1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gifts and Compliments That Annoy You...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 26, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gifts: Cash, Checks, and Credit are accepted. No clothes, please.
    I have a very particular sense of style, and if you aren't my girlfriend or my mom, you probably don't get it. I don't care how weird I might look, but I don't want that Hollister hoodie. It's not my style.

Compliments:
    I can't stand compliments that people use just to get what they want. I can't think of one in particular that's annoyed me, though. I just hate that people rarely see me as more than polite, and assume I'm a pushover. I suppose that's my own fault for building up that image for years, though.

2. secretagent

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate getting complimented on my height or how skinny I am these are the things i'm really insecure about but people usually like (5.8 and 116 lb).
    I hate getting clothes because most people don't understand that I don't want to dress girly.

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When my cat decides it's cute to eviscerate a mouse and puke its blood into his food dish. And then purr and try to cuddle with me.
    And serial murder baby bunnies, the heads never to be found... These sort of gifts annoy me.

4. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My past boyfriend caused me to have a pure dislike for being gifted items that are on sale. I don't mind being gifted things but gifting half-price Mother's Day flowers (yes, really) and saying how they wanted to 'get me something nice' and how it was the 'thought that counts' is wrong on so many levels. Maybe it's just me but some people just can't seem to grasp the idea of a thoughtless gift.

Although I'm quite thin, on the occasion I've put on just enough weight to make getting into some clothing a little more difficult. Logically this means I've gained a little weight whether it be muscle or fat. Trying to get someone to understand that when I say I've become a little fatter doesn't mean to say I think myself fat, it's just to say that physically I have put on some weight. To hear a response of, 'You're not fat!' just irritates the hell out of me.

#24 Vesta, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

People don't often give me gifts, so I'm always curious as to the motives. The same with compliments...

I'll bask in any and all compliments, all day, every day. But I know what traits people emphasize on when they're faking genuineness and when they want something, so you had best carefully choose your words and focus.

I personally welcome both, because it reveals more to me about others than, sometimes, actually spending time with them... do tell me how lovely my eyes are or how charming I am, but more importantly, tell me why you're telling me this...

Then again, I'm kind of weird...

LOL.

Serious time, I guess?
    The only real gift complaint I have is, if you're going to give me something, make sure it is either something I could use or enjoy. Socks are tolerable, but money is preferred -- I'll buy my own socks if I really need them. Folks that know me, either give me money or something they are 99.9% confident I'll like. It has taken a while, but it's been paying off the past two or three years.

Compliments, the only one I find grating is "you're so smart". But only because it's the go-to, I-have-no-idea-what-to-say default compliment. If you're going to use "you're so smart", then you had best follow it up with something specific. Am I smart like Einstein or Dr. Frankenstein? There is a difference, LOL.

On a more serious note, I can handle anything male exclusive. You know, "you're pretty fuckin' manly" and "you have a kick ass Viking beard"-type compliments. It's true, I am pretty awesome, but that isn't the point... they usually just remind me of how much I fail in regards to "passing".

But, you know, it doesn't do me any real good to bitch and cry about that, because it will come. In the meantime, I can work on other aspects of my life, and hit the ground running when my time does come.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. Family are always picking out shirts with confederate flags and shit like that on them, or horribly expensive "popular kid" shirts that aren't even comfortable. If they'd just get some plain shirts with pictures of cats on them I'd be okay with it.
    Also, cheap perfume. It makes my allergies go nuts.

As far as "complements" go people around here love to relate any little positive aspect somebody has to their religion "Gawd made ya like that for a good reason" ignoring both the negative aspects and the fact that I'm not part of it. I don't want to be associated with it.

Of course I just pretend to accept it, and try to forget about it and go about my business. I'm not the assertive type at all.

7. SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat Guest

Gifts - I never take it from my friends. Because I don't like gifts to be received from the anybody else. My friends also know my nature.
    Compliments I always get from my friends and from my family that I am very pretty, intelligent, blah blah.....I know that when people love to give compliments... when there is something work which has to done by me then they used to give compliments...

8. CyanChachki

It's not so much WHAT they are, it's more of the quality/effort. If it's damaged or poorly put together or falling apart, I feel like there wasn't enough effort put into the idea and that maybe I'm not as high on your totem poll as I should be. I mean, get me anything from the dollar store and I'll be happy with it but if it looks like it should be thrown out, I just don't think it's cool.

As for compliments, it really depends on how a person says it. I've been told that I look nice and I've thanked the person for their genuine compliment, but then there are those who say it either to make fun, or to get something out of me, by playing with my emotions.

#28 CyanChachki, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  9. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Chocolate. If they had known me enough, they could've done a better job. I like them but it's clear that they put no effort in it.

I don't like it when people say I'm nice.
    Oh sure it's nice to be nice(pun unintended). It's not fun being a doormat.

10. candyjiru

Hmm, I actually don't like gifts very much... I'd much rather have a handwritten letter or a poem or something~~ But, the gifts I hate the most are things that collect dust XD;;; I prefer very minimalist decor and I hate having to find room (or storage, lol) for some giant wooden vase (you know who you are >.>) that I can't throw away because if you ever come over I'll need to show it off and pretend I like it T.T

As for compliments... sigh. I get a lot of foreigner compliments... they're really annoying because they're pretty stereotypical and make me feel stupid... "Wow! You can use chopsticks!!!" "Wow! You can eat spicy food???" "Wow! You can speak Korean so well!!!" (especially after saying something simple like, "can I pay by card?" or even "hello" >.> like, omg I really am good at Korean! I studied a ton by myself and worked hard at it and I can say so much more than thank you and hello!!) I guess it's also because these things are said with genuine shock (OMG how can this white girl eat kimchi???) or with such a patronizing tone... sigh...

I also get, "wow, you're actually pretty smart!" a lot, too... I know I look like a stereotypical dumb blonde, but do you have to say that to my face? sigh~~ Luckily for the rest of the world, I am incredibly longsuffering and just smile politely whenever I encounter these kinds of slights-- I mean, compliments... XD;;;

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Compliments such as....

"You're so smart for a [_____]"
    "You're pretty goodlooking for a [_____]"
    "You're not like other [insert anything you would expect here] I've met, you're actually pretty cool!"

You get the gist. Don't compliment me by subtly insulting a whole group of people in the process, and a part of my identity.

And stuff like, "you're finally cleaning up after yourself, and becoming just like the nice lovely mature woman you're supposed to be!" That irks me for obvious reasons, though I get they weren't deliberately trying to bother me.

#31 Alder, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  12. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Woah, woah, wish. There are people who don't like getting socks for Christmas? 0.0 I get offended if I am not given socks on Christmas :wink:

Any backhanded compliment is a terribly annoying thing to me, because I don't know how to respond :slight_smile:

13. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clothes. Except from my sister. They just don't...fit, sometimes.

Books-unless I tell you the exact name-save the thought and give me the cash instead. I don't buy books often, anyway-I go through them too quickly, so it's a waste of money.

The worst compliments...anything about my acne. Yeap.

14. Jellal

The only compliment I hate is being called "handsome."

In general, I don't like being given gifts unless it's from my friends! Otherwise I feel like I'm being bribed.

15. YinYang

This exactly. I hate traditionally 'girly' clothes, and I love t-shirts that are huge on me. If you are going to get me clothes, you better know what I like. If not, don't even bother.

I don't usually get many compliments, so I don't really know any compliments that I would hate :confused:

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My grandma loves to get me clothes she got from a garage sale. I only wear them when she comes over to make her feel better. Also when my mom buys me clothes I don't need/want then I just throw them in the back of my dresser never to be seen again.

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Insincere compliments and thoughtless gifts.

I would rather suffer low esteem than have people falsely build me up.
    I would rather feel neglected than have a gift that was given out of a sense of obligation, rather than because they felt I would enjoy it and wanted me to be happy.

18. thepandaboss

Gifts... I'd say I usually don't like getting food- goes away too fast. Also not a huge fan of getting clothes unless it's from someone who knows what I like.

As far as compliments... Hate being called cute or innocent. I look underage so that sounds creepy. And the infamous "oh it looks like you've lost weight". Well...I was still okay 2 pounds ago, right?

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2015 at 11:03 AM ----------

Oh and I almost forgot one. "Wow you're so talented/mature/responsible for your age!" I'm in my early 20s. I can enlist in the military and if I sleep with a 17 I'm going to prison. It annoyed the shit out of me when people were telling me that when I was 16, now it's even worse. Yeah, I'm barely 21. But you know what? I have to work, survive, etc. If I'm good at what I do, just tell me straight up. But adding on "for your age" sounds so backhanded, like I'm still not good enough to run around with the "grown ups".

19. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate when my granny tells me I would look really pretty with short hair. -.-

20. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Annoying compliments:
    Your voice is so deep.
    I wish we could trade voices.
    You are so strong.
    You are stronger than him.
    You are stronger than that little wimp.
    You should try out for (insert sport).

No gift is annoying, if I do not like it, some guy on Ebay will.