1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gays want to be seen as "normal" yet they dress up feminine at pride events.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BearLover, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kem

kem

I dunno, I think he's just wearing his snack as a headgear... It's not like there's anything stopping him from nabbing a Cavendish from his headpiece.

2. jahow95

A good summary of the argument for the OP... but again I would never tell them they could not do it.

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2014 at 07:33 PM ----------

Nothing, but some people don't want to be, or be perceived as such

#22 jahow95, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  3. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure at a gay pride parade there are tons of different types of gays, flamboyant and masculine. I can tell you from experience that I wear the same long sleeve shirt and dress pants as I always do. That's what makes it diverse.

Would it be as fun if these people weren't there? I actually find it quite fun, because it's something you don't see at other parades.

I know where he's coming from, but the whole argument is pretty ironic.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

butch lesbians want to be seen as "normal" yet they dress masculine at pride events.

is this a problem too op or are you just projecting your insecurities abouy masculinity on gay men and how they present themselves at parades, events notable for getting the lgbt community safely out to show people we arent a rare species to be hidden away and not spoken of

5. Joelouis

It seems odd to me that some people just can't grasp the idea of what those people who take part in these Pride events are actually doing.
    All they are doing is dressing up for the event like many people dress up for carnivals etc.

I'm pretty sure the guy with the banana wig doesn't go to work dressed like that!

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A pride parade is about acceptance and individuality. Would say the same thing to women who have short hair and wear masculine clothes at gay pride parades because I noticed all of your photos are of gay men.

7. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

That hit the spot.

I concur.

8. SomeLeviathan

this.

Also: Stereotype threat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. JustJJx

What makes you think dressing as feminine is weird? Or bad?
    Why do we have to conform to what society says we should?

Oh yeah here have you parade but don't do anything weird or you might offend the cis straight people -_-

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Gay people are people , gay people can be masculine or feminine , so can straight people too I have two aunts that people would think they were lesbians ,because they shaved their just like a guys and don't dress in feminine clothing but they have husbands and are only attracted to men . It's not gay people alone that dress different from gender roles .

Why can't we just go about just being people like the others said this is just homophobic .:dry:
    and what is up with this normal thing any way .:confused:

11. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, I see 2 sides to the argument.

That's a good example that you use, black pride going out as drug dealers puts black men in a bad light.

My point is that although I have no problem with feminine or weird people, they are purposely portraying gay men in a bad light, the main reason why someone doesn't come out of the closet is because gay men are laughed at because they are thought of as feminine, they even do the gay hand gesture which associates homosexuality with femininity.

I'm not saying being feminine is weird, you're being defensive. I'm saying that the general public doesn't think too much of feminine men that dress up like that, they look at feminine gays like that and laugh, when someone is going out and saying "this is who we are." it's basically strengthening the stereotypes which ultimately gives gay men a hard time. People are still homophobic, if you're going to dress up like that then they are going to be even more homophobic and creeped out by gay men.

You want the world to see you as normal and be accepted, yet gay pride events just strengthen the stereotypes, yes you can wear what you like but is it really helping other people in the LGBT community? Just because you have the ability to pretend that you don't care what people think doesn't mean other people don't, you might like dressing up like a woman but why should everyone else pay for it?

At the end of the day, it's GAY pride not feminine pride. Maybe feminine gay men should create their own event and call it something different, wear what you like but you're just giving other people in the gay community a hard time, many men stay in the closet and live a lie. Gay teenager commit suicide more than the general population. Why is this? Because of the gay stereotypes, gay pride doesn't help this...

Another example: having a german pride event and dressing up like hitler, how comfortable do you think the germans are going to be after that?

12. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you completely ignore the other posts on purpose?

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How is being feminine a bad thing and lumped up with drug dealers ?:confused:

14. BearLover

BearLover Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not saying femininity is a bad thing. I don't have a problem with it myself.

But look at the rest of society, isn't that the reason why gay men are criticized and hated? Why do so many people laugh at gay men? They think of gay men as having handbags and dressing up like women etc.

Using the drug dealer stereotype is a extreme example but aren't drug dealers even seen in a better light than gay men now? Many youngsters think drug dealers are cool, I wouldn't.

Do you see what I mean? I agree that people should be allowed to dress in whatever they like but to go to gay pride events and wearing feminine clothes just labels all gay men as feminine, you're projecting the wrong image out to society. It's not helping the gay community become accepted or lose it's labels. Wouldn't it be nice to have a world where people just see a gay man as a regular guy without the feminine stereotypes? People are uncomfortable coming out as gay because the feminine people at gay pride events create this.

If you want to wear what you like, dressing up feminine at gay pride events then you can't really complain that the world is associating gay men with femininity. I thought gay men wanted to lose the stereotypes.

15. Gen

Gen

This thread is truly shameful. I would take the time to respond to a number of the ridiculous statements within it, but I genuinely haven't the slightest clue where to begin.

While it might not come in my lifetime, I sincerely hope there will come a day when all gender and sexual minorities realize that pursuing this idealistic image of normality and pandering to the expectations of traditional society rather than encouraging its growth helps no one. It was not the job of blacks to teach western society that they had souls; that they were equally human; that they deserved to have rights and freedom. It is not the duty of a woman to dedicate her life to convincing men that she is worth more than an object of pleasure and a domestic servant.

It is not the responsibility of victims of social oppression and ridicule to mold themselves in ways that combat the simplistic views that the ignorant of society hold for them. These individuals are not presenting themselves as the staple of their social demographic; they are simply presenting themselves as entities within it. Acknowledging that feminine men, masculine women, and gender variant people exist. Highlighting the complete nonsense that exists within this notion that if heterosexuals accept people who are attracted to the same sex, the struggle will end because this is the LGBTQ community. Because people in society do not need to have their perceptions of normality in expression, presentation, and gender challenged.

Yet despite all of this, the thing that never fails to amuse me about masculine men and feminine women who complain about being associated with people and things that they don't identify with is the extreme irony of it all. As shocking as it may seem, I was associated with things that I didn't identify with far before I came out. Far before I was even sound enough to understand the concepts of sexuality, gender, and expression. As a child, I was associated with colors I could wear and couldn't wear. The interests I could have and the interests I could never admit to having. The ways in which I could present myself and the ways in which I was forbidden.

Because I was born with one chromosome over another, I was associated with over three and a half billion people. I was associated with an endless amount of stereotypes, ideals, and expectations that plague me to this day and the ridicule I had to face in the times I chose to combat them. Interestingly enough, I do not blame masculine and stereotypical men for painting a false image of the members of my sex. When I am faced individuals ignorant enough to make assumptions about my character based on the perceptions created by those men, I blame the ignorant for their own ignorance.

Claiming to be encouraging of the dismantlement of detrimental gender and sexual archetypes in society while attempting to distance oneself from anything that could even slightly go against what they believe to be "normal" is a special kind of idiocy. To those who want to be accepted as normal by society, yet discourage representation of certain people within a demographic on the basis that they are not "normal" themselves, I wholeheartedly encourage you to reevaluate your logic and get over yourself.

16. SomeLeviathan

#36 SomeLeviathan, Aug 3, 2014
  17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

So because the general public thinks poorly of feminine men, they should all be forced to follow a dress code at an even all about being free to be yourself? Those who are not gender conforming shouldn't have to make themselves more acceptable, other people should find a way to accept. You say that you have no problem with trans* people, but saying people must conform to gender stereotypes is still policing how people should be.

Is it true that most gay men are masculine? I think it is. However I think that something you seem to be forgetting about is this: a good amount of gay men are feminine and flamboyant. I've known more straight flamboyant men than gay ones. Associating being gay and being flamboyant is society's problem, not the flamboyant men's problem. Also some other people have asked this but you haven't said anything yet. Do you have a problem with women in these events who dress up in male clothes? Or is it just men that you find a problem with?

Also trying to compare something to Hitler is always a ridiculous tactic to try to get people to see your point, and follows the same logical protocols as those trying to make a slippery slope argument against homosexuality.

#37 Wuggums47, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe it's an individual choice.

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I get what your saying but I don't agree with you , you don't need to be manly to be a man . You sound no different than the homophobes that tell gay people to man up . You almost sound like this guy minus the violence . I kept thinking of this guy the whole time I read your responses

[youtube]fTiBv99MYDk[/youtube]

#39 stocking, Aug 3, 2014
  20. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

MAYBE if "MASCULINE" gays went to these events more often, we wouldn't be having this "problem" if they want to be like that than so what! They have the right to act the way they please and dress the way they please and feel that no one will judge them. You say you want the LGBT+ community to be seen as more masculine the truth is NOT ALL MEMBERS OF THE LGBT+ COMMUNITY ARE MASCULINE, so let them be them. You worry about being you.

I have the right to express or share, my opinion with you. You have the right to push it aside or ignore it :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.