1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help/Support from LGBT Christians or Peeps from faith backgrounds

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by warrior452, Aug 7, 2017.

1. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heading back to an anti-LGBT college in order to appease my parents. I'm fine with the decision as I know how to survive in those environments, and I will be done with my degree in a year or two. However, I feel really alone this time going back, and like I have to let go of everything I am in order to make it in those environments again. I know it's going to prevent me making friends there, because I have to hold people at an arm's length so they don't find out and judge me or worse. I've just spent so much time and energy coming to accept myself for who and what I am, and now I'm going back into an environment that says that's not okay. TO BE CLEAR: it's a great school that really loves its kids. I like the school. I'm fine with the decision. It's weird. I'm fine with it, but I also don't have peace about it.

Sorry, that probably sounds really confusing or "What is he asking exactly?"

Any LGBT kids/adults from faith backgrounds or LGBT Christians that can sympathize or have any support to give? People who did Bible college but couldn't come out and had to survive? What were your outlets while still flying under the radar? I know it's my decision and if I choose to go back I'm choosing to deal with the consequences. I already have put in three years at a similar faith based college, and I just want to finish my last year or two and be done. But I'm still not entirely at peace/anxious for the days ahead

2. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up in a Christian fundamentalist family and attended a private Christian school from kindergarten to high school so while I didn't attend a Christian college I know what you mean about having to hide a part of yourself. No, it's not easy. My outlets back then were pretty self destructive, so I wouldn't recommend any of them, but if there's any way for your to meet other LGBT people - a group at a nearby city, other GLBT people on campus- they are out there - even at places like Biola - and they are slowly getting together and demanding their rights. I don't think anyone would/could force you go to public, but at least you'd get to meet some people who are gay and in the same environment. The hard part of course is finding them.

Other than that, keep posting. Meeting gay people online is better than being totally isolated. Also, keeping busy with hobbies and exercise can help you feel less frustrated/stressed. In the end... nothing to do but wait it out and hope time passes quickly.