I'm not trying to change anyone but, I have to say Justinf, you need help. And it's understable. As BudderMC said: it's better being gay than being sick. I can't conceive you are trying to live a gay life when you're possibly not gay. I know you asked me to not talking about you possibly having OCD. It looks like you have more fear of having OCD than fear of being gay (although it started with fear of being gay). Some of the things you can't find when you possibly have OCD is an answer (something that we're seeking everywhere [in my case, in a LGBT forum]). As you told me that I might be gay (something I didn't had accepted, even when I have to), you should consider the idea of not being gay really.

I wouldn't say this, for example, to Lexington, who didn't appear to have any sign of having OCD. He simply doesn't have OCD.

I'm arguing without purpose, just trying to get a (temporary) relief for my OCD, instead of going to a real professional and starting to treat me.

Thank you, and greetings from this "white-coated kid". :lol:

4. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could highlight so many things in this post that I would like to say something about, and that I could successfully argue, but I'm not going to do it because it's just pointless and quite frankly I don't think you're worth it.

I would like to say this, though: It's one thing that you have a certain idea about your own problems, whether true or not, but now you're trying to put it on other people as well. I've gone through so much the last couple of months, it's been the worst months of my life, and then someone who doesn't know jack shit about me, comes and tells me that all this effort I put into understanding and accepting myself, the struggling, the hurt, the fear.. it was all a complete waste of time, because I am sick. And you seem to know exactly what sickness that is. All based on a few paragraphs I wrote online.
    You don't know anything about me, or what goes on in my head. Finally, for the first time in my entire life, I am truly happy. And you tell me it's fake. That is sick to me.

#24 justinf, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  5. sanguine

I dont get it, is CLTLuis in the closet or not?

seems like a troll to me

6. King

King Guest

^ ✔✔✔✔
    Thank you, sanguine.

King x

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh honey :frowning2: There's nothing wrong with loving another human being. If you are having feelings for someone or a specific gender then that's something you should be proud of. That's something that connects you to another person, it's not something that should be feared or avoided.

If you truly believe in this HOCD disorder then why are so many gay, lesbian, and bisexual couples happy together? Do you really believe they have some mental illness?

If a gay person is having 'straight' thoughts then that could easily mean they're bisexual. The fears of being gay or straight are mostly to do with social pressure. If you're gay you might not fit in with your straight peers, and if your straight you might not fit in with your gay peers. That's the fear, it's not some OCD mental disorder it's just fear of ridicule.

So you're afraid of being gay, it's not a big deal because a lot of people are. Just look at how it's treated in schools and in society. Some people are thrown out of there homes for being lgbt. There's plenty of reason to be afraid but coming out is about breaking down those walls of fear and accepting yourself for who you are.

You can't just coax through life hating part of you, what kind of life is that?

8. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

The key to beating OCD/HOCD is to stop living in fear and just accept it. Exposure therapy will help a lot from a psycologist that practices CBT. You need to get to a point of not caring, be like so what if I'm gay, I can still be happy. Nothing can turn you gay is you are not. OCD is about obsessing and anxiety. Does not actually mean you are not gay (yes that's a spike, but spiking is good, teach your mind this is not a threat). Good luck.

9. BudderMC

I could also say that you have the compulsion to be a sarcastic bastard, but that wouldn't be accurate either. What is accurate, however, is that we're disagreeing with you (mostly politely and with factual evidence), and you're now becoming unnerved, which translates into defensiveness.

I'm going to point this out once, but by your definition of OCD, you could define everything everyone does nearly every day as a form of OCD. That doesn't make it all OCD. If you choose to believe your desires are OCD, then so be it, but you're also probably going to live a really miserable life of denial.

No, you need to find someone who will properly diagnose you with OCD before anything else. Finding a professional and telling them you have HOCD is laced heavily with confirmation bias; of course they'll agree with you to get your money, and in the long run you'll end up suffering. Self-diagnosis, as I've said, is wrong in every sense of the word.

Disgusting is easily in the eye of the beholder, first off. Secondly, sex drive and sexual desires peak during puberty, which is about when you say your "OCD" started showing signs. Scapegoating your feelings onto your father is inappropriate, nor am I sure he likes very much that you're using him as an excuse.

I said that being gay isn't a disease, and that it's probably much simpler to accept that you're gay rather than convincing yourself you have a mental disorder.

I find this severely ironic considering you're refusing the possibility of being gay yourself.

In the context of this forum, "not being gay" is the same as saying "being straight". And straight guys aren't sexually interested in guys. I think everyone here who identifies as gay has considered that idea. In fact, most of us have lived as straight for the early years of our lives (even later for some people).

I like how you can judge that based off of one paragraph of information.

So, not only are you avoiding the real root of your problems (being gay), you're also avoiding the fake root of your problems (having this "OCD"). There is so much wrong with that I can't even begin to explain it. How on earth can you believe you truly aren't in denial?

P.S. You never replied to me. I'm hurt by that. :frowning2:

This is what I thought at first too, and am being more and more convinced of it... but hell, I love a good argument ("debate"), and it's good practice for me to apply my psych knowledge, so I'm not complaining.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I almost never say things like this, because fundamentally, I don't believe in judging people based on age... but I believe in this case, a bit part of CLTLuis' arrogance comes from being 16.

For many people, 16 is the age where they start thinking they know everything... it's part of the individuation process that almost every adolescent goes through, and I think part of the stubbornness has to do with that. I also suspect that, as others have said, it's a lot more likely that CLTLuis is gay or bi and in denial than it is that he's got homosexual anxiety arising from OCD.

But one thing that is simply inexcusable is to tell another member (in this case, JustinF), particularly one who has worked so hard to understand himself and get to a place of self-acceptance, that he "needs help."

CLTLuis, no offense, but you have absolutely no qualifications, knowledge, or experience to tell anyone anything, and certainly not to make an assessment about the psychological well being of anyone (apparently including yourself!), particularly when you don't know jack shit about what Justin has been through, how he's processed his feelings, how he arrived at the viewpoint he's come to, or where he is in his life. This sort of behavior is simply not acceptable on EC, and will not be tolerated.

So please... either drop this subject and work on your own stuff, or if you insist on beating this OCD horse into the ground, please do so on a forum for other people like yourself that think they have OCD instead of here.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best of luck. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. CLTLuis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Most of people say the same about me being a sarcastic bastard, maybe you're right. Also, you're not giving me any evidence (I provided two articles about homosexuality related OCD), you're just telling me your stories (which is fine, but I think they don't look like mine).
    Hmmm, maybe I didn't say well what OCD is. According to Mayo Clinic says: OCD obsessions are repeated, persistent and unwanted ideas, thoughts, images or impulses that you have involuntarily and that seem to make no sense. These obsessions typically intrude when you're trying to think of or do other things. I feel like that. When I told my story about seeing some resemblance of my father's face in other man, I never said that I felt something romantic or sexual (in my understanding, when people discovers that they're gay, feel sexual or romantic feelings, and they repress them because of many reasons: social, religious, etc.). Why I had a thought like "you (me) surely like him"? I don't know, but it has nothing to do with something romantic or sexual.

Mayo Clinic also says: Obsessions often have themes to them, such as: Fear of contamination or dirt; Having things orderly and symmetrical; Aggressive or horrific impulses; Sexual images or thoughts. You, as a psych student: what would you say to someone who's having intrusive pedophiles thoughts? to give a try? Whatever, pedophiles are a good thing for society, they even help kids to explore their sexuality. (I'm not saying the same about homosexuality, but sexual related OCD can't be solved with giving a try).
    I don't know what you say here: yes, you won me here. I know that self-diagnosis is wrong, but well, is the best idea I have for my thoughts.
    Let's say that my puberty started when I was 13. Then explain me: Why I had strong straight feelings before this? Why I felt shivers when I was near of a hot girl? Why I had several crushes and I suffered for them? Why I had boners when seeing a Playboy's magazine? Why I can't find gay thoughts arousing, but they're there in my mind playing with me? Why when the OCD started my libido decreased? Hmmm, I don't know, maybe is a sign of anxiety caused by OCD, or maybe it's just the flu. If all my straight story was just acting, damn! I'm such a good actor. If someday someone decides to make a mexican version of "Brokeback Mountain", you bet I'll be there.
    Of course I do! Because it simply doesn't fit with me. I had someday that intrussive thought and then it started. I just decided to put down the compulsions this monday! And of course I'm having a bad time.
    Did you found good your straight life? Because I do. I would be considering the idea of really being gay if straight life doesn't fitted me before, but I did. Sorry, I won't join to Gay Parade today.
    I like it too, thank you.
    Maybe because I was a straight person before this? Maybe because all I get when I check myself is anxiety? Maybe? Hmmm, no, probably it's just lupus.
    I just told my story, I don't think this paragraph needs any clarifications.
    I'm arrogant, that's for sure. I can't do so much about that. If I'm gay or bi, how do I got all that so real straight story before the OCD? As I said, if that all was acting, wow! I'm such a good actor.
    Sorry if I offended anyone, but what Justin told in this thread (I don't know about other threads) doesn't make so much sense to me. I'll not tell why to avoid any unnecesary fight.

Also, what can you say about qualifications, knowledge and experience?! You didn't even understood what the BrainPhysics article says!
    I'll try. Thanks for your patience.

Also, thanks for you response Fugs, confusedlady and Lexington

Greetings.

13. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please someone end this thread. I don't get aggressive very easily, but oh my God this thread just knows how to do it in a single paragraph

Enough is enough, I really think this thread does not belong on EC. EC is supposed to make people feel good and help them, not get them irritated and more confused..

And meanwhile we didn't get any step further: OP is still convinced his views are right, we're still convinced ours are right. All that's changed is that the posts have started to look more and more like personal attacks. This discussion is gonna lead nowhere.

14. CLTLuis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    In view of everybody's disagree, I won't respond in this thread anymore.

Just as the final response, I recommend you all to read this article: I'm Gay but You're Not (and Part 2), an article writed by a gay professor who suffered OCD (non gay related HOCD, but other types) and there he tells how different are real gay and HOCD cases.

Greetings

15. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, it is appreciated.

I don't hope you feel unwelcome at EC, though.. because I think it can be really helpful for you, even though you may not think so yet, yourself :wink: So, yeah, stick around!

16. lilbitlost

Urgh i keep feeling the urge to wander in here and tell people to calm down, but then i actually read the OP posts and bleh, stop trying to tell people what they are and are not! Its so arrogant. Also quit trying to enrage people and trying to turn the attention away from your issues, which isnt the OCD but having homosexual thoughts. Go and sit and have a damn long think, also go and see a doctor and dont tell them what you think youve got, tell them your symptoms. Bleh, just bleh.

17. BudderMC

You're providing evidence that OCD exists, which everyone knew. You haven't provided any credible evidence that HOCD exists or is recognized by major psychological/medical institutions.

What story have you given us? All you've said was that you lost your father, saw some man who reminded you of your father, and then all of a sudden between those two events got same-sex thoughts (but have concluded, somehow, that you have HOCD).

I could pull up articles on being gay and why homosexuality is actually an evolutionary mechanism and a whole bunch of other stuff, but it wouldn't matter to you because it wouldn't relate exactly to your story. I'm not going to try and prove something to you that you won't even bother listening to.

You also keep forgetting that everyone's story is different. If you're expecting to show up here and find someone who has exactly the same story as you, it probably won't happen. It's theorized that being gay or bi is something you are born with (though do not necessarily acknowledge until later in life). In this sense, the backstory doesn't matter; you either are or aren't gay. And I think you are, but you think you aren't.

If you're going to quote something, quote the whole section: With obsessive-compulsive disorder, you may realize that your obsessions aren't reasonable, and you may try to ignore them or stop them. But that only increases your distress and anxiety. Ultimately, you feel driven to perform compulsive acts in an effort to ease your stressful feelings. So, you're obsessing over same-sex thoughts, okay. Where's the compulsion? Certainly you aren't doing anything about it. You can't have OCD without the compulsion, which you don't seem to have, or I happened to miss reading it. Not to mention, as it says in the bold, trying to ignore your feelings is not the way to go about it.

Obsessing over same-sex thoughts? That's called "being closeted".

Well, that's the bottom line, and only a question you can answer. Do you like men, women, both, or neither sexually (as in I become aroused as I think of this type of person)? And none of this HOCD reasoning, it's a pretty straightforward question. We can apply HOCD afterwards. Take this one step at a time and answer the most obvious question first.

1) I'm not a psych student. I take psych courses because I have an interest in them.

2) By this link, you'll note that pedophilia is a psychiatric disorder, not a form of OCD. Or rather, it's a form of OCD in the same sense that nearly EVERY disorder is a form of OCD. Pedophilia is also illegal pretty much everywhere. To compare pedophilia to homosexuality is very incorrect and also insulting.

3) You still have not proven (with any credible source) that you have a sexually-related form of OCD, so please stop saying that.

Let me put it this way: if you're legitimately concerned about having a mental health condition like OCD then here is not the place to get help. I said it before, I'm not out to "get you" or "win", I'm here to help you figure out what exactly it is you are (which could very well be a guy with HOCD, I just don't know that yet). So combating everything I'm trying to explain to you doesn't help either of us.

1) You could have had strong straight feelings before because we live in a heteronormative society. You could have had those feelings (non-sexual) towards girls because of the feeling that it's "what you're supposed to do when growing up" and the attention that comes from it. Allowing yourself to be intimate (non-sexual) with someone beyond your family is something everyone has to go through at some point.

2) Your sexual reaction to Playboy magazines could be because well, you're a teenager. Teenage boys get aroused at nearly anything and for no explicable reason. They get aroused for the sake of getting aroused. Or, maybe you actually had sexual attraction to those women. Who knows.

3) Your sex drive likely decreased because of all the anxiety you're facing. The process of losing your identity and searching for it again is painstaking, no matter what "identity" you've lost (so it isn't limited just to gay people). Anxiety comes from an astounding number of sources beyond OCD. And on that note, nearly everyone here who has done some identity-searching and come out experienced endless amounts of anxiety over the course of that time.

And just to clarify, when I said in a previous post that sex drive is higher in gay/bi people, that'd be for people who have "come out" and are open about their sexuality. There's no reason for closet-cases to have responded to the studies, being closeted and anxious about it.

Of course it doesn't fit with you. Very few people have a major identity shift and just go "oh, okay" and carry on with their lives like nothing happened.

Please explain to me your idea of "straight life" and "gay life". Because since I've figured out who I am and come out, my life hasn't changed a whole lot. If anything, I've been happier because I haven't been dealing with constant anxiety.

18. CLTLuis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Sorry, I'm completely sorry. I thought that you know that I'm having obsessions and compulsions because I said this' OCD. But I wasn't completely clear, sorry.

¿Obsessions? Fear of being gay.

¿Compulsions? Watching gay porn to see if I get aroused (which never happened); Checking males (even unattractive ones) at the street or public transport to see if I get aroused (which also never happened); Putting myself into mental homosexual situations to see if I get aroused (never happened); Watching every woman I see to check if I get aroused (sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't); Reading coming out stories to see if they're like my situation; Remembering past straight situations... These are all I can remember right now.

Also, doing the compulsion gives me relief for some time, but the doubt comes back again.

Greetings.

19. BudderMC

^ isn't the purpose of the compulsion to do something that removes the fear from your head? For example, if you're obsessing over germs being everywhere, you wash your hands to make sure you're clean. If you're obsessing over same-sex thoughts, wouldn't you be engaging in opposite-sex activities to prove yourself wrong?

What you're describing by attempting to face your fears somewhat head-on is well... the process of accepting yourself, whether you like it or not.

20. CLTLuis

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, it does remove the fear, telling me that when I see males, or I see gay porn, I don't feel anything. And also, I do things to prove my straight sexuality (as I said, checking my attraction to females, I also masturbate with straight porn to see if I'm really aroused to it).

Greetings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.