1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generally coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Broodyvamp, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Broodyvamp

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey all,

So at this point I'm sort of past the whole in the closet thing, most of my family members know I'm gay, and all of my friends. I attended an LGBT social group at my university for the entire year. I'm at a relatively good place in my own head space with being comfortable with my sexuality.

I recently started back up with my summer job and I have new coworkers. I guess it's just brought some attention to the fact that by default I am assumed to be straight. This has happened at my job because on occasion we have slow times where there is time to talk about life stuff with my colleagues. Somehow relationships/dating stuff always comes up. It actually bugs me so much when people just assume I would be attracted to men. For example, my coworkers decided to play that childhood game MASH where you have to choose 4 ideal partners you would want to have in your hypothetical life. When it came to my turn I was just internally freaking out and just gave some generic attractive male celebrity names because of embarrassment I guess. Maybe this means I'm not 100% secure with myself, I don't know. All I know is that I felt horrible after that happened and did not have a pleasant rest of my work shift. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on casually coming out to people in general when something like this happens. The people I work with are not homophobic and there would not be anyour consequences to me coming out.

Also does anyone else absolutely hate answering the question of which celebrity they think is attractive? I absolutely hate getting that question from people! Both when I was really closeted and now as well.

Thanks EC

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I sympathise completely. I had hear kind of issues all the time when I was first coming out and getting used to being gay and out. The problem is you only have a split second in which to decide whether to come out or not and often the brain takes the defensive option. The more you get used to talking openly about being gay the easier it will become honestly. Maybe if someone else is talking about a female celebrity you like you could just jump in with yeah she is hot or something. I'm not great at casual though.